Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Unofficial AC PNR Viewing Tool (cowtool)

Old Jan 7, 2022, 12:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: canadiancow
https://acpnr.cowtool.com/

Feature Requests / Bug Reports
  • More direct links to partner airline "manage booking" pages
  • For points bookings, show how many points were used
  • Sometimes when you have UN segments, it doesn't show the entire PNR
  • How about a one tool using the other: PNR lookup tool could show R space available Y/N if pax isn't already upgraded.
  • Can seat # be a clickable link to carrier manage booking/seat?
  • Display ticket create date/time, helpful to know when reticketed due to schedule change.
Print Wikipost

Unofficial AC PNR Viewing Tool (cowtool)

Old Jan 12, 2023, 8:15 pm

Programs: SE 100K
Getting a time out error message a lot + unable to see any of my PNR's. Tried changing "Format" to a few different options but same error message.
Browser / issue on my end? {"message": "Endpoint request timed out"}
Old Jan 13, 2023, 1:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by CanadianMike
Getting a time out error message a lot + unable to see any of my PNR's. Tried changing "Format" to a few different options but same error message.
Browser / issue on my end? {"message": "Endpoint request timed out"}
Changing the format won't help.

There's a hard 29s timeout due to how it's currently implemented. One of my next projects is to basically eliminate that timeout. "Try again later" ?

api.ft.canadiancow.com is basically "I'm playing around with stuff and never really meant for it to be publicly accessible but it I shared it anyway because it worked well enough".

When it lives on cowtool.com, it will work better.

Unfortunately I can't commit to when that will happen.
CanadianMike likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2023, 7:00 pm

Last few days have been getting "An error occurred. Check your input and try again." for both PNRs I've checked.

Not sure if issue on my end.
Old Jan 13, 2023, 7:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sameruval
Last few days have been getting "An error occurred. Check your input and try again." for both PNRs I've checked.

Not sure if issue on my end.
It's been working all day for me.

I broke it in the last 15 minutes, but it should be fixed now.

Edit: I'm not sure if it's fixed
Edit: Yeah, I'm successfully loading PNRs.

I'm working on eliminating the 29s timeout right now, which should be really helpful for larger PNRs.

Edit: Yeah I don't know what's going on. I don't have time to deal with it right now, but something is broken.
CanadianMike likes this.

Last edited by canadiancow; Jan 13, 2023 at 7:52 pm
Old Jan 13, 2023, 7:55 pm

hey canadiancow - I've been using cowtool since April '21. cowtool has been instrumental in helping me book some pretty sweet J trips that I could have never dreamed before (as a student no less), but more importantly, it's allowed me to fly my parents in business class back transpacific a couple times. I wish I could have joined them on their flights, but there's still no better feeling than seeing photos and hearing from them how much they enjoyed their trips. I'm so grateful for your contributions to this community - cheers!

P.S. you wrote up cowtool in an hour?? that's so amazing!! really makes me think I should pick up some basic programming skills...
Old Jan 14, 2023, 10:30 pm
Original Poster

I have migrated the PNR Viewer to the general cowtool system.

I'm looking for some slightly wider testing than what I've been doing, but the old one will remain up (and the default) for a while.

If people want to use it in the normal course of how they'd use the old one, I'd appreciate any feedback on anything that is broken compared to the old one. Functionality is meant to be identical.

The immediate main benefit is that I've changed the timeout from the AWS-imposed 29 seconds to my own configurable 60 seconds, so larger PNRs (or just in times of slowness) should be fine.

It also ties into cowtool login (but that's not required for this), so I want to be able to allow people to save PNRs into a list for easier access. But that's a future project.
Old Jan 14, 2023, 10:35 pm

Programs: Air Canada 50K - Hilton Diamond - Marriott Platinum
seems to work for me although overall loads slower then before. saving pnr's into a full single page list PNR's would be great so i don't need a tab for each PNR.
Old Jan 14, 2023, 10:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Aselwyn
seems to work for me although overall loads slower then before. saving pnr's into a full single page list PNR's would be great so i don't need a tab for each PNR.
Based on how it's almost identical to the old one (and they share most of the backend), I'm quite confident it's not slower

Once the page is loaded, fetching a PNR should actually be (negligibly) faster since there's a smaller payload.

One of the motivations for doing this today was that things had seemed slower in general in the past few days, which was extremely annoying when combined with the 29s timeout.
Old Jan 14, 2023, 11:04 pm

Programs: AC, SK, AY, Marriott, BW, Avis
Works fine for me with a couple of 6 segment PNRs that often timed out before. Would be nice if it remembered my last name in the search field too. For whatever reason Chrome/Brave/Safari don't seem to remember it there.
Old Jan 14, 2023, 11:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TechnoTourist
Works fine for me with a couple of 6 segment PNRs that often timed out before. Would be nice if it remembered my last name in the search field too. For whatever reason Chrome/Brave/Safari don't seem to remember it there.
If you bookmark it as https://acpnr.cowtool.com/?lastName=Kennedy it should work (it does for me, and that's one of the features I definitely care about)
TechnoTourist likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2023, 11:20 pm

Programs: AC, SK, AY, Marriott, BW, Avis
Originally Posted by canadiancow
If you bookmark it as https://acpnr.cowtool.com/?lastName=Kennedy it should work (it does for me, and that's one of the features I definitely care about)
I usually just type 'pnr' and the browser searches my history but this would be worthy of a bookmark.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 8:01 am

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
I just tried a couple. I thought that you used to get the booking reference for other airlines. Mine did not show up for ET and EK flights. Tried another and it didn't show up for EY. Am I mistaken? If not, is this something that could be added? Great tool though. Thanks for this and the Cowtool.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 9:58 am
wjw

Programs: Air Canada - Super Elite, Marriott Platinum
The immediate main benefit is that I've changed the timeout from the AWS-imposed 29 seconds to my own configurable 60 seconds, so larger PNRs (or just in times of slowness) should be fine.
Thank you! This tool has been an amazing resource for me. The only problem I ever ran into is time outs as many of my PNRs are quite large and a few I could never get to load no matter when I tried it. I hope the longer timeout will solve this for me.

I donít have anything booked right now to try it, but will be booking my winter/spring trips in the next week or so, and am looking forward to trying it out! One of those trips will have a PNR that I anticipate would have challenged the 29 second turnout of the old system so it will be good to see!
Old Jan 15, 2023, 11:48 am

Programs: SE 100K
I have migrated the PNR Viewer to the general cowtool system.

I'm looking for some slightly wider testing than what I've been doing, but the old one will remain up (and the default) for a while.

If people want to use it in the normal course of how they'd use the old one, I'd appreciate any feedback on anything that is broken compared to the old one. Functionality is meant to be identical.

It also ties into cowtool login (but that's not required for this), so I want to be able to allow people to save PNRs into a list for easier access. But that's a future project.
Fantastic, working again on my end no more time out error message. Agree speed seems as before (can take time to load larger PNR's with > 8-10 segments).
The saved PNR list would be a great feature.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by allbrosca
I just tried a couple. I thought that you used to get the booking reference for other airlines. Mine did not show up for ET and EK flights. Tried another and it didn't show up for EY. Am I mistaken? If not, is this something that could be added? Great tool though. Thanks for this and the Cowtool.
Pretty sure I posted about that already, but I can't seem to access them any more, and it makes the assumption that if there's no explicit reference available, then it uses 1A. I guess I should just add a warning above that section for now.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.