Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Altitude status extended until end 2021 due to COVID-19 & adds incentives

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 17, 2020, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 24left
Air Canada Announces the Extension of Altitude Status for all Members - April 6 2020

https://aircanada.mediaroom.com/2020...or-all-Members
https://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/air-canada-announces-the-extension-of-altitude-status-for-all-members-802890008.html
https://www.aeroplan.com/covid-19.do#/
https://altitude.aircanada.com/status/faq-help

For those coming here for the tl;dr redux version of what AC is doing, here is the latest and greatest.

On March 17, 2020, we received bonus eUgrade credits that are noted to expire on May 31, 2021:

S100K received 25 credits, E75K received 20 credits, E50K received 15 credits, etc.

And here is a recent update from jasdou regarding a statement from AC Altitude:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32197689-post152.html

Originally Posted by jasdou
I also just noticed this seemingly new entry in the FAQ on the Altitude website:

Print Wikipost

Air Canada Altitude status extended until end 2021 due to COVID-19 & adds incentives

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2020, 3:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Banks and telcos are announcing how they're going to extend status in their loyalty programs? Status that expires in 11.5 months?

AC has announced operational details for current issues. Status that expires at the end of February is not a current issue.

Last edited by canadiancow; Mar 18, 2020 at 3:42 pm Reason: fo
Old Mar 18, 2020, 3:39 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by james dean
It would probably be a good idea to make the announcement sooner than later too, keep the good faith intact. Major institutions are doing so already Banks, Telco's, and of course our Gov't is printing $$ like mad...so AC if your listening??
During this crisis, when I presume you are flying not at all or much less, your lack of faith in AC will change your non-or-low-flying purchase decisions how?
Old Mar 18, 2020, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by james dean
It would probably be a good idea to make the announcement sooner than later too, keep the good faith intact. Major institutions are doing so already Banks, Telco's, and of course our Gov't is printing $$ like mad...so AC if your listening??
Any examples on bank and telco loyalty program extensions 11.5 months out (your AC SE status ends Feb 2021)? Govt $82B relief is completely different to loyalty program extensions. Need to have patience my friend and give AC time to evaluate things which are changing daily.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
AC has announced operational details for current issues. Status that expires at the end of February is not a current issue.
I agree that this is a relatively unimportant thing for them right now. An operational wind down takes them into unprecedented territory.

Having said that, when they eventually do get around to it, I have full confidence that they will totally screw it up.
Stranger, skybluesea and Symmetre like this.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 6:16 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
Hard to earn status when international and transborder flights stopped and domestic reduced. "Air Canada is gradually suspending the majority of its international and US transborder flights by March 31." Something will be done.

https://www.travelpress.com/air-cana.../#.XnK5Iy0ZNAZ
Old Mar 18, 2020, 6:21 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by flyquiet
Hard to earn status when international and transborder flights stopped and domestic reduced. "Air Canada is gradually suspending the majority of its international and US transborder flights by March 31." Something will be done.
I think we've all been in violent agreement on that for quite some time
Symmetre likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 6:25 pm

Programs: Air Canada SE100K, Westjet Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, NEXUS
Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
I agree that this is a relatively unimportant thing for them right now. An operational wind down takes them into unprecedented territory.

Having said that, when they eventually do get around to it, I have full confidence that they will totally screw it up.
Negative, negative, negative. I am sure AC will do something to help customers maintain status. This is still early on and they (like every other business) will determine what they will do when they start relaunching flights again. This is not on their radar right now.

If you are not happy with what they eventually offer, move your business to Westjet.

