Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Shocking Experiences Onboard AC Flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 29, 2020, 10:16 pm
Original Poster

1) A flight attendant said to me "If I have to serve water to everyone on this flight, I'll kill myself."

2). A flight attendant, seated in a jumpseat, screaming at the top of her lungs "SEATBELT! SIT DOWN!" Due to where I was seated, I couldn't see exactly what prompted this. As we were taxing out and waiting in the queue to take off, I assume that a passenger had stood up to get something from the overhead bin; as such, she had to ensure that everything was safe as takeoff could have been imminent. In this case, not so much shocking as surprising, I guess.

What about yours?
Old Feb 29, 2020, 10:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I don't see any issue with the second one.
Finkface, karachi, ecc and 19 others like this.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 10:30 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I don't see any issue with the second one.
Me neither. This is a serious issue and I've seen FAs react very aggressively in this scenario on every airline where I've seen it happen. Off the top of my head, LH, UA, and LA for sure.
Redhead and ecc like this.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 12:40 am

Programs: Aeroplan (Silver), Air Miles, IHG Rewards (Platinum)
Originally Posted by Nagoya172
1) A flight attendant said to me "If I have to serve water to everyone on this flight, I'll kill myself."

2). A flight attendant, seated in a jumpseat, screaming at the top of her lungs "SEATBELT! SIT DOWN!" Due to where I was seated, I couldn't see exactly what prompted this. As we were taxing out and waiting in the queue to take off, I assume that a passenger had stood up to get something from the overhead bin; as such, she had to ensure that everything was safe as takeoff could have been imminent. In this case, not so much shocking as surprising, I guess.

What about yours?

I can't find in your post what your response to quote one was. Why only share one side of the story?
canadiancow likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 1:25 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium; WN A-list; UA Silver
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Me neither. This is a serious issue and I've seen FAs react very aggressively in this scenario on every airline where I've seen it happen. Off the top of my head, LH, UA, and LA for sure.
Yeah. They should use strong language for this.
I had a woman stand up and rush her kid into the forward lav on a Y4 flight and the FAs did nothing but facepalm. We were at most, 5 minutes out.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 2:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Worse, I have seen airlines which do not.

Once on TK, I saw them let a rabbi lie flat with no seat belt in business class through landing and taxiing.
Goaguy likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 3:20 am
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
The only thing shocking in this thread is the click-bait title. Kept on waiting for the interstitial ads between each sentence.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 3:24 am

Programs: AC*SM, M&M SEN, BA Gold, DL Gold; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Nagoya172
Are you implying her reaction was overblown, or not strong enough? Passengers who behave like this should get more than a verbal reprimand, IMHO.

bawm
Old Mar 1, 2020, 4:59 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by bawm
Are you implying her reaction was overblown, or not strong enough? Passengers who behave like this should get more than a verbal reprimand, IMHO.

bawm
Absolutely right. It wouldn't have bothered me if the FA added two words between "sit" and "down." The first being "the" and the second begins with an "f".
Old Mar 1, 2020, 5:52 am

I feel both stories fit one definition of "shocking" appropriately.

"causing a feeling of surprise and dismay"

In the case of the second one, to be shocking doesn't mean it was wrong on the part of the FA.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by yowspotter
I feel both stories fit one definition of "shocking" appropriately.

"causing a feeling of surprise and dismay"

In the case of the second one, to be shocking doesn't mean it was wrong on the part of the FA.
I'm shocked that anyone would find that surprising though.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 12:25 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 50K/Star Alliance Gold, Accor Gold, base level Marriott/Hyatt/Hilton
I remember seeing an old guy being practically shoved into his seat on LH470... while I sympathize with him in the sense that I doubt he's HON and knows all the rules, if he doesn't know them, he should be watching the safety video. I very much doubt that anyone, especially the FAs, would want a 200 pound projectile during takeoff.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 12:58 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I'm shocked that anyone would find that surprising though.
Because most FAs wouldn't say anything. It's the same shock I feel when a BC driver actually stops at a stop sign. I've lived here 6 years and I can count the occurrences on one hand.
YYC3722 likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Because most FAs wouldn't say anything. It's the same shock I feel when a BC driver actually stops at a stop sign. I've lived here 6 years and I can count the occurrences on one hand.
I just don't agree with your first sentence. I've heard it as recently as my last trip (on AC). I have never seen a passenger up during taxi/takeoff/landing without the FAs either shouting at them or making an announcement. This applies primarily to AC for me (due to where my experience is), but I've found UA pretty good at making those announcements too.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 1:47 pm

Programs: *$ Green
If I have to read one more thread like this, I'll

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.