Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC pilots using the term "our company"

Old Feb 13, 20, 8:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC*G-E100K (once again)

Pilot: "I'm told by our company that the aircraft that is in our gate is being pushed back, and we should be on our way shortly"

Strange that they use that form of terminology - "our company". So distant. Why not "our colleagues" or even "our operations team". Is the cultural relationship between pilots and operations very distant?
Old Feb 13, 20, 9:11 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Actually not strange at all. 'Company' is used in ATC communications to refer to planes from your same company. So it's logical the pilots will use that term out of habit.
Old Feb 13, 20, 9:38 pm

Programs: CX MPC GO, AMEX PLAT, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Radisson Gold, IHG Spire
No need to over think into this. Unlike gate agents or flight attendants, pilots do not receive much (if any) training on PAs. There are also no scripts to any of the common PAs, so when pilots make PAs they are basically just talking on the spot, and as D582 said, the word "company" is a common word used in other settings, so it was probably just one of the quick words that came into mind as the pilot was speaking on the spot.
Old Feb 13, 20, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC S100K, Accor Plat, Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond
I talk about "my company" all the time.

What's the issue?
bcnfish likes this.
Old Feb 13, 20, 9:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
Most passengers wouldn't know who or what the operations team is, but everyone knows who the compahy is.
Old Feb 13, 20, 10:02 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
I think everybody on the plane would grasp the concept of having an operations team. I also think that referring to your company in conversations away from work is miles different than referring to it when at work, talking to customers. I agree with the OP, in that it's weird, distant terminology. I don't believe it's emblematic of a cultural rift between the pilot group and the wider employee base, but it's a funny term to use.
Pilots do indeed receive basic scripts for PA announcements. They're not all mandatory, nor as rigid and formal as those given by flight attendants, (which mainly must adhere to regulatory requirements), but it's no coincidence they all say the same insipid "sit back, relax and enjoy the flight" and "we know you have many travel options and we appreciate you choosing Air Canada" or some such thing.
cooleddie likes this.
Old Feb 13, 20, 11:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by D582 View Post
Actually not strange at all. 'Company' is used in ATC communications to refer to planes from your same company. So it's logical the pilots will use that term out of habit.
Interesting. Didn't know that
Old Feb 13, 20, 11:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer View Post
I think everybody on the plane would grasp the concept of having an operations team. I also think that referring to your company in conversations away from work is miles different than referring to it when at work, talking to customers. I agree with the OP, in that it's weird, distant terminology. I don't believe it's emblematic of a cultural rift between the pilot group and the wider employee base, but it's a funny term to use.
Pilots do indeed receive basic scripts for PA announcements. They're not all mandatory, nor as rigid and formal as those given by flight attendants, (which mainly must adhere to regulatory requirements), but it's no coincidence they all say the same insipid "sit back, relax and enjoy the flight" and "we know you have many travel options and we appreciate you choosing Air Canada" or some such thing.
Yup that was my thinking. But if this is their daily lingo then ok. It's just weird terminology for a non ATC guy. You'd think they would say "our ground crew team" or something a bit more collegial than refering to the corporation.
Old Feb 13, 20, 11:50 pm

I think they said that because they do not want to be closely related...
Old Feb 14, 20, 12:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
Line up behind the company triple seven...
YYCNoob and Admiral Ackbar like this.
Old Feb 14, 20, 12:18 am

Programs: AC SE, Hertz 5*, Avis P+, Acc Plat, HY Exp, HH Gold, BonV Titanium
I have a opposite impression than the OP. To me the word “company” is irrelevant. My focus is on the word “our” - which often denotes a closer relationship or more engaged employee - than when the term “the” or some other 3rd party term is used.
Old Feb 14, 20, 12:19 am

Programs: AC SE100K, WS Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor/Hilton/Radisson/NH Gold
Eddie, "our operations team" could also leave the passenger wondering whether it was AC's operations team or YYZ/GTAA's. If any of them even noticed this linguistic nuance at all. Which they probably didn't (other than you)
Old Feb 14, 20, 7:36 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Elite/Ambassador. NEXUS, National
Also its the distinction of a Captian saying "my aircraft", where he can marry PAX, dispense justice, and CFIT as much as they well please, with some restrictions placed on them by the company.
Old Feb 14, 20, 7:55 am

Programs: AC E50K (*G), WS Gold
Originally Posted by RangerNS View Post
Also its the distinction of a Captian saying "my aircraft", where he can marry PAX, dispense justice, and CFIT as much as they well please, with some restrictions placed on them by the company.
I hope the company doesn’t allow controlled flight into terrain...
C-FMWQ likes this.
Old Feb 14, 20, 8:00 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Elite/Ambassador. NEXUS, National
Originally Posted by YHZ_Flyer View Post
I hope the company doesn’t allow controlled flight into terrain...
Its rule #1.
YHZ_Flyer likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: