Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Master thread COVID-19/Coronavirus; travel waivers, route changes, AC impacts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2020, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
Key points of AC COVID change/cancellation policy [as of December 10, 2021]:
(see this page under "Changes and cancellations")

Unlimited changes. No change fees. – Until December 31, 2021, if you want to change your flight, we'll waive the change fee. After December 31, 2021, you can make one change at no extra charge. If your new fare has a higher price, you only need to pay the difference from your original fare.

If Air Canada changes the time of your flight, you make a change for free.*
*Within 3 days for North American destinations and 7 days for international and sun destinations.

If your flight is cancelled, you get a refund – If your flight is cancelled for any reason and we don’t rebook you on another flight that departs or arrives within three hours of your original departure or arrival time, or if we add a connection to your itinerary, you can request a refund.

Need to cancel? Save the value for future travel – If you need to cancel a booking, the full value can be transferred to an Air Canada Travel Voucher, which never expires and is fully transferrable, or converted into Aeroplan points with a 65% bonus. Refundable tickets are always refundable.

Flexibility with Aeroplan bookings – Until December 31, 2021, if you want to change your Aeroplan flight reward, we'll waive all change fees. After December 31, 2021, you can still make one change without a fee.
Print Wikipost

Master thread COVID-19/Coronavirus; travel waivers, route changes, AC impacts

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2020, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by bawm
So far it's only on AC2U, Air Canada's portal for travel agencies and other industry partners. I don't see it on the consumer website either.
Globe and Mail just reported AC is waiving fees and stuff for Northern Italy

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/amp/...mpression=true
Old Feb 24, 2020, 3:43 pm

Programs: Sardine Class
Originally Posted by global happy traveller
Globe and Mail just reported AC is waiving fees and stuff for Northern Italy

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/amp/...mpression=true
Interesting AC only waived for travel until March 2. This might be to alleviate the stress on call centres, since some have suggested cancellation of flight to ICN too.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 9:52 pm

Asked about Travel to China when Flying AC to Japan

Upon checking in for an AC flight to Japan from Canada, I was asked whether I had travelled to China within the last 14 days. Does anyone know why? At the time, Japan had no such restriction (only the US did).
Old Feb 24, 2020, 9:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Nagoya172
Does anyone know why?
Have you been ignoring the news? Pretty much every country has coronavirus restrictions and will for the foreseeable future. (14 days is the presumed incubation period.)
Old Feb 24, 2020, 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Have you been ignoring the news? Pretty much every country has coronavirus restrictions and will for the foreseeable future. (14 days is the presumed incubation period.)
Umm, no. At the time that I did what I said I did, that was NOT the case.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 10:07 pm

AFAIK Canada has no restrictions, but when I landed in Canada from the US last week the CBSA kiosk asked me if I’d been to China. IMHO it isn’t unreasonable for AC to ask the question as other countries probably want to know, despite restrictions not being in place.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 10:32 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Italy moved up to Level 2 by CDC. I wonder whether AC will expand the waiver to any other destinations in Italy. I'm supposed to fly to FCO next week, so I'm certainly watching closely.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 11:34 pm
m.y

Programs: AC 75k, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Italy moved up to Level 2 by CDC. I wonder whether AC will expand the waiver to any other destinations in Italy. I'm supposed to fly to FCO next week, so I'm certainly watching closely.
Same here, I canceled my Feb trip to China and booked another trip to Italy in March
Old Feb 24, 2020, 11:53 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
The situation is changing quickly enough that it was probably easier to implement across the board rather than to rush a quick update when another country (or airline for that matter) chooses to impose a restriction.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 12:15 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Hello from HKG

Yes, we had 340 empty seats and 60 pax onboard AC 15. Some of the FAs and 1 SD wore masks the entire flight. We land here and the 8 other pax in J put masks on. None of these masks will protect them, but I understand their fear.

it was a surreal experience and I took cabin photos. No one in mini-J of course, no one in PE, and I walked to the back like last week (when there were only 200 empty seats) and at least those who wanted to sleep benefited from som Y lie-flats.

Onboard crew were wondering when/if ICN would be suspended and mostly, when all of this will pass.

The row after row of parked aircraft along with the almost deserted terminal is really quite sad.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 12:29 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Marriot, Hilton, IHG, P25K
Originally Posted by m.y
Same here, I canceled my Feb trip to China and booked another trip to Italy in March

Booked to fly to Vienna next week staying about 50 km from northern Italy border.

Watching events a bit nervously
Old Feb 25, 2020, 1:06 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by YEG USER
AFAIK Canada has no restrictions, but when I landed in Canada from the US last week the CBSA kiosk asked me if I’d been to China. IMHO it isn’t unreasonable for AC to ask the question as other countries probably want to know, despite restrictions not being in place.
In my case it was two weeks ago and the questions was a bit more specific, asked about Hubei but not all of China.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 1:41 am

Programs: SK*G, QR*G
Originally Posted by nick5000
Flew outbound PVG YVR before the return to PVG was canceled. Then they automatically rebooked the return to PVG through ICN. I didn't get on the flight, had tried to call but couldn't get through. Filled in the online refund request and received today pdf stating I'll get refunded the whole amount paid, even though I did fly the outbound.

Is this a glitch? Anyway will wait and see how much actually gets refunded.
We did receive the full refund from this ticket, aften having used the outbund leg.

Great service from AC.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 5:29 am

Programs: AC SE*MM
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Same, I'm going to LHR and then FCO. My meeting in MXP was already cancelled next week, wondering what will happen to the meetings in FCO.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 6:35 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM
Has anyone done the research on which Credit Cards may cover refunds and under what conditions for something like this? I have a flight to FCO as well that I can no longer use because meetings are cancelled but so far no waiver that I can use.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.