Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: what happened to eUpgrade waitlisting?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: what happened to eUpgrade waitlisting?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2020, 8:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE
what happened to eUpgrade waitlisting?

Trying to upgrade from PE to business (YYZ-TLV) and just getting "unavailable" and no option to be added to waiting list. Have not seen this before, I was always able to add myself to the list and get cleared (or not) later. Called AC and the agent said there is no space left when in fact the flight has plenty of space in J. Anyone else seeing this issue? Would concierge be able to help with this?
Old Feb 12, 2020, 10:22 pm

When is your flight? If your flight is already under airport control you might be out of luck as airports are under a different system (temporarily) since the Amadeus conversion.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 12:16 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Is your eUpgrade window open yet?
Old Feb 13, 2020, 4:51 am

Programs: AC SE100K 1MM, FB Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by nashif
Trying to upgrade from PE to business (YYZ-TLV) and just getting "unavailable" and no option to be added to waiting list. Have not seen this before, I was always able to add myself to the list and get cleared (or not) later. Called AC and the agent said there is no space left when in fact the flight has plenty of space in J. Anyone else seeing this issue? Would concierge be able to help with this?
The new system indicates it is unavailable prior to the window opening. This is a change from the old system. Once the window is open it will allow you to add yourself to the waitlist. If you are within the 36 hour window, you can contact the concierge if you are super elite. Keep in mind that advance upgrade space on international flights are booked into R space (P if the fare booked is O/Y/B). If this space is gone then you will be waitlisted which may or may not clear based on the number of advance bookings into the other business fare classes and the time to the flight. It is not as simple as you suggest - that you can obtain an upgrade if there appears to be J class available - this isn't the case.
zappy312 likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Is your eUpgrade window open yet?
yeah, flight is next week and I am within the 7 day eUpgrade window.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 9:39 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Is there R space? Which date is the flight?
Old Feb 13, 2020, 9:59 am

Programs: AC SE*MM
Last time I was in the 7 day window and it wouldn't let me waitlist either; that was this week. I had to email the concierge and they cleared me in to R space.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 10:05 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW
Last time I was in the 7 day window and it wouldn't let me waitlist either; that was this week. I had to email the concierge and they cleared me in to R space.
I can see that R=0 on AC80 in the next week.... and PE looks mostly full.

I would still contact the Concierge as suggested by RatherBeInYOW as they are often proactively clearing SE upgrade requests to avoid them having issues the day of the flight.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 10:48 am

Programs: Aeroplan
I also was surprised to find that I could not even request a waitlisted upgrade on a YVR-YYZ flight (+120). The first time that I have never had waitlist as an option. At the same time, I was still able to make a waitlisted upgrade request for the return flight (+192).
Old Feb 13, 2020, 4:41 pm

Programs: AC E75K
Call in! I found this several weeks ago, there appeared to be no valid reason why the upgrade for my flights were showing 'not available', so I called in and the agent checked, found no reason for the upgrade to be blocked, and then she manually added me to the waitlist. She blamed the new system, said sometimes it just doesn't work correctly. So after you've confirmed that there is no valid reason, e.g. are you actually in the upgrade window etc.., just call in. For me it was worth it since I actually ended up getting the upgrades the next week.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 10:30 am

Programs: AC SE100K 1MM, FB Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold Elite, Hilton Gold
Definitely contact the concierge - they should be able to help you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.