Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

First time in business class without points!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2020, 7:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC-25k, Marriott-Platinum

Hey flyertalk! Sorta a humble brag but I'm super proud of myself being able to afford a business class ticket on my own! It's a treat for hitting some personal goals over the past year both financially and personally.

I used a coupon to save a bit (30%!) but am flying YOW->YVR->ICN and then ICN->YYZ->YOW. Any tips on what I can expect? I'm altitude 25k so nothing really but will this get me close enough to 35k or perhaps even 50k? How can I enjoy this as much as possible? My flights are all on AC metal I believe: AC 341, AC 063, AC 062, AC 468.
thop, seat38a, unclepants and 8 others like this.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 7:19 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Originally Posted by mars_precision
It's a treat for hitting some personal goals over the past year 68.
Congrats!

Are you just turning around or staying in Seoul for a while?

My mantra is normally sleep the right amount and i have a great routine laid out so I can avoid jetlag, but I know others want to enjoy the experience as much as possible (ie food, drinks and movies) and will sleep later. What are you trying to achieve? Max enjoyment or avoiding jet lag?
Old Feb 14, 2020, 7:21 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Hey flyertalk! Sorta a humble brag but I'm super proud of myself being able to afford a business class ticket on my own! It's a treat for hitting some personal goals over the past year both financially and personally.

I used a coupon to save a bit (30%!) but am flying YOW->YVR->ICN and then ICN->YYZ->YOW. Any tips on what I can expect? I'm altitude 25k so nothing really but will this get me close enough to 35k or perhaps even 50k? How can I enjoy this as much as possible? My flights are all on AC metal I believe: AC 341, AC 063, AC 062, AC 468.
@mars_precision
Congrats and enjoy your adventure.

On AC 63, order the Bibimbap, the Korean main dish (I posted photos in the International Business Class Meal thread). I really enjoyed it on my various AC 63 flights. Also, the AC 63/64 route had some of the best AC cabin crews I've ever flown with.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 8:30 am

Programs: MileagePlus 1K, Marriott Platinum, MPC Green
Congrats! When is your flight? If it's after the YVR Signature Suite opens (supposedly mid March), do use it. The signature suite in YYZ is awesome!
Old Feb 14, 2020, 9:15 am

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by escherfan
The signature suite in YYZ is awesome!
OP won’t have access
Old Feb 14, 2020, 9:59 am

Programs: MileagePlus 1K, Marriott Platinum, MPC Green
Originally Posted by pmarrsouth
OP won’t have access
If the YVR suite opens by the time they fly, then they should have access. I mentioned YYZ signature suite because to indicate that the YVR suite is likely to be awesome too, not I thought they would have access their inbound to YOW.
canadiancow and pmarrsouth like this.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 5:19 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, *G, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Enterprise Plat
I'm altitude 25k so nothing really but will this get me close enough to 35k or perhaps even 50k?
Your trip is going to net you 21,964 AQM +/- a few miles.

So depending on your travel plans for the rest of the year, you’re off to a nice start.

Have fun! Personally I’m a big fan of the post-meal cheese and cognac on overseas J
canopus27 and C-FMWQ like this.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 5:56 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Congrats on the achievement!

I'm altitude 25k so nothing really but will this get me close enough to 35k or perhaps even 50k?
Originally Posted by yyckerr
Your trip is going to net you 21,964 AQM +/- a few miles.
21,236, actually. Note the return via YYZ is shorter than the outbound via YVR

OP, there's a calculator spreadsheet put together by a few FTers that can help you figure out how many miles you're going to earn on any given route: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-...miles-aqd.html
Old Feb 14, 2020, 5:59 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, *G, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Enterprise Plat
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
21,236, actually. Note the return via YYZ is shorter than the outbound via YVR
Oops. Missed the YYZ part.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Have fun! Personally I’m a big fan of the post-meal cheese and cognac on overseas J
Hmmm...

Although I do have cheese, I find that, except somehow out of London, it's typically not great.

Plus, cheese comes with port, which remains one of the drinks that they have not downgraded too badly. I typically have the port but I pass on the cognac. Not that I don't like it, but at that point, better not overdo the alcohol... :-)

But eh, if you are young and brave and did not overd the champagne, why not go for it. ;-)
Old Feb 14, 2020, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by Stranger
But eh, if you are young and brave and did not overd the champagne, why not go for it. ;-)
Neither young nor brave, but like cheese, port, cognac and most things that are bad for you.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Neither young nor brave, but like cheese, port, cognac and most things that are bad for you.
Eh, I know the feeling... :-)
canopus27, frenchkiki and yyckerr like this.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 8:29 pm

Programs: AC SE100*1MM; Spire Ambassador

congrats to you for the major milestone and the accomplishment!
Old Feb 14, 2020, 8:29 pm

Personally I’m a big fan of the post-meal cheese and cognac on overseas J
When you don't get the cold camembert, right?
frenchkiki likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 8:43 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by mathemagic
When you don't get the cold camembert, right?
Or broken crackers!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.