0 Checked bags NA to MENA ??

Old Feb 2, 20, 5:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat, DL Silver, Hertz PC, Avis Pref+, Accor Silver
0 Checked bags NA to MENA ??

Was flying on a TLV-SFO-LAS-YYZ-TLV ticket: UA stock, TLV-LAS on UA and the rest on AC (Rouge then AC)
My free checked bags (as UA *G)showed up on my UA resvn as 2 outgoing, 1 incoming. Thought it was a glitch, but apparently not....

Checked in at LAS for the return, not using *G (ie no status). Checked in one bag, to YYZ only (was asked if I wanted it checked through to final destination, elected to pick it up at YYZ for some shopping)

Checking in again at YYZ - was told my YYZ-TLV had zero free checked bags (obviously not what they saw when checking me in at LAS)....
*G would give me one free checked bag but that was it.

SO this is interesting: this is the first time I have ever seen a non-LCC TATL to Israel as HLO, zero checked bags. do they exist ??
Also, I'm curios as to how this would work - incoming with fewer checked bags than incoming, on the same *A ticket ?
Old Feb 2, 20, 6:12 am

Originally Posted by dand99 View Post
Was flying on a TLV-SFO-LAS-YYZ-TLV ticket: UA stock, TLV-LAS on UA and the rest on AC (Rouge then AC)
My free checked bags (as UA *G)showed up on my UA resvn as 2 outgoing, 1 incoming. Thought it was a glitch, but apparently not....

Checked in at LAS for the return, not using *G (ie no status). Checked in one bag, to YYZ only (was asked if I wanted it checked through to final destination, elected to pick it up at YYZ for some shopping)

Checking in again at YYZ - was told my YYZ-TLV had zero free checked bags (obviously not what they saw when checking me in at LAS)....
*G would give me one free checked bag but that was it.

SO this is interesting: this is the first time I have ever seen a non-LCC TATL to Israel as HLO, zero checked bags. do they exist ??
Also, I'm curios as to how this would work - incoming with fewer checked bags than incoming, on the same *A ticket ?
your base allowance excluding *G benefit should be the same for the entire ticket when the ticket is to and from US

you should get one standard bag included in your ticket, maybe the guy at YYZ didn't know you short check a bag and therefore he though that you've used your base allowance already. since UA is the first marketing carrier, UA dictates the base allowance and the information has to be printed on the receipt.
Old Feb 3, 20, 1:06 am
Original Poster

No, he was aware I had short checked a bag - the checked bag allowance was showing as zero in his system.
UA showed me 2 checked bags outgoing, one checked bag incoming, but UA already takes status (*G) into account.
Also, the information shown by UA can be sketchy at times....

Interesting about the base allowance - so is it a given that checked bags allowed should be the same both outgoing and incoming ?

Originally Posted by aznfreak007 View Post
your base allowance excluding *G benefit should be the same for the entire ticket when the ticket is to and from US

you should get one standard bag included in your ticket, maybe the guy at YYZ didn't know you short check a bag and therefore he though that you've used your base allowance already. since UA is the first marketing carrier, UA dictates the base allowance and the information has to be printed on the receipt.
Old Feb 3, 20, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by dand99 View Post
No, he was aware I had short checked a bag - the checked bag allowance was showing as zero in his system.
UA showed me 2 checked bags outgoing, one checked bag incoming, but UA already takes status (*G) into account.
Also, the information shown by UA can be sketchy at times....

Interesting about the base allowance - so is it a given that checked bags allowed should be the same both outgoing and incoming ?
slide 22 and 23 of the powerpoint

https://www.transportation.gov/airco...age-provisions

yes, same set of base allowance for outgoing and incoming.

slide 19 for baggage fee information

if the ticket is issued by united, i would have printed the receipt showing the allowance and ask AC check in agents to comply the DOT rules or files a DOT complaint afterwards for non compliance.

it's weird because i don't see AC offering economy basic to TLV, so first bag should be free for them as well.
dand99 likes this.

Last edited by aznfreak007; Feb 3, 20 at 7:23 am
Old Feb 3, 20, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aznfreak007 View Post
slide 22 and 23 of the powerpoint

https://www.transportation.gov/airco...age-provisions

yes, same set of base allowance for outgoing and incoming.

slide 19 for baggage fee information

if the ticket is issued by united, i would have printed the receipt showing the allowance and ask AC check in agents to comply the DOT rules or files a DOT complaint afterwards for non compliance.

it's weird because i don't see AC offering economy basic to TLV, so first bag should be free for them as well.
Thanks, that was useful.

I am assuming, though, that this refers to basic baggage allowance, without additions for status and so on

Search this Thread
Search Engine: