Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Master thread COVID-19/Coronavirus; travel waivers, route changes, AC impacts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2020, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
Key points of AC COVID change/cancellation policy [as of December 10, 2021]:
(see this page under "Changes and cancellations")

Unlimited changes. No change fees. – Until December 31, 2021, if you want to change your flight, we'll waive the change fee. After December 31, 2021, you can make one change at no extra charge. If your new fare has a higher price, you only need to pay the difference from your original fare.

If Air Canada changes the time of your flight, you make a change for free.*
*Within 3 days for North American destinations and 7 days for international and sun destinations.

If your flight is cancelled, you get a refund – If your flight is cancelled for any reason and we don’t rebook you on another flight that departs or arrives within three hours of your original departure or arrival time, or if we add a connection to your itinerary, you can request a refund.

Need to cancel? Save the value for future travel – If you need to cancel a booking, the full value can be transferred to an Air Canada Travel Voucher, which never expires and is fully transferrable, or converted into Aeroplan points with a 65% bonus. Refundable tickets are always refundable.

Flexibility with Aeroplan bookings – Until December 31, 2021, if you want to change your Aeroplan flight reward, we'll waive all change fees. After December 31, 2021, you can still make one change without a fee.
Print Wikipost

Master thread COVID-19/Coronavirus; travel waivers, route changes, AC impacts

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2020, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by 24left
Changing by the minute.....
U.S. announced tonight that all travel from Europe to the United States will be suspended for the next 30 days, except for the UK.
AC carries a lot of people between Europe and the U.S. via the hubs. Will they be exempt or require additional screening or have to stay where they are if they can't fly after the deadline?
From the horse's mouth, US DHS Statement
Old Mar 11, 2020, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Finally. I might actually book something now.
The problem is I'm losing confidence that the majority of my 2020 travel plans are viable. How can I book when I might not get the flights or the $ back before year end?
Old Mar 11, 2020, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by Nitehawk
I wonder if i can get them to pause my unlimited flight pass...
I’ve got a family trip booked to PHX at Easter using the Southwest flight pass. I extended it by 3 months and Easter is at the end of the revised validity period.

My wife is getting super paranoid about going, and the way things are going I wouldn’t be surprised if the US simply closed their borders.

I wonder if there is any way to get the pass further extended.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 9:26 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
If anyone was in contact with a positive test, it is just right that they self-quarantine (if required is not debatable) .
I agree but I suspect they may not issue a blanket quarantine to all pax that went thru security - maybe depends on the time, screener, etc. My company chose to be proactive.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by vernonc
I agree but I suspect they may not issue a blanket quarantine to all pax that went thru security - maybe depends on the time, screener, etc. My company chose to be proactive.
Great company and a smart employee to act on it.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 3:46 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
AC829 LYS-YUL has 6 pax in J right now. I moved from 2A to 2K and have the entire GK side to myself. Maybe once we get up to cruising altitude, I can build a fort with all these pillows and stuff
Old Mar 12, 2020, 4:06 am

Programs: AC*SE 100K
AC038 MEL to YVR had a nearly full J cabin today. Australian travel doesn't seem affected, yet.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
I havent been following AC waivers, I have a question about Aeroplan bookings.

For April travel to Europe - refund possible? change only? if so, within 21 days ok I assume?
Old Mar 12, 2020, 6:55 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium Elite, AC 25K
Originally Posted by rankourabu
I havent been following AC waivers, I have a question about Aeroplan bookings.

For April travel to Europe - refund possible? change only? if so, within 21 days ok I assume?
Right now still charging for cancellations. Anyone experience anything different?
Old Mar 12, 2020, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by airswim
Right now still charging for cancellations. Anyone experience anything different?
I guess one is allowed to cancel within 21 days tho with just one cancel fee?
Old Mar 12, 2020, 8:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by rankourabu
I guess one is allowed to cancel within 21 days tho with just one cancel fee?
Yes, but I expect the fee to go away.

I had an agent accidentally:
1. Book my cousin on LH MUC-SFO without charging any YQ
2. Create a one stop, one destination, one open-jaw booking

all because I mentioned the US border issues.

So they can definitely do things if you can justify it (like "the US is not allowing people to enter from Europe").
Old Mar 12, 2020, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They have added a message from Calin rovinescu on aircanada.com:

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...rom-calin.html
Old Mar 12, 2020, 9:05 am

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold
Originally Posted by 24left
Changing by the minute.....
U.S. announced tonight that all travel from Europe to the United States will be suspended for the next 30 days, except for the UK.
AC carries a lot of people between Europe and the U.S. via the hubs. Will they be exempt or require additional screening or have to stay where they are if they can't fly after the deadline?
Two questions here:
1. When does the travel ban take effect? It says Friday midnight but does that mean Thursday to Friday or Friday to Saturday.
2. I am in Vancouver travelling on a European passport and scheduled to fly to LA on Friday. Do you guys think they will let me fly? (for clarification: I am in Vancouver since February 2nd but was in Frankfurt for 2 days last week and returned to YVR on Friday)
Old Mar 12, 2020, 9:09 am

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold
Originally Posted by totti
Two questions here:
1. When does the travel ban take effect? It says Friday midnight but does that mean Thursday to Friday or Friday to Saturday.
2. I am in Vancouver travelling on a European passport and scheduled to fly to LA on Friday. Do you guys think they will let me fly? (for clarification: I am in Vancouver since February 2nd but was in Frankfurt for 2 days last week and returned to YVR on Friday)
Found the answer to 1.:
This proclamation is effective at 11:59 p.m. eastern daylight time on March 13, 2020.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 9:34 am

Programs: AC SE*MM
Originally Posted by totti
My understanding is that all foreign nationals who have been in the Schengen area in the last 14 days will not be permitted entry.

This is going to be a nightmare for AC to enforce. When I was flying back from Asia in February they were checking US passsport holders to make sure they were not in China. Now AC needs to check any non-US passport holder to make sure they were not in the Schengen area in 14 days or they will be denied entry by US CPB. With preclearance in Canadian airports whomever they miss won't have to be flown home, but the EU-YYZ/YUL/YVR-US connections are going to be a huge logistical nightmare to verify.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.