Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Dog spent whole flight Toronto to Ottawa on owners lap

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2020, 4:53 pm
Original Poster

Lovely lap dog the row ahead of us today (Toronto to Ottawa). Guessing 20 pound poodle. No carrier, no "support" vest. Spent the trip on owner's lap.

Not really complaining (dog was well behaved).
But, if this is legal, I. have a lovely 15 pound poodle who would love to come on my next trip (too leggy to fit under the seat ahead).
IBobi likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 4:56 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
No, it's not allowed. "Your pet must [...] [r]emain at all times in a closed pet carrier stowed under your seat."

Did the flight crew not do anything about this?
Old Mar 1, 2020, 5:05 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
The owner likely claimed it was a service dog. Otherwise they wouldn't even be allowed to board with an uncrated pet.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 5:44 pm

Programs: Sardine Class
Originally Posted by eigenvector
The owner likely claimed it was a service dog. Otherwise they wouldn't even be allowed to board with an uncrated pet.
According to Air Canada's Website :

As evidence that the animal you are travelling with is a service animal, you may present an identification card or other written document, carry tags or a harness for your animal, or provide credible verbal assurance.
By "credible verbal assurance", I assume they can physically prove they need it, like having hear aids, however, I may be wrong.

I would assume the dog was in the crate, then let out, and either the crew didn't care, or the owner purposely hid it while they were around, I would likely say the latter.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 5:50 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by CanuckMoose

By "credible verbal assurance", I assume they can physically prove they need it, like having hear aids, however, I may be wrong.

I would assume the dog was in the crate, then let out, and either the crew didn't care, or the owner purposely hid it while they were around, I would likely say the latter.
OP said there was no carrier present at all. Unless this dog was so small that it was hidden during boarding, the owner surely would have been queried by the GA about it.

Now, not everyone who uses a service dog looks like they need one. Think of a seizure alert dog. Nor should people who have disabilities be required to prove that. But most people with trained service animals have documentation on the animal.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 5:50 pm
Original Poster

Dog was on a leash at the gate. Left the plane on a leash.
No crate at any time.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 5:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by CanuckMoose

ID cards, written documents, carry tags, and harnesses can all be purchased very quickly and cheaply over the internet. These requirements don't provide any protection against fake support/service animals, aka pets who travel loose and free.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 5:55 pm

Programs: Sardine Class
Well if that's the case, the only reasonable guess I could come up with is the boarding agent was too new to know, and that flight crew didn't want the hassle of dealing with it for the short YYZ-YOW flight.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 6:50 pm
Original Poster

Didn't see any reaction from boarding agent, flight crew or the 8-10 Air Canada uniformed passengers.

Dog was well behaved (few barks at gate - not the least bit hidden).
But, if that dog was a support dog it must be really easy to do.
Mine loves to lap sit on car drives. Imagine she'd be as good in a plane. Would even arrange for spouse to be my seat neighbour.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 6:54 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by eigenvector
Now, not everyone who uses a service dog looks like they need one. Think of a seizure alert dog. Nor should people who have disabilities be required to prove that. But most people with trained service animals have documentation on the animal.
I don't think it should be necessary to declare a medical problem which is dealt with by the presence of a service animal.

I do however think it should be necessary for service animals themselves to have some well regulated documentation and license.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by annehamnitz
Dog was well behaved (few barks at gate - not the least bit hidden)..
Definitely not a genuine service animal in that case.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 9:41 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM
I was on YVR/YYZ in J recently (787) and somebody brought on a dog that was not a service animal. The dog was in a soft crate but they put it on their lap. The SD clearly noted this should't be happening but in the end let it slide. Dog was well behaved so I didn't care. But I think sometimes the SD balances the rules vs an in-flight joust.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 2:20 am

Originally Posted by yowcat
I was on YVR/YYZ in J recently (787) and somebody brought on a dog that was not a service animal. The dog was in a soft crate but they put it on their lap. The SD clearly noted this should't be happening but in the end let it slide. Dog was well behaved so I didn't care. But I think sometimes the SD balances the rules vs an in-flight joust.
Similar "not a lap size dog on lease" event on recent Q400 flight. FA moved person in "F“ to an empty row so the lady would have more space for her and the very well behaved dog.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 3:22 am

Programs: AC*SE; AC 2MM; Marriott Platinum Elite
[QUOTE=RangerNS;32131016] ... I do however think it should be necessary for service animals themselves to have some well regulated documentation and license.

Worth noting ... there is no accredited, official or regulated registration or training process in Ontario for service animals (outside of seeing eye dogs) as far as I know. As was pointed out earlier in this thread any dog owner can go online and pay $40 or so and get 'documentation'.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.