Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Altitude status extended until end 2021 due to COVID-19 & adds incentives

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 17, 2020, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 24left
Air Canada Announces the Extension of Altitude Status for all Members - April 6 2020

https://aircanada.mediaroom.com/2020...or-all-Members
https://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/air-canada-announces-the-extension-of-altitude-status-for-all-members-802890008.html
https://www.aeroplan.com/covid-19.do#/
https://altitude.aircanada.com/status/faq-help

For those coming here for the tl;dr redux version of what AC is doing, here is the latest and greatest.

On March 17, 2020, we received bonus eUgrade credits that are noted to expire on May 31, 2021:

S100K received 25 credits, E75K received 20 credits, E50K received 15 credits, etc.

And here is a recent update from jasdou regarding a statement from AC Altitude:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32197689-post152.html

Originally Posted by jasdou
I also just noticed this seemingly new entry in the FAQ on the Altitude website:

Print Wikipost

Air Canada Altitude status extended until end 2021 due to COVID-19 & adds incentives

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2020, 7:59 am

Programs: AC SE100K 1MM, FB Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
I want to confirm that one's status (in my case, Super Elite) that one has for the calendar year 2020 is extended into the calendar year 2021 automatically, because of the covid 19 pandemic decreasing most peoples' flying for this year.

I ask, because the dashboard (or whatever it is called now) showing my status in terms of SQM, SQS, SQM - still shows I need to earn some of these before I can attain SE status for next year. If everyone's Aeroplan status (unless one has increased one's status this year) has been migrated to 2021- why have this dashboard display stating that one still needs to earn the requisite number of points/miles/dollars before that status can be achieved for next year?
Your status will carry over until the end of 2021. AC has allowed members to gift any status earned in 2020 to someone else hence why they are still tracking earnings for 2020. Additionally, it is unclear if they will allow rollover of 2020 miles earned if you have a premium credit card with any of AMEX/CIBC/TD (there is supposed to be an ability to rollover up to 50K miles).
Old Nov 23, 2020, 8:53 am

Programs: AC MM E50, AF Flying Blue
Extension of SE privileges into 2021

Hi all,

Like many here, I haven't flown for almost a year... Feels strange after so may years of intense flying. One consequence is that I haven't followed all the changes that have occured in the new program.

So here's a few questions. Mods, please feel free to move to appropriate thread.

AC has extended our Altitude staus to the end of 2021. I am sure this has been discussed somewhere in this forum, but I can't find it. Do we know how this is going to work? Are we going to get to choose our perks as usual? What about the new Priority Rewards? I have 4 right now but will not use them this year... Will we get fresh ones in the new year? they seem to be precious!

Again, sorry if this has been discussed somewhere... It surely has been!

Thanks,

R&F
Old Nov 23, 2020, 12:10 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by run&fly
Are we going to get to choose our perks as usual?

...Priority Rewards? I have 4 right now but will not use them this year... Will we get fresh ones in the new year? they seem to be precious!
Yes to re-selecting benefits in 2021.

The priority rewards deposited in Nov are in exchange for unredeemed 2020 status year awards "erroring on the side of generosity".

More will post in 1Q 2021 based on AQD spend and benefit selection and be good at least slightly longer (12/31?) than the current batch expiring Oct31.

​​
Old Nov 23, 2020, 12:40 pm

Programs: AC MM E50, AF Flying Blue
Originally Posted by expert7700
Yes to re-selecting benefits in 2021.

The priority rewards deposited in Nov are in exchange for unredeemed 2020 status year awards "erroring on the side of generosity".

More will post in 1Q 2021 based on AQD spend and benefit selection and be good at least slightly longer (12/31?) than the current batch expiring Oct31.

​​
Great, thanks for taking the time to provide a clear and complete response. Much appreciated!

R&F
Old Nov 23, 2020, 2:25 pm

Programs: AC SE 100K
Sorry - Slow to reply (post from Nov 2). . Why would I pay more for a "B" fare v. Cheapest J?

B fare is very flexible on routings, free changes, unlimited free stops, can do a hidden city (gives you another free vacation to somewhere interesting), can upgrade on LX segments using AE points, can get free stops in Canada (YYC/YVR) - YVR/YYC same price but can stop in both cities both ways - same price etc . etc. . . Can change destination after departure (we did this in Spring - i.e. swap CTA/PMO for FLR/VCE - no problem). I am an expert on how the fare builds up and all the valid routings within Europe and Canada as I have booked this B fare from Canada to Europe at least 30 times now. I do book discounted J - sometimes - but it is so restrictive that it has been better to have the flexibility.

The cheapest J? $600 change fee (and I have paid it sometimes), no free stops - ok when your itinerary is also simple.

Ultimately - if we did not have E-Ups - I would likely fly at least 50-75% less and then just Pay J for a simple itinerary . .

That being said - back to the original question - - For non-Canada based travelers - it will be interesting to see what promotions for 2022 qulifiication may be available (even to Canadian ones) as our ability to travel (from Switzerland) is basically cut off 100% while in Canada - you're at least able to do domestic.

I could see Jan 2020-Dec 2021 qualifying period as being a reasonable compromise. We had a good 3 months in 2020 - and may have a decent 9 months in 2021 - so the two together could be good? Otherwise - We will see what AC proposes!!

One thing for sure - the loss of IKK on Aeroplan rewards makes me very less likely to strive for SE - - - - as that for me was probably the best part of the entire program. That ability to basically get a seat at the last minute for the low redemption amount on any flight - that was pretty good (even if I only did it around 6 times) . With that gone . . I'm not so bothered actually about getting SE.
Old Nov 23, 2020, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by expert7700

​​
You can find the details here (https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...y-rewards.html), including how many you will get at the start of the year, as well as how you will earn them throughout the year.

Dr. PITUK
expert7700 and YOWgary like this.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 12:29 pm

Programs: AE SE 100
2021 Status and perks choice

Hi,
Does anyone know if we will receive an email from AC to chose our perks for 2021? My status will be preserved (I have flown very little in '20), but I was wondering if we will have new e-upgrades, new luggage tags, etc, or if we will run with our 2020 perks. Tks!
Old Dec 1, 2020, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by YUL23
Hi,
Does anyone know if we will receive an email from AC to chose our perks for 2021? My status will be preserved (I have flown very little in '20), but I was wondering if we will have new e-upgrades, new luggage tags, etc, or if we will run with our 2020 perks. Tks!
Should come in January.

Dr. PITUK
Old Dec 1, 2020, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by painintheuk
You can find the details here (https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...y-rewards.html), including how many you will get at the start of the year, as well as how you will earn them throughout the year.

Dr. PITUK
$900 and a bit short of 4K SQD to get an SE priority award. Worth doing a YYZ-YYC/YVR to earn it?

And would a GOT Canada pass earn enough SQD? I think close, but not sure.

THanks
Old Dec 1, 2020, 5:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
For an SE to get an extra priority reward this year, you'd need over 10k SQD.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
For an SE to get an extra priority reward this year, you'd need over 10k SQD.
Thanks. I haven't followed the priority awards element much. I just saw the attached in my rather pitiful account, which says at 4K I get another reward.
Attached Images  
Old Dec 1, 2020, 6:34 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by MaxFlying
Thanks. I haven't followed the priority awards element much. I just saw the attached in my rather pitiful account, which says at 4K I get another reward.
Specifically for 75Ks they're the single best benefit in the whole program when used to eUp Latitude fares.

I'm planning YOW-DXB, YOW-TYO and YOW-SYD, all in 2021, all in business, for a grand total of about 170,000 AP and 78 eUps combined.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 12:44 am

Programs: SE 100K
Originally Posted by YOWgary
Specifically for 75Ks they're the single best benefit in the whole program when used to eUp Latitude fares.

I'm planning YOW-DXB, YOW-TYO and YOW-SYD, all in 2021, all in business, for a grand total of about 170,000 AP and 78 eUps combined.
To clarify: each itinerary booked w/ AP points in Latitude as a priority reservation, then E-up?
Old Dec 9, 2020, 10:33 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE100K, Accor Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium Elite, BW Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
I don't recall selecting this privilege
but seems I have a 50k to give. It says December 31, 2020 is that the day to give it or the day it expires for the recipient (not really a nice gift ahahaha)

Last edited by Adam Smith; Jun 23, 2021 at 12:24 am
Old Dec 10, 2020, 7:07 am
ABW

Programs: AC SE 3MM, Bonvoy LTE, Accor Diamond, Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by theBeachBoy
I don't recall selecting this privilege
but seems I have a 50k to give. It says December 31, 2020 is that the day to give it or the day it expires for the recipient (not really a nice gift ahahaha)
I am showing the same, except mine does not show an expiry date.

I spoke with both Aeroplan and Air Canada and no one has an answer.

I have already given E50K for life to my son at 2MM, they confirmed his status is showing as correct in their system.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Jun 22, 2021 at 7:36 pm Reason: Remove large quoted image

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.