Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Altitude status extended until end 2021 due to COVID-19 & adds incentives

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 17, 2020, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 24left
Air Canada Announces the Extension of Altitude Status for all Members - April 6 2020

https://aircanada.mediaroom.com/2020...or-all-Members
https://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/air-canada-announces-the-extension-of-altitude-status-for-all-members-802890008.html
https://www.aeroplan.com/covid-19.do#/
https://altitude.aircanada.com/status/faq-help

For those coming here for the tl;dr redux version of what AC is doing, here is the latest and greatest.

On March 17, 2020, we received bonus eUgrade credits that are noted to expire on May 31, 2021:

S100K received 25 credits, E75K received 20 credits, E50K received 15 credits, etc.

And here is a recent update from jasdou regarding a statement from AC Altitude:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32197689-post152.html

Originally Posted by jasdou
I also just noticed this seemingly new entry in the FAQ on the Altitude website:

Print Wikipost

Air Canada Altitude status extended until end 2021 due to COVID-19 & adds incentives

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2021, 10:03 am

Programs: AC SE
Gifting Status

Popped up in my App view today.

unclepants and YYZHRE like this.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Feb 9, 2021 at 10:16 am Reason: Removed inappropriate content
Old Feb 9, 2021, 10:28 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Hypastyla
Popped up in my App view today.
Interesting. I earned 50K to gift from my 2020 activities, but there's nothing like that showing in my app.
Old Feb 9, 2021, 10:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Mine's showing 75K.

Well, sort of.

Bohemian1 and Adam Smith like this.
Old Feb 9, 2021, 11:12 am

Programs: AC SE
not showing for me, but i flew enough to earn 50k for someone
Old Feb 9, 2021, 11:36 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium
I have the option for E75K for a friend.

Does this mean I can select:

1 x E50K for a friend as part of my SE select benefits; and
1 x E75K for another friend as part of this promotion?

I'm wary of selecting my SE benefits yet as the eUps may be useful late this year (unlikely); otherwise, I was going to give E50K away for the heck of it.
Old Feb 9, 2021, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by YVRtoYYZ
I have the option for E75K for a friend.

Does this mean I can select:

1 x E50K for a friend as part of my SE select benefits; and
1 x E75K for another friend as part of this promotion?

I'm wary of selecting my SE benefits yet as the eUps may be useful late this year (unlikely); otherwise, I was going to give E50K away for the heck of it.
Yes. I'm in exactly the same position. I don't know if eUps or wifi will be useful yet, but the longer I wait, the less useful 50K is.

But I'll need to find someone for 75K.
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2021, 5:33 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, IHG Diamond, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Interesting. I earned 50K to gift from my 2020 activities, but there's nothing like that showing in my app.
I found mine on the webpage under available benefits. Just had to scroll over.
Old Feb 9, 2021, 5:36 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Yes. I'm in exactly the same position. I don't know if eUps or wifi will be useful yet, but the longer I wait, the less useful 50K is.

But I'll need to find someone for 75K.
Normally wouldn't be too tough, but for most this year would be about as useful as a flight pass to North Korea.
Old Feb 9, 2021, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by yvr76
Normally wouldn't be too tough, but for most this year would be about as useful as a flight pass to North Korea.
The bigger issue is that everyone is 25K, and a bunch of people were gifted 50K last year. I'm not sure I want to give 75K to someone who wouldn't even earn 25K, and I'm not sure I want to give it to someone who was already bumped up from 0/25/35 to 50. I'd rather find an actual flying 25 or 35.
Old Feb 9, 2021, 7:16 pm

Programs: Back of the bus
Originally Posted by canadiancow
The bigger issue is that everyone is 25K, and a bunch of people were gifted 50K last year. I'm not sure I want to give 75K to someone who wouldn't even earn 25K, and I'm not sure I want to give it to someone who was already bumped up from 0/25/35 to 50. I'd rather find an actual flying 25 or 35.
Why not?

I know many people (myself included) who would definitely fly more this year, even just domestic with the extra perks.

Lots of short hops and options to still do travel reasonably safely and enjoy canada without leaving the country.
Old Feb 9, 2021, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by jazzsax
Why not?

I know many people (myself included) who would definitely fly more this year, even just domestic with the extra perks.

Lots of short hops and options to still do travel reasonably safely and enjoy canada without leaving the country.
Why not what? Why do I not want to give it to someone who wouldn't even earn 25K? Because they'll get no value out of it. Why do I not want to give it to a 50K? Because there isn't much marginal value.

I want someone who earned 35K with ~45k AQM in 2019, and expects to do the same when flying picks up again.
marke190 likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2021, 12:49 pm

75k gift

Gave 75k to a colleague today. Showed up almost right away with new status in their app. What is this promotion for?
Old Feb 10, 2021, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by Scotian
Gave 75k to a colleague today. Showed up almost right away with new status in their app. What is this promotion for?
You qualified for 75K last year, but because your status was extended, you get to give it to someone else.
Old Feb 10, 2021, 1:26 pm

Programs: AC SE, Marriott Platinum
I have 35k to gift and really can't think of who I'm going to gift it to - family will travel with me so that doesn't make sense. For work, we are grounded until at least September but more realistically the entire year. I assume there's no deadline on gifting the status? I'll hold off until the outlook becomes more clear.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2021, 6:03 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
I wonder if AC put in any failsafe to prevent downgrades.

Would.be comical if the system allows the gifting of 50k or 75k to a Super Elite.
​​​​​

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.