Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

COVID-Related Flight Pass Extensions

COVID-Related Flight Pass Extensions

Old Oct 17, 2022, 1:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
My only issue is that some people have had no issue getting it extended to March/April 2023, but they seem to be telling most people that December 31 is the limit.
Bohemian1 and YYC3722 like this.
Old Oct 17, 2022, 1:58 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by canadiancow
My only issue is that some people have had no issue getting it extended to March/April 2023, but they seem to be telling most people that December 31 is the limit.
It's possible they're doing this case-by-case on some metric of customer value, whether purely by status or by (also) looking at some other metrics, e.g. SQD, years of status, FP purchase history, etc. I think there's also a better case to be made for extending certain passes over others, e.g. passes to Asia or the Caribbean where AC curtailed or eliminated service for lengthy periods of time. For instance, I have an EW Connector pass I bought last year that still has its original expiry date in 2022. I've had plenty of opportunities to use that pass this year, and don't really feel like they owe me an extension. But the Sun pass I purchased for Caribbean travel in November 2020, they've two years in a row nuked the flights I planned to take during the peak travel season for that part of the continent (far fewer flights, with some destinations not served at all, the rest of the year), and I definitely felt it was incumbent on them to extend it.
ywgckp and canadiancow like this.
Old Oct 18, 2022, 4:06 am

Programs: Air Canada Elite, Continental Gold, IC Royal Ambassador, SPG Gold
These are all Latitude flight passes. I've been an SE for longer than I can remember. MM. etc. I also have been buying latitude flight passes for ~6 years. If there is a high spender category I'm not in the top top tier, but I am surely well above average in $/mile.

My passes were North America.

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
It's possible they're doing this case-by-case on some metric of customer value, whether purely by status or by (also) looking at some other metrics, e.g. SQD, years of status, FP purchase history, etc. I think there's also a better case to be made for extending certain passes over others, e.g. passes to Asia or the Caribbean where AC curtailed or eliminated service for lengthy periods of time. For instance, I have an EW Connector pass I bought last year that still has its original expiry date in 2022. I've had plenty of opportunities to use that pass this year, and don't really feel like they owe me an extension. But the Sun pass I purchased for Caribbean travel in November 2020, they've two years in a row nuked the flights I planned to take during the peak travel season for that part of the continent (far fewer flights, with some destinations not served at all, the rest of the year), and I definitely felt it was incumbent on them to extend it.
Old Oct 18, 2022, 5:22 am

Originally Posted by eastcoastcan
These are all Latitude flight passes. I've been an SE for longer than I can remember. MM. etc. I also have been buying latitude flight passes for ~6 years. If there is a high spender category I'm not in the top top tier, but I am surely well above average in $/mile.

My passes were North America.
I've bought two Europe J class passes for myself and MrsITAG this year. They didn't extend my NA Latittude. So certainly not based on spend!
Old Dec 7, 2022, 8:34 am

has anyone managed to extend the flight passes recently?
Old Jan 4, 2023, 12:12 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 75K, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by King Chung Huang
I'm going to be in the same boat. I missed a trip to HKG in February when AC cancelled service altogether, and I'm going to end the year with 2 credits left on my Asia West Canada Flex flight pass. I was really hoping they'd do a complimentary extension to next March!
I paid to extend my Asia West Canada flight pass last week. But, I just got a call from AC customer service about my inquiry a while ago for another complimentary extension. The agent said they're only doing that on a case-by-case basis for some sun destination passes as Adam mentioned. But, he offered to refund the unused credits on this pass due to the difficulties using it for Hong Kong. I declined as I'm planning to use the last two credits for Chinese New Year.
Old Jan 4, 2023, 12:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by King Chung Huang
I paid to extend my Asia West Canada flight pass last week. But, I just got a call from AC customer service about my inquiry a while ago for another complimentary extension. The agent said they're only doing that on a case-by-case basis for some sun destination passes as Adam mentioned. But, he offered to refund the unused credits on this pass due to the difficulties using it for Hong Kong. I declined as I'm planning to use the last two credits for Chinese New Year.
I know two people who each requested an extension on a Southwestern (Sun Destination) Latitude pass. One got it, the other did not.

The one who got it has gifted 50K status. The one who did not is SE.
Old Feb 28, 2023, 3:58 pm

On Wednesday May 15, 2019, I spent $34,171.20 to buy a Latitude North American flight pass for myself and MrsITAG - 30 credits, or 15 round trip tickets.

My business would have had us easily using this up by the expiry.

But when Covid hit in March 2020, I quickly came to realize that I'd end up writing the pass off. I had 16 credits left in the pass, almost half the value. I wrote off more than $17k in my mind.

Then, AC kept extending them ... business slowly came back ... and I started using them.

Tomorrow, MrsITAG and I will use the last two credits on a flight to Florida. The other 4 are committed to a YYZ-LAX return just at the end of the March 31 cutoff - I did a 3 month extension.

I don't often say thank you to Air Canada, but I'm certainly thankful in this case - and actually sort of shocked that I managed to use them all.

Last edited by InTheAirGuy; Feb 28, 2023 at 4:47 pm Reason: error
Old Mar 2, 2023, 10:08 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
In the same boat as ITAG. Will use up last of three different pre covid flight passes PHX-YYC next week. All worked out ok even with bad schedules. Not buying FPs for a while now though.
Nitehawk likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2023, 6:45 pm

Programs: AC SEMM
Has anyone been successful in receiving extensions to their Mar 31st expiries ?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.