Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pilot with AC E50K

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2020, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
Chatted with a fellow SE at YQR a couple months ago who was in a pilot's uniform. He apparently flew a Gulfstream for a dude but ended up having to take so many positioning flights that he got status.
An ex of mine was a corporate pilot and had status across a handful of airlines. She had lived in various parts of the US and would quite often get called back to fill in when her replacement was on vacation/sick/otherwise unavailable. She lives close to home base so wasn't commuting much and generally flew with and stayed with the aircraft wherever they went.

Funnily enough I've never known someone give less of a crap about airline status. She had status on DL and wouldn't even pick Comfort Plus seats even though she had free access as she found a window in Y to be more cozy and would generally just sleep on all flights regardless of length and time of day, being 5'4" helped somewhat I guess. As she put it to me when you fly left seat in Lear 60 everything behind the cockpit door is equally uninteresting.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 7:07 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
If you were flying for yourself would you rather do it in uniform or leggings? If I was a customer, I'd hide my employee status as much as possible.

The reverse is true, I'd also not flag my customer status if j was in uniform, least of all on a competitor. But mentally someone who makes coon controlling a puddle jumper between YHZ and YUL day in day out might not consider flying in the back of a widebody to a family timeshare in Hawaii as a competitive activity.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: M-Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Aeroplan 50K, DragonPass, AMEX MR, NEXUS
Originally Posted by mapleg
Maybe the pilot just does not like being quizzed by random strangers?
I certainly wasn't quizzing him, and I find it bizarre that you would even say that.

It was a lighthearted question, so I don't see the issue here.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RangerNS
If you were flying for yourself would you rather do it in uniform or leggings? If I was a customer, I'd hide my employee status as much as possible.

The reverse is true, I'd also not flag my customer status if j was in uniform, least of all on a competitor. But mentally someone who makes coon controlling a puddle jumper between YHZ and YUL day in day out might not consider flying in the back of a widebody to a family timeshare in Hawaii as a competitive activity.
My thoughts exactly. I was VERY surprised to see it hanging off a bag that had a crew tag right next to the E50K tag.

And in regard to some comments made above, I have also heard that AC staff are not supposed to use the MLL even when flying on a ticket (ie. J class) that would entitle them to it.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 10:11 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by codfather
Earlier this month I was traveling through YHZ, and I saw a pilot for I think Porter or WS with an AC E50K tag hanging from his crew bag. I jokingly asked, "how did you manage to get E50K as a pilot?" given that they have access to flight passes that don't credit to any program.

He seemed rather offended by my question and simply said "I fly a lot" so I didn't bother asking him any further questions. I know technically he could have just been flying a lot on AC when he isn't flying for either of the airlines mentioned above, but it still seemed odd to see a pilot have airline status. marke190 suggested to me that it could have perhaps been gifted, who knows!

Strange sight none the less!
When I live in YXE, one day I ended sitting next to a SunWing pilot on a flight in YXE. There was an entire crew actually coming in. He had status and was deadheading in to operate one of their Mexico flights the next day.

All the Z, jumpseat etc. seats are when airline staff fly for pleasure and is mostly standby.

When the airline is positioning staff to operate a flight it is pre-reserved tickets. Someone who works for AC can probably comment on if AC gives out Aeroplan point to their own staff on space-positive booking. I would guess probably not. However it is space that is booked and paid for by another airline the points are probably fair game, they may not even be able to tell the difference between an another air crews re positioning or a customer being accommodated for a canceled flight.

When a new route starts for the season they need to position a return crew and to do that they need to fly on another airline to do it. Probably far more common with the charter airlines however AC probably books staff onto other airlines from time to time.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 11:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by codfather
My thoughts exactly. I was VERY surprised to see it hanging off a bag that had a crew tag right next to the E50K tag.

And in regard to some comments made above, I have also heard that AC staff are not supposed to use the MLL even when flying on a ticket (ie. J class) that would entitle them to it.
Staff flying on passes, deadheading, etc., are not permitted to use the MLL.

A pilot, out of uniform, in paid J, is absolutely allowed to use the MLL.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 11:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Staff flying on passes, deadheading, etc., are not permitted to use the MLL.

A pilot, out of uniform, in paid J, is absolutely allowed to use the MLL.
I spoke with a Rouge pilot over Christmas who told me that while they could technically access the MLL under that situation (or if they were given a pass), it is very much frowned upon.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 2:14 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 50K, Accor Diamond
I was a non-rev a few years ago with another *A airline and was able to become E50K as I found flying stand by was too stressful and bought most of my tickets with discounts. I credited all my flights to AC.

Also, since April 2017, there is a Star Alliance rule that permit non-revto use lounges if they have Star Gold status. Used it many times.

https://www.staralliance.com/en/lounge-access-policy

See “Other”
Old Feb 2, 2020, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by monsieurcumulus
I was a non-rev a few years ago with another *A airline and was able to become E50K as I found flying stand by was too stressful and bought most of my tickets with discounts. I credited all my flights to AC.

Also, since April 2017, there is a Star Alliance rule that permit non-revto use lounges if they have Star Gold status. Used it many times.

https://www.staralliance.com/en/lounge-access-policy

See “Other”
"Note: Airlines may apply a different policy for their own employees with respect to their eligibility to enter that carrier’s own lounges."
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 2:42 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 50K, Accor Diamond
"Note: Airlines may apply a different policy for their own employees with respect to their eligibility to enter that carrier’s own lounges."
I wasn’t an AC non-rev but I can guarantee you that AC non-rev used this rule as it was an AC employee who showed it to me. Unless AC added a constraint for its own employees flying stand by. Non-rev Confirmed tickets in J or with status still get access.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 2:45 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by C-FMWQ
I’m a commercial pilot (flight instructor) that has status. I got status through doing consulting software work.
Fight instructors are incredibly underpaid. I used to be one myself, but only for fun. The only reason I charged anything as a CFI is that people don't think they're getting quality if they don't pay. The paperwork overhead pretty much made it zero-income.
C-FMWQ likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 3:23 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Elite 35K
FF benefit

Things that I could clarify, for 20% off GO AC family , there is a name assigned to each discount code, so during online purchase flow, the FF box is being blank out which you have no way to add your FF number, however, finishing the online purchase flow and call reservations to append the FF number can be a successful route. I was able to append my FF number to a paid discount booking, all regular FF benefits apply, including lounge access. I chatted with a AC airport agent last week, that they barely read PNR at the airport, and if they don't read PNR, they do not even know this is a 20% off booking. Lastly, same as other confirmed booking, was able to E-up from flex to business using credits. Boarding passes shows AC status on both AC family carriers and OAL.

Originally Posted by YEG USER
Depends. There are different types of employee travel. This forum isn’t the place to discuss the details of employee benefits, so won’t get into those. At a high level, my understanding is that they can’t use FFP benefits in most cases, but I think there may be a few exceptions where discount codes are used.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by terencelai
Things that I could clarify, for 20% off GO AC family , there is a name assigned to each discount code, so during online purchase flow, the FF box is being blank out which you have no way to add your FF number, however, finishing the online purchase flow and call reservations to append the FF number can be a successful route. I was able to append my FF number to a paid discount booking, all regular FF benefits apply, including lounge access. I chatted with a AC airport agent last week, that they barely read PNR at the airport, and if they don't read PNR, they do not even know this is a 20% off booking. Lastly, same as other confirmed booking, was able to E-up from flex to business using credits. Boarding passes shows AC status on both AC family carriers and OAL.
Did you earn AQM?

I turned down a few of the 20% codes in favor of the no-restriction 10% codes last year because I was told there'd be no mileage accumulation.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 1:11 pm

Programs: AC E50K
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Fight instructors are incredibly underpaid. I used to be one myself, but only for fun. The only reason I charged anything as a CFI is that people don't think they're getting quality if they don't pay. The paperwork overhead pretty much made it zero-income.
You figured out why I do consulting work .

I really wish it paid more, and too often I hear from people saying they'd instruct for life if it paid a livable wage, but unfortunately that's the reality of the industry right now in Canada.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by terencelai
Did you earn AQM?

I turned down a few of the 20% codes in favor of the no-restriction 10% codes last year because I was told there'd be no mileage accumulation.
I'd be very interested to know this too. I now have a family member who works for AC. I could have used the 20% off discount, but saw in the T&C that there would be no mileage accumulation, so instead opted for the AMEX 15% discount. The description for the 20% discount stated that this type of ticket was considered a revenue ticket, and to be treated accordingly (just no FFP accumulation). I assume lounge passes or other benefits could have been used at the airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.