Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Master thread COVID-19/Coronavirus; travel waivers, route changes, AC impacts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2020, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
Key points of AC COVID change/cancellation policy [as of December 10, 2021]:
(see this page under "Changes and cancellations")

Unlimited changes. No change fees. – Until December 31, 2021, if you want to change your flight, we'll waive the change fee. After December 31, 2021, you can make one change at no extra charge. If your new fare has a higher price, you only need to pay the difference from your original fare.

If Air Canada changes the time of your flight, you make a change for free.*
*Within 3 days for North American destinations and 7 days for international and sun destinations.

If your flight is cancelled, you get a refund – If your flight is cancelled for any reason and we don’t rebook you on another flight that departs or arrives within three hours of your original departure or arrival time, or if we add a connection to your itinerary, you can request a refund.

Need to cancel? Save the value for future travel – If you need to cancel a booking, the full value can be transferred to an Air Canada Travel Voucher, which never expires and is fully transferrable, or converted into Aeroplan points with a 65% bonus. Refundable tickets are always refundable.

Flexibility with Aeroplan bookings – Until December 31, 2021, if you want to change your Aeroplan flight reward, we'll waive all change fees. After December 31, 2021, you can still make one change without a fee.
Print Wikipost

Master thread COVID-19/Coronavirus; travel waivers, route changes, AC impacts

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2020, 4:27 pm

Programs: AC 75K
There are a number of route suspensions/postponements here: https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...na-travel.html
Old Mar 14, 2020, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ChrisA330
There are a number of route suspensions/postponements here: https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...na-travel.html
That's four days old though. No Spain there.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 5:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Stranger
Spain only happened today.

The page is dated March 13

Old Mar 14, 2020, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Alberta now posts the list of flights where potential contamination might have occurred:

https://www.alberta.ca/assets/docume...nformation.pdf

Of note, AC845, the FRA-YYC flight on March 2, *all seats.* While all other flights only identify a few rows. A bit scary BTW since we took the same flight coming back the previous day...
Old Mar 14, 2020, 6:47 pm

I have a question that I'm hoping someone can answer as I cannot get through to AC over the phone. I have a trip to Asia booked in April and Air Canada is waiving change fees for flights booked before March 4 or allowing cancellations on the booking and giving a credit paid against future travel as long as the travel is completed by December 31, 2020. My question is related to when I try to cancel my booking. I see the option "Select the first option to save the entire fare paid amount as a credit for future travel (a change fee may apply at time of re-booking)". Does the comment in the brackets mean that I could potentially be charged a re-booking fee when it comes time for me to use my credit? Am I safe to assume that as long as I use my credit before Dec 31, 2020 then they will not charge me a fee?
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old Mar 14, 2020, 8:48 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by Stranger
It's updated regularly. Spain is listed.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 9:05 pm
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Originally Posted by roadracer
The GoC now states to avoid all non-essential travel outside of the country (Level 3):

https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/heal...th-notices/221

If you take a flight out of the country, I guess you should check your travel insurance for a related exclusion.

Is AC compelled to give refunds for upcoming flights in this case?
Technically what cancellation insurance is for (so no) but if/when they start cancelling flights (which is a strong possibility) then they would have to refund you. Next few days will tell, i am in the same boat with an april 1st departure and waiting to see what will happen.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 9:18 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
On Friday the Government of Canada said at a press conference that Canadians should avoid non-essential travel outside of Canada. Today, Global Affairs Canada made it an official travel advisory that basically says "don't go anywhere".

https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/advisories

Foreign Affairs Minister FP Champagne is even more blunt :

OFFICIAL ADVICE TO CANADIANS ABROAD:

We recommend that Canadian travellers return to Canada via commercial means while they remain available.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 11:40 pm

Programs: SPG Plat., AC Alt. E50+, AP DD; BA Gold, OW Emerald
Question Air Canada Reduced Schedule? India?

Hi All,

Is AC planning on reducing direct flights from India at this point due to COVID 19? We are working in India and are trying to gauge when to get on a flight back. With the US closures to Europe options are becoming drastically reduced.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 11:48 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Originally Posted by pkdi
Hi All,

Is AC planning on reducing direct flights from India at this point due to COVID 19? We are working in India and are trying to gauge when to get on a flight back. With the US closures to Europe options are becoming drastically reduced.

The Canadian Government has said Canadians abroad should get home ASAP, I would suggest following that.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 12:52 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Given the travel ban that came into force yesterday on nearly all foreigners (including OCIs) entering India, it's only a matter of time before flights are curtailed or suspended entirely. Get home while you can.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 5:04 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
AC coronavirus cancellation policy?

It is notoriously (IMO) difficult to reach AC Reservations. I am curious what (f any) enhancements AC has made to its cancellation policies?
I know what UA & LH have as policy. But the robocall recitation of the AC policy sounds very familiar i.e.
- refund balance (minimal) on a cc;
- balance to be used by December 31, 2020.
What am I missing? Has AC enhanced its cancellation policy? IMO, no. Discuss!
Old Mar 15, 2020, 5:13 am

Originally Posted by pkdi
Hi All,

As Sean Peever & eigenvector mentions, try and get back to Canada at earliest opportunity before direct flights get cancelled. Three options:

BOM-YYZ AC47 nonstop Mon, Tue, Thu & Sat. Since this is seasonal, last flight scheduled to depart BOM Mar 28
DEL-YYZ AC43 nonstop daily
DEL-YVR AC45 nonstop daily

Safe travels
Old Mar 15, 2020, 6:20 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott
@lawn

I have a question that I'm hoping someone can answer as I cannot get through to AC over the phone. I have a trip to Asia booked in April and Air Canada is waiving change fees for flights booked before March 4 or allowing cancellations on the booking and giving a credit paid against future travel as long as the travel is completed by December 31, 2020. My question is related to when I try to cancel my booking. I see the option "Select the first option to save the entire fare paid amount as a credit for future travel (a change fee may apply at time of re-booking)". Does the comment in the brackets mean that I could potentially be charged a re-booking fee when it comes time for me to use my credit? Am I safe to assume that as long as I use my credit before Dec 31, 2020 then they will not charge me a fee?
Any help would be appreciated.
I would wait another up to another week. When I was trying to figure out how to cancel my flight to PVG (before my travel date was included in the waiver), they were only offering rebooking. As the date got closer, I was able to cancel for a full refund. Just be a bit patient and check the AC website every day for updates.

Last edited by tcook052; Mar 15, 2020 at 7:11 am Reason: added quote
Old Mar 15, 2020, 8:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Something just happened to 739/754.

My Easter trip (which, upon examination, I booked for Sunday instead of Monday return) just got stupid.

Looks like 739 and 754 are reduced until the 11th, and then completely gone.

I also like how they cancelled 739 @ 1955, and moved me to the 1200 departure instead of the 1800 departure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.