Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Altitude status extended until end 2021 due to COVID-19 & adds incentives

Old Mar 17, 2020, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 24left
Air Canada Announces the Extension of Altitude Status for all Members - April 6 2020

https://aircanada.mediaroom.com/2020...or-all-Members
https://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/air-canada-announces-the-extension-of-altitude-status-for-all-members-802890008.html
https://www.aeroplan.com/covid-19.do#/
https://altitude.aircanada.com/status/faq-help

For those coming here for the tl;dr redux version of what AC is doing, here is the latest and greatest.

On March 17, 2020, we received bonus eUgrade credits that are noted to expire on May 31, 2021:

S100K received 25 credits, E75K received 20 credits, E50K received 15 credits, etc.

And here is a recent update from jasdou regarding a statement from AC Altitude:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32197689-post152.html

Originally Posted by jasdou
I also just noticed this seemingly new entry in the FAQ on the Altitude website:

Print Wikipost

Air Canada Altitude status extended until end 2021 due to COVID-19 & adds incentives

Old Apr 5, 2020, 8:24 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by capedreamer
Big news:

https://twitter.com/AirlineFlyer/sta...89904044118017

Hopefully this sets a precedent for others to follow.
Indeed. I saw the announcement earlier on the DL News Hub site. Some interesting wording here plus details. I am including the link because I'd like to have it as comparison when AC decides to do something and how they communicate it. https://news.delta.com/delta-extends...-future-travel

Other airlines had already decided to do this a month ago, with different extensions. But we are now in April. Q1 flying was affected for some. Q2 flying will be affected for everyone and no one knows what capacity or routes with AC will even be operating in Q3. There are many who are saying 2020 is done and recovery will start in 2021, others say 2022.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 8:36 am

Programs: AC SE100, SPG Plat, Visa Inf Priv
Let’s hope that AC steps up and follows DL’s lead.

Current AC status until 2/28/22.

AQM / AQS / AQD accrual combined 2020 and 2021 for 2022 status.
winch likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 2:17 pm

Programs: AC E75K
United following Delta's move:

Diabeetus likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 3:29 pm

Programs: SE 100K
What are people's thoughts - the more airlines that do this, the more pressure there will be on AC? Or nah because they're not AC's direct competitors in the Canadian market
Transpacificflyer likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 4:10 pm

Programs: AC 75K (*G), NEXUS
Originally Posted by CanadianMike
What are people's thoughts - the more airlines that do this, the more pressure there will be on AC? Or nah because they're not AC's direct competitors in the Canadian market
When the big US airlines relaxed their change/cancellation policy at the beginning of March, AC seemed to follow suit pretty quickly so I don't think it'd be unrealistic to see a similar reaction in the near future (hopefully).
Old Apr 5, 2020, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by YWG-RO
Let’s hope that AC steps up and follows DL’s lead.

Current AC status until 2/28/22.

AQM / AQS / AQD accrual combined 2020 and 2021 for 2022 status.
I dont think Delta is counting 2020 MQD for anything (just MQM) - and from the looks of it neither is United in terms of PQP earned in 2020?
Old Apr 6, 2020, 8:35 am

Programs: AC*SEMM
Extension of 2020 status to 2021 (without penalty)

Will Air Canada follow suit? Delta just announced it the wording is : "The airline says whatever Delta Medallion status travelers earned for 2020 — including those gifted — will be automatically extended for the 2021 Medallion year, which ends January 31, 2022."

https://thepointsguy.com/news/delta-...-elite-status/

It would be the logical thing to do for Air Canada as well.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 9:17 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
I thought these words say it clearly. I am sure someone at AC realizes this.

QUOTE:
  • Customers can’t travel now
  • They can’t redeem their points for travel
  • They can’t earn with travel partners
  • Many have lost their jobs
Loyalty programs will need their program members again soon. These are the people who can be incentivized to fill seats and rooms. They’re the ones who will either be chased away by a program which treats them poorly during this challenging time, or lured away by a program who treats them well."

Source: https://viewfromthewing.com/two-prog...avirus-crisis/
bluenose77 and m.y like this.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 9:19 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by 24left
I thought these words say it clearly:

QUOTE:
  • Customers can’t travel now
  • They can’t redeem their points for travel
  • They can’t earn with travel partners
  • Many have lost their jobs
Loyalty programs will need their program members again soon. These are the people who can be incentivized to fill seats and rooms. They’re the ones who will either be chased away by a program which treats them poorly during this challenging time, or lured away by a program who treats them well."

Source: https://viewfromthewing.com/two-prog...avirus-crisis/
I received an e mail from Accor with the theme that Loyalty is a 2 way street..which obviously it is. They credited me with some points and 1/2 the hotel stays I would normally need to reach the same level of status I did last year. Thought it was a reasonable gesture.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 10:27 am

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Although I expect the airline to do the same, I don't believe that there is any pressure on Air Canada to make an announcement at this time since the air travel market is dead and the airline is not at risk of losing its FFs. With the travel restrictions expected to continue into the summer peak travel season, I fear the prediction of very reduced travel activity until Q1 2021 (at the earliest) is valid.

I have a supply of toiletry bags, slippers, pajamas, and kimonos from various airlines to imagine I am in the air and have status.
24left likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 10:55 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by YUL_Around_The_World
Will Air Canada follow suit? Delta just announced it the wording is : "The airline says whatever Delta Medallion status travelers earned for 2020 — including those gifted — will be automatically extended for the 2021 Medallion year, which ends January 31, 2022."

https://thepointsguy.com/news/delta-...-elite-status/

It would be the logical thing to do for Air Canada as well.
Why? Who knows how long this will last. If it has a dramatic impact on flying for only, say, 3-4 months, is a full year's extension of status really needed? They could reduce the thresholds, offer a bunch of bonus promos for flying once travel has (somewhat) normalized, credit everyone a certain amount of AQx, etc.

They may well do a one-year extension, but there are a number of perfectly logical solutions; no one thing is the solution.
mileageking likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 11:26 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE100K, Accor Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium Elite, BW Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by mapleg
I received an e mail from Accor with the theme that Loyalty is a 2 way street..which obviously it is. They credited me with some points and 1/2 the hotel stays I would normally need to reach the same level of status I did last year. Thought it was a reasonable gesture.
AC could do the same.
e.g. If restrictions are 3 months you reduce all thresholds by 25%
Old Apr 6, 2020, 11:45 am

I can only speak for myself, but I sure hope that if they do anything they'll reduce thresholds instead of granting 1-year extensions (unless they do both).

Last year I was essentially grounded and started the year without status. So far in 2020 I'm almost near E35 and was on track for SE, so I'm currently at P25. I commute for work and about 1/2 of my travel is on my own dime. I'm hesitant to make any bookings at the moment because of AC's current policy of not refunding money when they cancel a flight, and I keep getting change notices on my future flights that I do have booked.

If AC comes out and announces that they're only going to grant status extensions, I'll have to reconsider my flying patterns. I might shift a significant portion of my travel to WS (might be better to have mid-tier status on 2 different airlines than top on 1). Heck, if Flair survives I might even consider flying with them. At the start of they year they had their unlimited flight pass - IIRC $700 for 3 months, includes 1 free bag and some other items (IIRC you had to pay the surcharges/taxes/fees for each booking though), but if I decide to book solely on price they could become an option too.

I do hope that whatever they decide, that they'll announce sooner rather than later, so that I can make a more informed decision when my travel starts again...

IMHO, AC should be looking at status from not only the perspective of having people retain their status, but from having people gain status. Last year was an anomaly for me, but prior to that I'd been either SE or E75 for many years. I'm not going to pretend that I'm one of AC's high revenue fliers, but I'm also hardly a bottom feeder. For the past 15 years I'd typically book AC flights by default and hardly ever shop around. How AC handles this going forward will either ensure that I continue the same behaviour, or shift my purchasing patterns to fly others more frequently.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 12:02 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by YEG USER
IMHO, AC should be looking at status from not only the perspective of having people retain their status, but from having people gain status. Last year was an anomaly for me, but prior to that I'd been either SE or E75 for many years. I'm not going to pretend that I'm one of AC's high revenue fliers, but I'm also hardly a bottom feeder. For the past 15 years I'd typically book AC flights by default and hardly ever shop around. How AC handles this going forward will either ensure that I continue the same behaviour, or shift my purchasing patterns to fly others more frequently.
Which is why they might want to reduce the thresholds or do bonuses once things get better. It's also possible they could do some combination, e.g. lower the thresholds, but also guarantee no one will drop more than 1 status, for instance. So if you were E35K last year but hoping to be SE this year, maybe you could still get there, rather than be stuck with another year of E35K.

I think that will depend on their data on how many people shift categories in a given year. If there's a really high rate of people retaining a status once they have it, a simple extension might make the most sense, even if it disadvantages some people like you (or gives an advantage to people who were going to drop categories). But if people bounce around the tiers a lot, something to do with reduced thresholds or bonuses might make more sense. Of course, only AC has the data that would be necessary to figure that out
Old Apr 6, 2020, 12:13 pm

Programs: AC 50K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
I would expect bonus promotions. I recall after the strike in the late 90’s they offered triple qualifying miles. I went to Europe in J and earned 36,000 miles. That was the first year I hit SE.
mileageking and Adam Smith like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.