question on refunds

Old Feb 17, 2020, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: aeroplan
question on refunds

Hello All, I just cancelled a latitude ticket and was informed that I am getting a refund as a credit.
My question is how does this show up? Is this a balance that is now on my file? When I book a future flight, how does this show up?

Thanks so much! Roberta
Old Feb 17, 2020, 10:49 am

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
Originally Posted by rmcphail
Hello All, I just cancelled a latitude ticket and was informed that I am getting a refund as a credit.
My question is how does this show up? Is this a balance that is now on my file? When I book a future flight, how does this show up?

Thanks so much! Roberta
If it's a latitude fare, most of them are refundable. Why aren't you getting a refund back to the original FOP?
Old Feb 17, 2020, 10:53 am
Original Poster

Yes I know I am getting a refund , that is confirmed, But it is a credit to future flights,, How do I claim this?
Old Feb 17, 2020, 11:09 am

Programs: Altitude SEMM
I received a partial refund recently for a service downgrade (J -> Y). Posted back to my credit card a few days after I received notification by email of the amount of the refund.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 11:11 am

Programs: AC SE100K, *G, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Enterprise Plat
Yes I know I am getting a refund , that is confirmed, But it is a credit to future flights,, How do I claim this?
The point is that a latitude fare is fully refundable, you should be getting the ca$h back on your original form of payment.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 11:20 am
Original Poster

The website, did not give an option for cash back. only future credit, which I took. , tis frustrating.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 11:22 am

Thanks so much! Roberta
I think there was a system glitch today. Cancelled a full fare premium economy this morning and I saw the option as well (for first time) and thought it was a mistake so went ahead with cancellation and received credit instead. Called in and they processed the refund right away
Old Feb 17, 2020, 11:34 am

Programs: AC SE100K, *G, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Enterprise Plat
The website, did not give an option for cash back. only future credit, which I took. , tis frustrating.
Definitely call reservations and have them process the refund you’re entitled to.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 11:35 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Latitude fares aren't always refundable. There are a bunch of threads here on that.

Usually they are, but OP should double check.

Sometimes there are glitches with the refund system and it generates a credit instead of a refund to the original form of payment. I've found it pretty easy to get that fixed over the phone, or it can be done online via the AC customer service web forms.
YYZ_tatlflyer likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Latitude fares aren't always refundable. There are a bunch of threads here on that.

Usually they are, but OP should double check.
I stand corrected.

When I look at the fare options on the website, every category for mainline and rouge shows latitude as refundable.

Now curious so going searching.

Edit: I learned something today. Thanks guys. When is latitude refundable not refundable?

Last edited by yyckerr; Feb 17, 2020 at 11:46 am
Old Feb 17, 2020, 1:10 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by yyckerr
I stand corrected.

When I look at the fare options on the website, every category for mainline and rouge shows latitude as refundable.

Now curious so going searching.

Edit: I learned something today. Thanks guys. When is latitude refundable not refundable?
There's also this one and a host of others (Google search results for "when is a latitude fare not refundable").

There's a good chance it's just a glitch and OP just needs to phone in or submit an e-mail request, because that does happen sometimes.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Feb 17, 2020 at 1:19 pm
Old Feb 17, 2020, 1:35 pm

Programs: AC E, BA Bronze, HHonors Gold
I cancelled a latitude fare ticket back at the end of November and still have not received the money back. Called several times and was told to do the request online. I did that and still nothing. Over the phone they told me they have a high volume of refund request and its taking up to 90 days to process them. Very frustrating.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by uni3052
I cancelled a latitude fare ticket back at the end of November and still have not received the money back. Called several times and was told to do the request online. I did that and still nothing. Over the phone they told me they have a high volume of refund request and its taking up to 90 days to process them. Very frustrating.
Been a while since I had one of these (and before AC switched to Amadeus), but if getting the money back sooner is important, you may want to try calling again - you may have just gotten an agent that didn't know how or didn't want to do it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.