Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Lufthansa metal, Aeroplan credit, how to book?

Old Feb 29, 2020, 5:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan

I need to purchase a J ticket to be flown of LH metal, crediting mileage to Aeroplan. Is it better to book with AC or LH? (Price is the same).
Also, how does seat selection work if booking with AC? (the booking page says you have to contact LH to select seats. This has been a nightmare in the past, but I haven't had to do it in quite a few years).
Old Feb 29, 2020, 5:32 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Do you need AQD? If so, book with AC since you'll get AQD.

If not, book with LH so you don't have to deal with the nightmare of codeshares.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 5:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Do you need AQD? If so, book with AC since you'll get AQD.

If not, book with LH so you don't have to deal with the nightmare of codeshares.
Darn, I had forgotten about AQD. What about AQM? Will they be the same?
Old Feb 29, 2020, 5:44 pm
Original Poster

Answered my own question. It's a P fare on LH, so only 100% AQM, while 150% on AC. That plus AQD may seal it. Now I need to figure out how to book the same flights on AC. Some display, others don't, really don't want to call...
Old Feb 29, 2020, 7:21 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Mauricio23
Answered my own question. It's a P fare on LH, so only 100% AQM, while 150% on AC. That plus AQD may seal it. Now I need to figure out how to book the same flights on AC. Some display, others don't, really don't want to call...
AQM is determined by the operating carrier, so you're almost certainly going to get 100% AQM regardless of where you book it. The only exception being if the P fare you buy on the codeshare maps to Z or higher on LH, but on TATLs the mapping is pretty consistent, so I'd say >99% chance you're getting 100%.
canadiancow and Mauricio23 like this.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 10:19 pm
Original Poster

I bought a P fare on AC. Pretty sure it will map to P on LH (they were exactly the same price). The Fare Rules section of the AC ticket state pretty clearly "150% Aeroplan Miles". We shall see.

Edit - buggers: "For all flights operated by Air Canada and Air Canada Rouge". So it will be 100%. Oh well, at least I get the AQD (or can always cancel within 24 hours).
Old Feb 29, 2020, 10:24 pm

I bought a P fare on AC. Pretty sure it will map to P on LH (they were exactly the same price). The Fare Rules section of the AC ticket state pretty clearly "150% Aeroplan Miles". We shall see.

Edit - buggers: "For all flights operated by Air Canada and Air Canada Rouge". So it will be 100%. Oh well, at least I get the AQD (or can always cancel within 24 hours).
Did you really think I'd steer you wrong?

It will be 100%. Which is the same as you'd get booking with LH. And the few thousand bucks of AQD may well be helpful. So I'm not sure there's much incentive to cancel and re-book with LH.
canadiancow and Mauricio23 like this.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 10:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I'd be more tempted to cancel and rebook on AC metal

50% more AQM and SS access...
Adam Smith, YYCNoob and yyztozag like this.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow

Now someone is making sense!
Old Mar 1, 2020, 3:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AQM will be the same no matter where you book. Difference is only AQDs.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 6:11 am

For seat selection, if you book LH on the AC website then you won't be able to select a seat, but you can manage your booking on the LH website and select your seat there, so no real difference.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 6:25 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by StuMcIlwain
For seat selection, if you book LH on the AC website then you won't be able to select a seat, but you can manage your booking on the LH website and select your seat there, so no real difference.
That does not always work if you end up booking on a codeshare.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by canadiancow

And deflategate lottery. No thanks. The one reason I book J is because I want to sleep. I don't know how you guys do it, but I'm not putting up with that crap. (and no, I'm not buying an inflatable mattress while on a $5K+ fare).
Adam Smith and Bohemian1 like this.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

Seat selection on the LH website worked without a hitch... using the AC PNR! I guess that's one silverlining in the Amadeus switch bondoggle.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 2:18 pm

Seat selection on the LH website worked without a hitch... using the AC PNR! I guess that's one silverlining in the Amadeus switch bondoggle.
That has been my experience since the switch, but I've only done it twice so I might have been lucky.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.