Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

75 minute connection at Toronto on Boston - Tokyo flight; customs?

Old Feb 4, 20, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

Hi all! I am taking AirCanada from Boston, MA to Tokyo Japan with a connecting flight in Toronto for 45 minutes between... do I have to go through customs in Toronto before boarding my connecting international flight to Japan?? I only have 45 minutes between when I land in Toronto from Boston and leave to Japan from Toronto. Iíve never taken an international flight before. Thank you!
Old Feb 4, 20, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Who sold you that ticket? Seems it s below the MCT which is 60 minutes. If you bought with AC and there was a schedule change, you should get them to change it for a longer connection. If not get back to your TA and tell them they sold you an illegal connection. They should fix t for you at no cost, and don't take no for an answer. Actually they broke the rules.

If you got two separate tickets, tough luck and likely your fault.
dr_torch, canadiancow and becks1 like this.
Old Feb 4, 20, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Tit, HH Diamond, Hyatt Glob, Accor Gold, UA Silver
Stranger's response is best.

But to answer the question, no, you do not have to goo through customs. You just scan your passport at a kiosk.

45 minutes is certainly doable if there are no delays.

But get this rebooked.
Old Feb 4, 20, 4:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post

But to answer the question, no, you do not have to goo through customs. You just scan your passport at a kiosk.

45 minutes is certainly doable if there are no delays.

But get this rebooked.
i booked through Google Flights
Old Feb 4, 20, 4:21 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, UA peon, BA Bronze, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by Colls054 View Post
i booked through Google Flights
Google flights is just a search engine. They don’t actually sell tickets. Who did it direct you to when you booked the flight? Air Canada or another OTA like Orbitz or Cheap-O-Air? As Stranger says, get on the phone with whoever took your money and get rebooked.
Old Feb 4, 20, 5:38 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AC .875MM, Marriott Gold, Hertz something or other, Sandals Sapphire, etc
Originally Posted by Finkface View Post
Google flights is just a search engine. They donít actually sell tickets. Who did it direct you to when you booked the flight? Air Canada or another OTA like Orbitz or Cheap-O-Air? As Stranger says, get on the phone with whoever took your money and get rebooked.
i suspect OP means 45 mins between arrival and boarding, which is fine, and I do not think you even need to scan your passport.
Old Feb 4, 20, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Tit, HH Diamond, Hyatt Glob, Accor Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Yhztraveller View Post
i suspect OP means 45 mins between arrival and boarding, which is fine, and I do not think you even need to scan your passport.
You do for all OSS us/intl-intl connections.
OSSYULYYZ likes this.
Old Feb 4, 20, 5:58 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AC .875MM, Marriott Gold, Hertz something or other, Sandals Sapphire, etc
You do for all OSS us/intl-intl connections.
i will defer to the expert....
Old Feb 4, 20, 6:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Plain and simple this is an "illegal" connection. Whether it is doable is irrelevant as the MCT is 1:00 hour. At some point the ticketing carrier will catch this and. at worst, OP won't be permitted to check in.

As this is posted in the AC forum, I'll presume that this is an AC-to-AC connection. Thus, OP ought to call AC immediately and have them rebook. Rather than relying on AC for good information, OP ought to to do the research to determine what the best connection is.

It would be most helpful if OP would post the date, routing, carrier(s), and flight numbers, just so that all of this can be confirmed.
Old Feb 4, 20, 7:30 pm
Original Poster

I just called AirCanada and they told me I read the email confirmation wrong- the layover is an hour and 15 minutes. Is this still doable? Still wondering about customs...
Old Feb 4, 20, 8:02 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Elite/Ambassador. NEXUS, National
I just called AirCanada and they told me I read the email confirmation wrong- the layover is an hour and 15 minutes. Is this still doable? Still wondering about customs...
Same answer about customs as upthread. Passport scan is all you need. Assuming that is you have (or don't need) an eTa. Canadians and US citizens are exempt.
Old Feb 4, 20, 8:04 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE100K, WS Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor/Hilton/Radisson/NH Gold
Is this still doable?
Yes.

Still wondering about customs...
You already have the answer, from the first reply. No, you just scan your passport at a kiosk.

Edit: RangerNS posted while I was typing
Old Feb 5, 20, 5:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
As long as your flight from BOS to YYZ is on time or close, you'll be fine. YYZ is built to speed transfers like yours; AC markets its ex-YYZ longhaul services heavily to Americans who do what you'll be doing by the hundred every day.

Returning via YYZ to the States, and going through tedious US preclearance and multiple scans / checks / etc. for no apparent purpose, is another, longer story.
Old Feb 5, 20, 6:09 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
And just to avoid confusion, you most certainly do not go through customs, but there is a quick immigration check. Just look for the international connections
signs when you near the immigration hall.
Old Feb 5, 20, 8:49 am

Programs: CO-plat, SPG-plat

Does anyone know the reason for the passport check? International-international connecting passengers don't enter Canada, and NRT, HKG, etc don't scan passports for connecting passengers.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: