Seat fees non-refundable?

Old Jul 1, 22, 12:25 pm

Programs: AC*S100K ACMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Adam Smith View Post
Nope, website is still the same and the process I described is unchanged. Your link just cuts it a bit shorter.
Even with your instructions, I was unable to find the link before. Now I look again, I do see it ... so you are correct (of course you are ) ... but OMG. That flow is a textbook definition of terrible usability.
vancouver25k likes this.
Old Sep 6, 22, 3:39 am

Originally Posted by Adam Smith View Post
Nope, website is still the same and the process I described is unchanged. Your link just cuts it a bit shorter.
OK, so the flight has occurred and I was in non-preferred seats. But they said I was "entitled to an alcoholic drink." Which I did not take as I did not want one. I paid for the seat, not the alcohol. I am going to request the refund, but I fear they will think they have provided the service that I paid for, which they most certainly did not.

I waited to see if some preferred seats would open, and two actually did, but that was not enough for my party.

Will I have a problem getting the refund?

Last edited by Marty McFly; Sep 6, 22 at 3:55 am
Old Sep 6, 22, 12:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Tit LT Sil, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Accor Gold, UA Silver
Did you pay for preferred seats, or did you buy a Comfort fare?

CO fares entitle you to preferred seats at no charge, when available. They also provide various other benefits.

I don't get a refund every time I sit in a regular seat, even though I "bought" one through earning SE status.
Old Sep 7, 22, 4:13 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
Did you pay for preferred seats, or did you buy a Comfort fare?

CO fares entitle you to preferred seats at no charge, when available. They also provide various other benefits.

I don't get a refund every time I sit in a regular seat, even though I "bought" one through earning SE status.
I guess I'm not very familiar with the fare types on AC. I went back and look and it was a Comfort fare. Then I looked up what a Comfort fare is. That explains why they didn't charge me for bags.

I don't recall what types were available when I made the booking 6 months ago, but if a lower fare was available, I would only have bought the Comfort fare because the preferred seat was included, and only if it was less than the lower available fare plus the preferred seat fee plus the checked bag fee. Otherwise I would have bought a lower fare. Not all of us needed a checked bag.

That's annoying, verging on deceptive. A learning experience I guess.

Thanks for the insight, much appreciated!

Search this Thread