If you have so little confidence in a company, why do you use their service or buy their product?
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 7:38 pm

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan
Originally Posted by mileageking
Any examples on bank and telco loyalty program extensions 11.5 months out (your AC SE status ends Feb 2021)? Govt $82B relief is completely different to loyalty program extensions. Need to have patience my friend and give AC time to evaluate things which are changing daily.
Patience is one thing I do have ATM, actually nice to be homebound rather than sitting in a metal tube. I guess my point was not directed at loyalty plans per se but how large institutions are already looking forward...
Old Mar 18, 2020, 7:50 pm

I know all are anxious and am sure AC is probably working in background to analyze the full scope of anything they propose. Pandemic situation is very fluid and no one knows for sure if things will improve in 30/60/90 days or take even longer. As cow mentioned current status is good for approx. 11.5 months. They are also working on new loyalty program to launch in summer 2020 (could get pushed out), hence IMHO we need to give them time.
james dean likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 2:45 pm

Programs: SE100k, AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by AC7E7
If you are not happy with what they eventually offer, move your business to Westjet.
Whoa, things aren't that bad, yet!
Stranger and AC7E7 like this.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 4:45 pm

Programs: AC SE(w/*); NEXUS
Kinda related... but, not... Has anyone gotten a "Flight Pass or Promotion" eUp deposit to their account? I've been cancelling left, right and centre but just noticed an addition to my eUps on March 17, 2020. St Patty's Day Party substitute (not that I am allowed to attend, now or in six months...)?
Old Mar 19, 2020, 5:18 pm

Yeap, +25 credits posted on Mar 17 as Flight Pass or Promotion that expire May 31 2021.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 5:29 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by YSJ8ed
Kinda related... but, not... Has anyone gotten a "Flight Pass or Promotion" eUp deposit to their account? I've been cancelling left, right and centre but just noticed an addition to my eUps on March 17, 2020. St Patty's Day Party substitute (not that I am allowed to attend, now or in six months...)?
Originally Posted by mileageking
Yeap, +25 credits posted on Mar 17 as Flight Pass or Promotion that expire May 31 2021.
See this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-...ronavirus.html
Old Mar 19, 2020, 5:52 pm

deleted. posted in WIKI post

Last edited by mileageking; Mar 19, 2020 at 6:13 pm
Old Mar 20, 2020, 12:40 am

Aeroplan email from AC/Mark Nasr late Thu 19th evening:

In times like these, loyalty is more important than ever and we know it goes both ways. Like all of you, we've been monitoring the evolving global impact of COVID-19. We wanted to provide you with more details on adjustments we're making to the Aeroplan Program in light of these unprecedented circumstances.Cancel any Flight Reward free of charge, until March 31
If you'd like to cancel any Flight Reward, the fastest way to do so is at aeroplan.com. Due to high call volumes, we are experiencing long hold times at our contact centres. Until March 31, you can cancel free of charge and receive all of your Aeroplan Miles back in your account, plus a full refund of any associated taxes, fees and surcharges on the unused value of your travel. Simply log-in and visit Manage your bookings.

Temporary pause to expiration of Aeroplan Miles, until May 14
As you know, earning, redeeming or transferring Aeroplan Miles will keep all of your miles active for 12 months from the transaction date. In order to give you one less thing to think about, as a policy matter, we have paused expiry until May 14, 2020. This means that between now and May 14, any Aeroplan Miles which would have expired will not. Effective May 15, our normal expiration policy will once again apply, meaning that miles will expire if an eligible transaction has not been completed prior to this date.

We also have some important information for Air Canada Altitude members, as well as those who are expecting to reach Altitude status in 2020:Additional eUpgrade Credits are now available in your account
In light of reduced travel in 2020, we realize that Altitude members may not be able to enjoy their upgrade privileges. In recognition of that, we are providing all Altitude members with additional eUpgrade Credits, valid until May 31, 2021. You can view these in your eUpgrade account and use them immediately. Learn more.

2021 Altitude status qualification criteria
We realize that for our loyal customers and frequent flyers, your travel plans this year have been disrupted just as our business has been impacted. We're watching the situation very closely and, as travel patterns unfold over the coming months, you can count on us to address this unusual situation. Rest assured that we'll do right by you with policy changes and special offers for Altitude status qualification.

We'll continue to communicate with you directly to provide additional information over the coming weeks. In the meantime, you can always find the latest updates on how Air Canada and Aeroplan are addressing COVID-19 at aircanada.com.

As we navigate this ever-evolving situation, we are currently working around the clock to support our members. We're focused on maintaining the service that earned your loyalty.

Sincerely,
Mark Nasr
Vice President, Loyalty and eCommerce
Air Canada

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.