Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

PSA: Unrealistic wait times for Aeroplan phone booking

Old Jan 25, 20, 4:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Asiana

Some years ago I booked a flight partially paid with some Aeroplan miles and the rest in cash. I did that over the phone with an Aeroplan agent. There was $30 for phone booking but I didn't mind that since agents were able to offer some options that were not available online. I recall the process was smooth and the agent was friendly and knowledgeable.

Fast forward to January 2020.I phoned Aeroplan trying to do the same (1-800-361-5373) but I was kept on hold waiting for anyone to answer for 1 hour and 6 minutes after which I gave up and just terminated the call. How do those incompetent losers expect to get any business!!

Also, their online booking system is now limited to certain destinations only (I'm flying YYC-CAI, which is not available to book online).

I guess I will cash out my Aeroplan point with some of their lackluster gift cars online and then bye bye Aeroplan. I will not tolerate their stupidity and I'll take my business elsewhere!
Old Jan 25, 20, 4:53 pm

The call-back option works really well. Was that offered to you, and did you use it?

The general consensus around here is that its usually not worth paying extra cash out of pocket for AP points, but if they are given to you incidentally, that the best value is to redeem them for flight rewards, rather than for toasters. They may not be of the same value they used to be though, but there are certainly some situations where excellent value can be derived.
Dolphin2 likes this.
Old Jan 25, 20, 4:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pitz View Post
The call-back option works really well. Was that offered to you, and did you use it?.
No call back option was listed or offered. All they said was the same standard bs you hear on phone systems "We're experiencing an unusual call volume, please remain on the line" yada yada...
Old Jan 25, 20, 5:09 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AC E35, WS Gold, UA Silver, KF Silver, Ex AB Plat (OWE)
Originally Posted by cancruiser View Post

Fast forward to January 2020.I phoned Aeroplan trying to do the same (1-800-361-5373) but I was kept on hold waiting for anyone to answer for 1 hour and 6 minutes after which I gave up and just terminated the call. How do those incompetent losers expect to get any business!!

Also, their online booking system is now limited to certain destinations only (I'm flying YYC-CAI, which is not available to book online).

!
The AE phone timings are insanely high thanks to Amadeus rollout and its getting better day by day as we speak. If you know any SE / AE diamond - you can ask them to patch you through as they get expedited response time - calls getting connected anyway between 2 minutes - 15-20 minutes as of now. Priority of SE > AE diamond FWIW.

Regarding online booking system limited to certain destinations - I am sure that is wrong.

What you may have experienced is the agent saying that, they are unable to stitch together the segments . HUCA and get another agent. Yes its frustrating but thats how it is.

Follow some tips in this thread , especially in last few pages & you will be able to get it done.

I can confirm that stitched itineraries are possible but involves a lot of HUCA.
Old Jan 25, 20, 6:01 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Thanks for pointing this out. Hopefully this new information will help people be more informed and plan a few extra minutes when calling.
Old Jan 25, 20, 6:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jugaadkabaap View Post
Regarding online booking system limited to certain destinations - I am sure that is wrong.
What you may have experienced is the agent saying that, they are unable to stitch together the segments . HUCA and get another agent. Yes its frustrating but thats how it is.
Follow some tips in this thread , especially in last few pages & you will be able to get it done.
I can confirm that stitched itineraries are possible but involves a lot of HUCA.
Thanks for the reply. But the system IS limited to certain destinations flown only by AC. See below
Aeroplan seem to have evolved into a mass scam. Too bad, there was a time when they were actually useful!
Old Jan 25, 20, 6:50 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AC E35, WS Gold, UA Silver, KF Silver, Ex AB Plat (OWE)
Thanks for the reply. But the system IS limited to certain destinations flown only by AC. See below
Aeroplan seem to have evolved into a mass scam. Too bad, there was a time when they were actually useful!
Well, its not an Aeroplan mistake.

You are selecting marketfare redemption. Marketfare redemptions are ONLY allowed on AC metal and AC does not fly to cairo.

Please change to Fixed Points redemption (the tab to the left)

I don't know your dates so i selected a random date & from your 135K (PY) i assumed you are flying economy.

See below for fixed mile redemption

pitz likes this.

Last edited by jugaadkabaap; Jan 25, 20 at 6:56 pm
Old Jan 25, 20, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's only for "market fare rewards." Regular ones ("fixed mileage") are not restricted to AC only.
jugaadkabaap likes this.
Old Jan 25, 20, 6:53 pm

Programs: AC
If you read the text in the box you'll notice it says Market Fare Flight Rewards are only offered on Air Canada operated flights. Air Canada doesn't fly to CAI so you can't get a market fare flight reward. If you look at the tab at the top you can select the first tab - Fixed Mileage Flight Rewards - and book a flight on that tab starting at 135,000 miles as it says.
jugaadkabaap likes this.
Old Jan 25, 20, 7:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
That's only for "market fare rewards." Regular ones ("fixed mileage") are not restricted to AC only.
I understand that, but my miles are not enough to book the fixed mileage fare.
Last time I booked some years ago, it was the same situation but I used up my miles and paid the difference as I wrote in my OP. It was not a problem then.
Old Jan 25, 20, 7:04 pm

Last time I booked some years ago, it was the same situation but I used up my miles and paid the difference as I wrote in my OP. It was not a problem then.
I am afraid, you cannot do market fare redemption to this route & even if it was allowed - the required miles will be higher than fixed miles as that route is not usually deep discounted (over all a bad deal)

How much miles do you have (if i may ask)?
Old Jan 25, 20, 7:15 pm

You can generally buy miles on the fixed mileage fare screen, once you select your flights the price it gives generally includes any deficit in points. At least it still did this for me in the last couple of weeks.
Old Jan 26, 20, 10:59 am

In most cases, for most destinations, market rewards need more miles than fixed rewards, not less.
Old Jan 26, 20, 11:18 am

Programs: AC E50K, Accor , ANA, Avios
Originally Posted by cancruiser;31994324.

Fast forward to January 2020.I phoned Aeroplan trying to do the same (1-800-361-5373) but I was kept on hold waiting for anyone to answer for [b
1 hour and 6 minutes [/b] after which I gave up and just terminated the call. How do those incompetent losers expect to get any business!!
They don't care anymore. It's not like they make a profit when you redeem a flight. They made their profit when you earned your points.
rankourabu likes this.
Old Jan 27, 20, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC S100K 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite

At this time, I'd say the 1h6m wait is actually not bad compared to others here.

Oh wait - you gave up! I'd do the same.
(but yeah, in all seriousness, the wait times continue to be brutal)
Transpacificflyer likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: