TSA-Pre issue, post migration

Old Feb 19, 2020, 1:00 pm

Programs: AC 50K, MR Plat
Had the same issue flying out of LAX 2 weeks ago. Presented my NEXUS to TSA, he says it doesnít say TSA PRE regular line for me.

looked at my BP and didnít have TSA Pre on it
Old Feb 19, 2020, 1:21 pm

Programs: AC*SE & 2MM/Bonvoy Gold/HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Okay so we think there's an issue with the AC/QK distinction then?

Still hard to believe TSA could say "yes" to print it on the BP but "no" through another mechanism.

And they definitely send through properly to CBP, since the GE machines give a QK flight number.

​​​​​​It may be possible for AC to refresh the system, but I still suspect blame lies with TSA.
I think their new training says, if their scanner says no, it doesn't matter what it says on screen. Maybe there have been a rash of BPs of late with bad photoshop edits, who knows.

When I looked at her screen I saw both AC and QK, so I think the bug may be in both. Maybe ticketing airline vs operating carrier and in ACs unique case, they are really close together.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 1:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by dP21
Had the same issue flying out of LAX 2 weeks ago. Presented my NEXUS to TSA, he says it doesnít say TSA PRE regular line for me.

looked at my BP and didnít have TSA Pre on it
That's not the same issue at all.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 4:18 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Regardless, if Pre✓ shows up on the BP, then the TSA-AC integration is working. If it's on the BP but their new system doesn't recognize it, then that's entirely a TSA problem.
I have no idea how you can say this without having some technical knowledge of how the new system is implemented and whether it requires additional IT integration from airlines.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by eigenvector
I have no idea how you can say this without having some technical knowledge of how the new system is implemented and whether it requires additional IT integration from airlines.
That's fair. I assumed something about the old integration that may not be true.

​​​​​
Old Feb 19, 2020, 7:49 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
AC could be lying by printing precheck on a BP, but if the new system requires not just a validate check, but also an alert/alarm post, AC could be falling down.

The former seems unlikely, the latter seems unnecessary theater. But AC IT and TSA and AC IT, so all attempts at reason and skill seem doomed to failure.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 1:13 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Marriot, Hilton, IHG, P25K
Originally Posted by Yhztraveller
This relates to an issue with TSA-Pre, but is apparently caused by the Amadeus migration. I am not sure where else to post this...

There is apparently an issue with the Amadeus migration and communication with the new TSA security system. The new system just uses your Nexus or passport at security, not your boarding pass.

On two recent trips I checked in and had TSA-Pre on my BP, but when I went into the TSA-Pre line and gave my Nexus cards to the agent to scan in the new system he said that I was not TSA-Pre and that I had to go to the regular line. I showed him by BP with TSA-Pre on it but he said that was AC's issue, I was not TSA-Pre. I then went to the regular line where the TSA agent scanned my BP and wrote "expedited" on it. When I asked her if that meant I was TSA-Pre she said yes, that's what it says on my BP and on her screen.

I inquired with a "friend in the know" and she said there was an issue with Amadeus communicating with this new TSA system. She also gave me the steps that a check-in agent should follow to solve the problem:Delete all edits in DCS

Then swipe passport...

Then last -- swipe nexus card..
This worked for me on my most recent trip (last week), although the desk agent had no idea what I was talking about. She did follow the steps that I gave her though and said it was good to know.

I am not sure how quickly this new TSA system is being rolled out, or how quickly AC IT will fix the problem. I know it is in Terminal B at BOS.

Is this not more related to the changeover in Nexus using biometrics retained in newer Canadian passports vs the retina scan?
Old Feb 20, 2020, 10:43 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by leisurefly
Is this not more related to the changeover in Nexus using biometrics retained in newer Canadian passports vs the retina scan?
Insofar as NEXUS membership grants a person access to TSA Pre, I have not seen any indication that it is done based on anything besides the Pass ID (KTN). In fact, the card not need be present. Any ID can be used as long as the KTN is entered and recognized by the airline and TSA systems.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 10:54 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Insofar as NEXUS membership grants a person access to TSA Pre, I have not seen any indication that it is done based on anything besides the Pass ID (KTN). In fact, the card not need be present. Any ID can be used as long as the KTN is entered and recognized by the airline and TSA systems.
Well, any passport, US state ID complying with RealID, or a NEXUS card.

My expired in '98 UNB student card isn't going to cut it.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 11:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K, AC 1MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold,Hertz something or other, Sandals Sapphire, etc
Originally Posted by leisurefly
The biometrics is used by Canadian Border Services and is not at all related to TSA-Pre
Old Feb 20, 2020, 5:34 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Marriot, Hilton, IHG, P25K
Originally Posted by Yhztraveller
The biometrics is used by Canadian Border Services and is not at all related to TSA-Pre
Generally agreed, but Nexus users were granted TSAPre, and in the blockchain world ....
Old Feb 26, 2020, 9:55 am

Programs: AC SE
I flew out of BOS last week and noticed the new TSA booths. They just want to see your ID, not the BP so whatever is on the BP is not relevant to them. At check-in, I asked about any issues between AC and TSA-Pre and the concierge confirmed that this had been fixed now.

So, there was an issue as reported by Yhztraveller but it apparently has been fixed now.
Yhztraveller likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 2:40 pm

Programs: AC SE, Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold, Priority Club Gold
Sorry to resurect an old thread, but just recently started travelling again and the last two times through SFO didn't get TSAPre when checking in on mobile. First time I then checked in again pre-security (since they have to check your passport anyway), recieved a printed boarding pass with TSAPre and everything worked - I believe they scanned the boarding pass. Just this past week repeated the same procedure, checked in on mobile (no TSAPre), then checked in at the airport, received a boarding pass with TSAPre, went to security but this time they scanned my passport and was then booted to the standard lane as they indicated I was not TSAPre.

After looking at the mobile app, I noticed on the mobile checkin there's an option to checkin using Nexus, so I may try that next time.

Side anecdote, other than the 15 minutes in line (vs 2) and a walk past DHS dog the standard security lane was following TSAPre screening, shoes on, light sweaters/jackets on, laptops and 311 in your bag, standard X-ray.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by lynchpin_yyz
Sorry to resurect an old thread, but just recently started travelling again and the last two times through SFO didn't get TSAPre when checking in on mobile. First time I then checked in again pre-security (since they have to check your passport anyway), recieved a printed boarding pass with TSAPre and everything worked - I believe they scanned the boarding pass. Just this past week repeated the same procedure, checked in on mobile (no TSAPre), then checked in at the airport, received a boarding pass with TSAPre, went to security but this time they scanned my passport and was then booted to the standard lane as they indicated I was not TSAPre.
If it hadn't been for the final sentence there, I would have asked "are you sure you know where to look on the mobile BP?"

But that is quite strange.

After looking at the mobile app, I noticed on the mobile checkin there's an option to checkin using Nexus, so I may try that next time.
I always use NEXUS for transborder flights, and I always get PreCheck.

Side anecdote, other than the 15 minutes in line (vs 2) and a walk past DHS dog the standard security lane was following TSAPre screening, shoes on, light sweaters/jackets on, laptops and 311 in your bag, standard X-ray.
TSA has been rolling out fancy scanning machines (including at SFO) that let everyone leave everything in their bag. But if you kept your shoes on... are you sure you weren't in a PreCheck line?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.