Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Flight Passes - General Questions and Information

Flight Passes - General Questions and Information

Old Apr 23, 2023, 11:40 am

Programs: AC SE : Bonvoy Ambassador Elite : 47 Park Street Fractional Owner
I am trying to evaluate some of the benefits of FPs.

One is the ability to change flights without fees which is quite valuable.

I am not great with search engines. What happens with SQx / points promotions for flights taken in the promotion window using a flight pass purchased before the promotion announcement?

Secondly, what happens to flights booked but not taken using the flight pass before the promotion announcement date?

The treatment of SQx / points promotions could be quite valuable to me as we tend to spend about 65,000 SQD in our household of two on about 10 trips a year that we take together and plan long in advance.

In most years, this wont get us to SE as we will fall short on SQM even though we will be at around 150% of the SQD requirement.
Old Apr 23, 2023, 12:34 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Gold, DL PM, WS Plat, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Aphrican
I am not great with search engines. What happens with SQx / points promotions for flights taken in the promotion window using a flight pass purchased before the promotion announcement?

Secondly, what happens to flights booked but not taken using the flight pass before the promotion announcement date?
It's the same as any other ticket: it has to be both booked and flown during the promotion period.

SQM promotions are rare anyway, so it's really not worth wasting any time worrying about them.
canadiancow and kalderlake like this.
Old Apr 23, 2023, 3:05 pm

Programs: AC SE, BA silver
Originally Posted by Aphrican
I am trying to evaluate some of the benefits of FPs.

One is the ability to change flights without fees which is quite valuable.

Secondly, what happens to flights “booked” but not taken using the flight pass before the promotion announcement date?

The treatment of SQx / points promotions could be quite valuable to me as we tend to spend about 65,000 SQD in our household of two on about 10 trips a year that we take together and plan long in advance.

In most years, this won’t get us to SE as we will fall short on SQM even though we will be at around 150% of the SQD requirement.
Do you have a premium AC card? The 65K in tickets alone would give you 13K SQMs (and ~200K points), plus rollover SQMs from the previous year. Unless you take very few extremely expensive flights I think you should be able to make SE with that kind of spending.

Of if you are eligible for the US Chase Aeroplan, 50K US spending gives you a status top up.
Old Apr 24, 2023, 5:21 am

Programs: AC SE : Bonvoy Ambassador Elite : 47 Park Street Fractional Owner
Originally Posted by iwillflytheworld
Do you have a premium AC card? The 65K in tickets alone would give you 13K SQMs (and ~200K points), plus rollover SQMs from the previous year. Unless you take very few extremely expensive flights I think you should be able to make SE with that kind of spending.

Of if you are eligible for the US Chase Aeroplan, 50K US spending gives you a status top up.
My wife and I should both barely make SE this year.

Our daughter has been seconded to a job that is a 25,000 SQM round trip per pax away. Our visit to see her is a one off.

We each have our own AmEx Reserve cards with a zero fee supplementary card for the other to let us balance our bonus SQMs across our two AP accounts.

We are based in YYJ.

All of our travel is self funded in J. We always travel together.

All of our 2023 travel is booked and paid for so I am planning our 2024 travel.

It will be something like 2xLHR (FP), 5xYWG (FP) and 3xCUN (ad hoc as the FP requires a separate ticket to get to YVR).

Equalling out our SQMs as best we can and including AmEx SQMs and FP bonus SQMs, we will each end the year with 36,500 SQDs. One of us will have 89,000 SQM while the other will have 86,000 SQM.

Because we will have gone from P0K (peons with no status) to SE during 2023, we will have a 12,500 SQM head start in 2024 but not in other years barring rollovers.

The all in SQM / SQD for our household is 2.07 for LHR, 2.53 for YWG and 2.75 for CUN. An alternate pure SQD route to status makes sense to me. Maybe 12,500 for E25K, 15,000 for E35k, 20,000 for E50k, 25,000 for E75k and 30,000 for SE.

Under the current structure, BA Silver and E35k might be better for us than E75k.

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
It's the same as any other ticket: it has to be both booked and flown during the promotion period.

SQM promotions are rare anyway, so it's really not worth wasting any time worrying about them.
Fair enough. The FOMO is strong with this one.

If I have already booked travel and a new promotion comes along, I can just cancel and rebook my flights subject to space.

I also dont need to book a year out every time which is what I do now.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Apr 24, 2023 at 9:06 am Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same user
Old Jun 20, 2023, 8:29 am

Programs: AC SE
Does anyone have experience or know if it is possible to build an itinerary that is not offered on the flight pass portal?
Ie. 2 flights that have M class available, and that meet the MCT requirements and that are through an allowable connection point for the origin and destination.
Old Jun 20, 2023, 10:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by caziz
Does anyone have experience or know if it is possible to build an itinerary that is not offered on the flight pass portal?
Ie. 2 flights that have M class available, and that meet the MCT requirements and that are through an allowable connection point for the origin and destination.
Can you be more specific? Certain FPs explicitly exclude YYZ as a connection point. It's not in the terms (explicitly), but the terms say something like "you must book through the FP portal" and the portal will never offer YYZ connections on those passes.

