Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Master thread COVID-19/Coronavirus; travel waivers, route changes, AC impacts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2020, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
Key points of AC COVID change/cancellation policy [as of December 10, 2021]:
(see this page under "Changes and cancellations")

Unlimited changes. No change fees. – Until December 31, 2021, if you want to change your flight, we'll waive the change fee. After December 31, 2021, you can make one change at no extra charge. If your new fare has a higher price, you only need to pay the difference from your original fare.

If Air Canada changes the time of your flight, you make a change for free.*
*Within 3 days for North American destinations and 7 days for international and sun destinations.

If your flight is cancelled, you get a refund – If your flight is cancelled for any reason and we don’t rebook you on another flight that departs or arrives within three hours of your original departure or arrival time, or if we add a connection to your itinerary, you can request a refund.

Need to cancel? Save the value for future travel – If you need to cancel a booking, the full value can be transferred to an Air Canada Travel Voucher, which never expires and is fully transferrable, or converted into Aeroplan points with a 65% bonus. Refundable tickets are always refundable.

Flexibility with Aeroplan bookings – Until December 31, 2021, if you want to change your Aeroplan flight reward, we'll waive all change fees. After December 31, 2021, you can still make one change without a fee.
Print Wikipost

Master thread COVID-19/Coronavirus; travel waivers, route changes, AC impacts

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2020, 10:20 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by WorkLessTravelMore
Can you tell me more about this? I have a flight to Rome in July and would love a refund. (We were supposed to get on a cruise) Any hope?
You can find their policy here: https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...han-china.html

It currently only extends as far as March 31.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by Bohemian1
July is a long way out and I doubt you'll get much relief until closer to the date. Your best indicator of what might happen would be what your cruise line ends up doing.

As an aside, places like BC are on the cusp of deciding (in conjunction with Transport Canada) on whether to ban cruise ship docking for an unspecified period of time. I suspect other countries may be doing the same.

Is your airfare part of the cruise package or did you purchase it separately?
I booked the airfare separately from the cruise. Had not made final payment on the cruise yet (due today!) so decided to cancel it so I wouldn't risk any more cash out of pocket. Didn't want to get a future cruise credit on this particular cruise line. I purchased my airfare back in October, so if I only have a year from booking to use it that will be tough due to my children's schedules. I'm prepared to lose it (US$4,800) but hoping for the best. I have travel insurance but any scenario where that will kick in is unlikely I think.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 10:29 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by WorkLessTravelMore
I booked the airfare separately from the cruise. Had not made final payment on the cruise yet (due today!) so decided to cancel it so I wouldn't risk any more cash out of pocket. Didn't want to get a future cruise credit on this particular cruise line. I purchased my airfare back in October, so if I only have a year from booking to use it that will be tough due to my children's schedules. I'm prepared to lose it (US$4,800) but hoping for the best. I have travel insurance but any scenario where that will kick in is unlikely I think.
Just wait it out. Best case scenario, they cancel the flight or offer you a waiver and you can get a refund. Or you could just go take a vacation to Italy if things are better. Doing nothing, at least for now, is definitely the optimal strategy.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 12:12 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
So.. just about 4.5 weeks until my trip.
Japan is putting anyone coming from South Korea is a 14 day quarantine (https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...orea-and-japan - there might be an official source for this; not sure..)
Australia is banning anyone from entering the country if they've been in South Korea (even a layover) within 14 days (https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/news-...el-coronavirus)

Both of these affect my itinerary (Aeroplan mini rtw: YYZ-LAX-ICN-NRT-BKK-SIN-PER-SIN-BKK-IST-TXL-ZRH-YUL-YYZ)

Earlier, some have counselled taking a "wait and see" approach. I'm worried that since this is an Aeroplan ticket.. waiting could effectively mean my trip is cancelled if there isn't award availability to get me to where I need to go.

Has anyone had any luck getting Aeroplan to waive the normal rule of completing all travel within 1 year of the booking date (I believe that's the rule, correct me if I'm wrong..)? I booked this two stopover mini RTW on the last day before Aeroplan's policy change..
I think my ideal scenario (well, ideal given the circumstances.. which are far from ideal) would be to postpone the entire thing until the same time next year. But, if I cancel.. I won't be able to re-book this itinerary.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 12:32 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM
Air Canada just cancelled some flights to FCO. 03/14, 03/16 and their return legs now show cancelled.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 1:10 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by yowcat
Air Canada just cancelled some flights to FCO. 03/14, 03/16 and their return legs now show cancelled.
All AC's Italy service is cancelled until May 1, which makes sense, as all internal travel within the country is severely limited.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
All AC's Italy service is cancelled until May 1, which makes sense, as all internal travel within the country is severely limited.
Still, tough for Canadians stuck in Italy.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 1:43 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Agree this move makes sense. But odd that it's until May 1 whereas rebooking other flights is fee-free only until March 31.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 1:51 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Anyone have experience with using the waiver when a ticket is already partly used (revenue ticket)? I have YYC-FCO round trip and am currently in Europe, with the return in April. What happens if I request a refund of the unflown segments, will they pro-rate what I paid vs what I've flown, or would that trigger recalculation as a one-way fare and therefore not actually generate a refund?

Or has anyone tried to re-book to an alternate destination. For instance, changing FCO to AMS in this case?

That isn't illogical, but what's your source on that? YYZ-FCO is still on sale for April (even for March 26th), and the waiver was just updated today to include all of Italy, but only with original travel dates up to March 31.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 2:20 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Anyone have experience with using the waiver when a ticket is already partly used (revenue ticket)? I have YYC-FCO round trip and am currently in Europe, with the return in April. What happens if I request a refund of the unflown segments, will they pro-rate what I paid vs what I've flown, or would that trigger recalculation as a one-way fare and therefore not actually generate a refund?

Or has anyone tried to re-book to an alternate destination. For instance, changing FCO to AMS in this case?
They would use their rating system to value the remaining coupon(s) (/segments) and offer you a refund for that without penalty. If you change routing(s) they won't charge you a change fee it looks like but you'd have to pay the fare difference which means you may not get access to advance purchase discounts.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They would use their rating system to value the remaining coupon(s) (/segments) and offer you a refund for that without penalty. If you change routing(s) they won't charge you a change fee it looks like but you'd have to pay the fare difference which means you may not get access to advance purchase discounts.
However the fare difference might be based not on current but historical prices.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 2:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
.....YYZ-FCO is still on sale for April (even for March 26th), and the waiver was just updated today to include all of Italy, but only with original travel dates up to March 31.
@Adam Smith

QUOTE:

"Air Canada is suspending flights to and from Italy, saying the decision was prompted by Italian regulations and “ongoing health and safety concerns” related to the outbreak of a novel coronavirus.

The airline’s last flight to Rome is scheduled to take off from Toronto Tuesday, with the final return flight departing Rome for Montreal on Wednesday.

Air Canada says it to restart service May 1. Meanwhile, it says affected customers will be notified and offered full refunds."

https://globalnews.ca/news/6656600/a...y-coronavirus/

Posted March 10, 2020 3:11 pm
Updated March 10, 2020 3:33 pm

Old Mar 10, 2020, 2:52 pm

That would really kill the whole concept. Being only a couple weeks out from the return, fares are definitely much higher than when I booked this a couple of months ago.

I'll phone in and see what they actually say when the situation becomes a bit clearer. Right now, I don't really want to even try to commit to something different (e.g. AMS) given how fast this is moving.

Originally Posted by Stranger
However the fare difference might be based not on current but historical prices.
Well, if that's case, fare difference should be roughly 0, so I'd be happy to pay it

Originally Posted by 24left
"Air Canada is suspending flights to and from Italy, saying the decision was prompted by Italian regulations and “ongoing health and safety concerns” related to the outbreak of a novel coronavirus.

[...]

Air Canada says it to restart service May 1. Meanwhile, it says affected customers will be notified and offered full refunds."
Thanks

What a hilarious level of inconsistency at AC though. They've managed to put out a statement to the media about this, but nothing appears on the website. Meanwhile, RM is still selling flights to FCO for March 26th and through April. Lastly, whoever decides the travel waivers doesn't seem to be on the same page as whoever schedules the flights - Italy is fine after March 31 if I booked something like YYC-FRA-FCO, but not if I'm flying AC from YYZ-YUL.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 24left
[MENTION=759220]

Key word here: "offered."

Which does not mean one has to accept it, and they remain obliged to accommodate on a different route, somehow.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 4:24 pm

Just booked a nice round trip to Rome April 3-8. Might book a couple more just for laughs

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.