Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Unofficial AC PNR Viewing Tool (cowtool)

Old Jan 7, 2022, 12:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: canadiancow
https://acpnr.cowtool.com/

Feature Requests / Bug Reports
  • More direct links to partner airline "manage booking" pages
  • For points bookings, show how many points were used
  • Sometimes when you have UN segments, it doesn't show the entire PNR
  • How about a one tool using the other: PNR lookup tool could show R space available Y/N if pax isn't already upgraded.
  • Can seat # be a clickable link to carrier manage booking/seat?
  • Display ticket create date/time, helpful to know when reticketed due to schedule change.
Print Wikipost

Unofficial AC PNR Viewing Tool (cowtool)

Old Jan 18, 2023, 12:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
And now all my beta testers (you know who you are, and no, you can't become one) have access.

It runs a few more code paths if you have the ability to save bookings (regardless of whether you actually save it), so I want a bit more testing before I turn it on for everyone. I already had one email earlier when the code path wasn't properly blocked off (thanks canopus27) and it was erroring.

I guess I also need to re-enable registration without granting access to the reward search tool... sigh.
Old Jan 18, 2023, 1:45 am

I guess it shows the checkbox to save the booking even though I'm not a beta tester?

Also noticed earlier that I had "Saved bookings" visible.
Old Jan 18, 2023, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vancouver25k
I guess it shows the checkbox to save the booking even though I'm not a beta tester?

Also noticed earlier that I had "Saved bookings" visible.
Is the checkbox enabled?

It should be disabled if you don't have access. In the near future, that will only be if you're not logged in.

The saved bookings box takes up unnecessary space if you can't save anything, which is why it's hidden for you.
vancouver25k likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2023, 1:48 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Is the checkbox enabled?

It should be disabled if you don't have access. In the near future, that will only be if you're not logged in.

The saved bookings box takes up unnecessary space if you can't save anything, which is why it's hidden for you.
I love the saved bookings, so far it's working well for me ... but I'm not a huge fan of the usability of just having a checkbox (which implies you have to select it before you even load the PNR). Perhaps it's just me, but I'd like to load & read the PNR - verify that I have the right one loaded, etc - and *then* I would like a "Save" button, which would save it to the list for me.

What I've done to date is basically load all of the PNRs I want to track, read & verify them (as above) ... and then I select the checkbox and re-hit the "load" button in order to save it. That's a little bit of a clunky user flow (which I could live with, but it's clunky) - but I suspect the bigger motivation for you is that I end up driving two "load" actions just in order to accomplish a save, and over time I suspect that has cost implications to you.

A single "Save" button from a loaded PNR view would address both of those issues.
Old Jan 18, 2023, 1:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by canopus27
I love the saved bookings, so far it's working well for me ... but I'm not a huge fan of the usability of just having a checkbox (which implies you have to select it before you even load the PNR). Perhaps it's just me, but I'd like to load & read the PNR - verify that I have the right one loaded, etc - and *then* I would like a "Save" button, which would save it to the list for me.

What I've done to date is basically load all of the PNRs I want to track, read & verify them (as above) ... and then I select the checkbox and re-hit the "load" button in order to save it. That's a little bit of a clunky user flow (which I could live with, but it's clunky) - but I suspect the bigger motivation for you is that I end up driving two "load" actions just in order to accomplish a save, and over time I suspect that has cost implications to you.

A single "Save" button from a loaded PNR view would address both of those issues.
There's no way to do that without storing the raw data somewhere, which I'm not sure I want to do.

If there's a PNR I'm even looking at, then I want to save it*

*I'm a little bit of an edge case, because I often look at other peoples' PNRs for testing purposes.
Old Jan 18, 2023, 1:57 pm

There's no way to do that without storing the raw data somewhere, which I'm not sure I want to do.

If there's a PNR I'm even looking at, then I want to save it*

*I'm a little bit of an edge case, because I often look at other peoples' PNRs for testing purposes.
Ah, right. Yes, I understand. OK. Well, I'll stick with my current approach then

Either way, kudos - I like it. Thx.
Old Jan 18, 2023, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by canopus27
Ah, right. Yes, I understand. OK. Well, I'll stick with my current approach then

Either way, kudos - I like it. Thx.
Honestly it's less resources if you always save it, and then delete it if you don't need it.

Saving and deleting a booking is substantially cheaper than loading it a second time.
Old Jan 18, 2023, 3:31 pm

Honestly it's less resources if you always save it, and then delete it if you don't need it.

Saving and deleting a booking is substantially cheaper than loading it a second time.
So default to always save?
Old Jan 18, 2023, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vancouver25k
So default to always save?
I suspect I'll end up defaulting it to whether you have any existing saved bookings.

I don't want to default-opt-in to storing your data with me (not that I store much - there's currently nothing more than is displayed).
vancouver25k likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2023, 8:07 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE100K, Accor Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium Elite, BW Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
I thought I had an account since I get the change notifications emails and link to tripit.
Then I started doubting when my autofill password did not have anything.
Then more doubts by not receiving a password reset email.
​​​​​​Then thought I found a loophole since the forgot password has a register button...

Then I got a user poll whatever cannot register. I'm bummed!

edit: thank you for reopening registration [MENTION=599574]canadiancow[/MENTION]

Last edited by theBeachBoy; Jan 19, 2023 at 11:52 am
Old Jan 20, 2023, 8:22 am

Programs: Cessna TTx Self-Fly
What a great tool. I have flights booked through Princess EZ AIR with AF as the outbound carrier from YOW-BCN and returning from ATH on AC. The AC website won't allow me to see my AC flights using the PNR supplied by EZ AIR. This tool shows both my AC flights and my AF flights using said PNR. Thanks, cow!
Old Jan 20, 2023, 12:00 pm

Programs: SE 100K
Should I (pre-existing account) have access to the save PNR feature yet?
Was a bit confused with your post in the Cowtool Award Search thread and didn't know if that applied to this tool as well.
Old Jan 20, 2023, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

No, as mentioned upthread.
Old Jan 20, 2023, 4:07 pm

Feature request: Now that you're training me to start from cowtool.com (which I need to do in order to make sure I always get logged in correctly) ... I'm losing the lastname param as a default on the PNR viewer. It's a minor nit, but an inconvenience.

It would be great if I could visit https://www.cowtool.com/?lastName=Canopus27
and then when I select the AC PNR Viewer tool, the link would launch with https://acpnr.cowtool.com/?lastName=Canopus27 (so that the UI pre-fills)
canadiancow and Bohemian1 like this.
Old Jan 20, 2023, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

Good idea. I might just let you save a default last name so you can drop the parameter anyway.

But the login should last for a month or so...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.