The one example I recall with no pushback was when I wanted SFO-YMM.

FP app offered (something like):
1200 - SFO-YYC
1800 - YYC-YEG
0700 - YEG-YMM

Bookable with cash, but not through FP portal (and this was a Y FP):
1700 - SFO-YVR
2100 - YVR-YEG
0700 - YEG-YMM

So literally the same final flight, but I could depart 5 hours later.

I booked the offered one, called in, explained the situation, they put me on hold, and someone got it done.

But that was VERY reasonable. Same number of segments, same arrival time, 5 hour later departure time, and an extra 9% flying distance.

FPs do not follow published fares, and published fares often allow stupid routings that they do not want you doing with FPs (eg SFO-YVR-YUL-YOW-YYZ was something I flew once or twice in my youth).

So if you can be more specific, I can give you my best guess as to whether they might allow it. But it will definitely require escalation (front-line agents lost the ability to manually construct FP bookings years ago), and everyone who looks at your proposal will have to think it's at least as reasonable as the options being offered. If you want to depart an hour earlier, arrive an hour later, and add a connection, that's not "reasonable". That's a mileage/segment run.
kalderlake and caziz like this.
Old Jun 20, 2023, 12:03 pm

Programs: AC SEMM
Question re Flight pass upgrades.

Is the complementary upgrade from Latitude 48 hours or 2 days ?

The outbound was confirmed when requesting at 51 hours but within 2 days. Not able to confirm the return also within 2 days but at 51 hours.
Error received on the APP
"Error occured inRequired header 'AC-Long-Session-ID' not specified (RSIL) -2035"
Old Jun 20, 2023, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by Argonaut1000
Question re Flight pass upgrades.

Is the complementary upgrade from Latitude 48 hours or 2 days ?

The outbound was confirmed when requesting at 51 hours but within 2 days. Not able to confirm the return also within 2 days but at 51 hours.
Error received on the APP
"Error occured inRequired header 'AC-Long-Session-ID' not specified (RSIL) -2035"
The terms say "2 days".

The error you're getting is not what you'd get if you were outside the window. Log out, log back in, try again.
Old Jun 20, 2023, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
The terms say "2 days".

The error you're getting is not what you'd get if you were outside the window. Log out, log back in, try again.
same error on the APP -

On a PC or Mac says "This Flight Pass booking has already been upgraded." - I will assume it is relating to the outboud and I must wait until 48 hours to request the return.
Old Jun 20, 2023, 1:49 pm

It might be an issue with the fact that half of it is upgraded. I'm curious what happens at 48, but this is why I don't book round trips with FPs.
Old Jun 20, 2023, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
It might be an issue with the fact that half of it is upgraded. I'm curious what happens at 48, but this is why I don't book round trips with FPs.
I will wait a couple hours and see. I should have purchased two OW - no reason to book a RT
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2023, 4:31 pm

Must have been a glitch as the agent had to do the upgrade manually. Took them 40 min!

I should have just cancelled and booked the two flights again as there was still J space.

The agent also confirmed it should be 2 days.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2023, 1:52 pm

If my partner and I both purchase single traveller passes, is it possible for us to book such that we're on the same PNR? I'm mostly concerned with the ability to upgrade each other if needed, but I suppose being rebooked together in the event of IRROPS would be useful as well.

Alternatively, I assume that with a small business multi traveller flight pass I can book two people on the same PNR?
Old Jun 22, 2023, 3:09 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Gold, DL PM, WS Plat, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by eggsbenedict
If my partner and I both purchase single traveller passes, is it possible for us to book such that we're on the same PNR?
No.

Alternatively, I assume that with a small business multi traveller flight pass I can book two people on the same PNR?
Shouldn't be an issue with any multi-traveller pass.
Old Jun 23, 2023, 8:04 am

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan
Originally Posted by eggsbenedict
If my partner and I both purchase single traveller passes, is it possible for us to book such that we're on the same PNR? I'm mostly concerned with the ability to upgrade each other if needed, but I suppose being rebooked together in the event of IRROPS would be useful as well.

You can't be on the same PNR if you have 2 single traveller passes, but you can still use eupgrades on each other if that is what you were asking. As per AC's website:
  • If your companion is travelling on the same flight but on a different reservation as you, the upgrade request must be completed with an Air Canada agent at the airport on the day of departure.
Same day upgrade might not be an issue depending on route/status, but it's certainly a PITA.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.