Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Equipment Change YYZ-MIA Feb 13 to 787-8 Dreamliner

Old Feb 3, 2020, 10:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC 50K, Bonvoy PE; Hilton Diamond

Noticed today that AC seems to have swapped out the equipment on AC920 on Feb 13 from a Rouge flight to a Dreamliner. What's interesting is that I was able to snag a PE seat on Aeroplan fixed mileage -- so far the only seat that appears to be occupied is my own. On AC.com they don't even show PE as being available -- nor is Y -- although it looks as if Y may be sold out.

No clue as to why the equipment change, or why PE is not even showing up for paid seats. Maybe Y was oversold so the swapped out the equipment since PE = Y on Rouge.

Anyone seen this happen before?
Old Feb 3, 2020, 11:13 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Sam_AE
No clue as to why the equipment change
AC will have a few spare widebodies while flights to China are suspended (there's a whole thread on it), so perhaps they're putting it to use here.

920 doesn't show up on EF yet, so I couldn't check the availability in detail. Odd that it's showing up without PE but that you were able to snag a PE seat.

If 920 is replacing 1842, that was a 321, so a 788 has a few more seats - doubtful Y would be full then.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 5:03 am

Programs: Aeroplan 50K/Star Alliance Gold, Accor Gold, base level Marriott/Hyatt/Hilton
Let’s hope they extend this to more rouge flights during the cancellation. Particularly to Europe. They will have plenty of B788s and B789s that they’ll at least have somewhere to fly with. Maybe test it on routes that could potentially be lucrative on mainline?
Old Feb 4, 2020, 5:09 am

Programs: AC*G-E100K (once again)
Wish they can do it on Barbados BGI!
Old Feb 4, 2020, 5:09 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
reminds me of a couple years back: an extra widebody segment with pods that AC added to Jamaica.... But then forced cancellations or changes on to everyone who bought tickets).
Old Feb 4, 2020, 7:16 am

Programs: AC SE
Meanwhile I'm flying YYZ-TPA next month and was booked on a P fare on a Rouge 763. That flight has been downgauged to an all-Y A321 and AC has dropped me in a middle seat somewhere in the back. Nice.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 7:50 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by yyztozag
Let’s hope they extend this to more rouge flights during the cancellation. Particularly to Europe. They will have plenty of B788s and B789s that they’ll at least have somewhere to fly with. Maybe test it on routes that could potentially be lucrative on mainline?
Unlikely. Far more likely that the widebodies would replace rouge on domestic routes where rouge has temporarily been subbing in for mainline.
gcashin and RangerNS like this.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 9:40 am

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
Originally Posted by cooleddie
BGI already has lions no? Pretty good compared to all the other Carribean destinations.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 4:15 pm

Programs: AA, AC
And I just booked MCO-YYZ for next week and it's not rouge but a mainline A330.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 6:04 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by cooleddie
BGI operated with 787-9 Fin 846 on January 31st (AC966/967).
Old Feb 5, 2020, 6:26 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by jasdou
Meanwhile I'm flying YYZ-TPA next month and was booked on a P fare on a Rouge 763. That flight has been downgauged to an all-Y A321 and AC has dropped me in a middle seat somewhere in the back. Nice.
Brutal. Did you manage to get them to put you on a different flight?
Old Feb 5, 2020, 6:36 am

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
AC will have a few spare widebodies while flights to China are suspended.
Originally Posted by yyztozag
They will have plenty of B788s and B789s that they’ll at least have somewhere to fly with..
The concept of 'spare widebodies' is not as prevalent as some might believe. There have been a couple parked Dreamliners at AC hangars over the past couple days, but they are quickly being spoken for in terms of acting as the consolidated-flight aircraft on specific routes, undergoing some deferred work or as Adam later implied, restoring some normalcy to the AC schedule in the wake of the Max crisis:

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Far more likely that the widebodies would replace rouge on domestic routes where rouge has temporarily been subbing in for mainline.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 7:23 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by ffsim
Brutal. Did you manage to get them to put you on a different flight?
No other alternative works for me. I need to be in TPA on a specific day and the only other option would involve an overnight connection in YYZ to get on the early morning flight. I got a very nice agent to help me out though and they have issued a partial refund for the fare difference.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 8:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC 50K, Bonvoy PE; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Sam_AE
Noticed today that AC seems to have swapped out the equipment on AC920 on Feb 13 from a Rouge flight to a Dreamliner. What's interesting is that I was able to snag a PE seat on Aeroplan fixed mileage -- so far the only seat that appears to be occupied is my own. On AC.com they don't even show PE as being available -- nor is Y -- although it looks as if Y may be sold out.
Interesting luck I'm having... turns out AC920/AC921 are the Dreamliner on my return flight too -- MIA-YYZ on Feb 17. Seems like Miami is the place to be for the Family Day long weekend. I was able to get a fixed mileage PE seat on this return flight too. PE seems to book into "N" class -- can I use eupgrades to get to J? Sorry, I'm hijacking my own thread
Old Feb 6, 2020, 11:00 am

Programs: BA blue,, aeroplan 25K
New flights additions over March Break

Used a flight pass coupon recently to book a flight March 14th to MCO from Toronto as economy rouge fares were rediculous over $800 for flex. Just noticed mainline flights now added on 787’s with economy and even J fares much cheaper. In fact lowest J fare was just over $600 and a few dollars cheaper than lowest premium economy !!
hard to make sense of it but we booked it anyway
$639 for Mainline J to MCO was a bargain over March Break. Is this common that they add flights and cheaper than current available rouge flights ?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.