Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Master thread COVID-19/Coronavirus; travel waivers, route changes, AC impacts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2020, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
Key points of AC COVID change/cancellation policy [as of December 10, 2021]:
(see this page under "Changes and cancellations")

Unlimited changes. No change fees. – Until December 31, 2021, if you want to change your flight, we'll waive the change fee. After December 31, 2021, you can make one change at no extra charge. If your new fare has a higher price, you only need to pay the difference from your original fare.

If Air Canada changes the time of your flight, you make a change for free.*
*Within 3 days for North American destinations and 7 days for international and sun destinations.

If your flight is cancelled, you get a refund – If your flight is cancelled for any reason and we don’t rebook you on another flight that departs or arrives within three hours of your original departure or arrival time, or if we add a connection to your itinerary, you can request a refund.

Need to cancel? Save the value for future travel – If you need to cancel a booking, the full value can be transferred to an Air Canada Travel Voucher, which never expires and is fully transferrable, or converted into Aeroplan points with a 65% bonus. Refundable tickets are always refundable.

Flexibility with Aeroplan bookings – Until December 31, 2021, if you want to change your Aeroplan flight reward, we'll waive all change fees. After December 31, 2021, you can still make one change without a fee.
Print Wikipost

Master thread COVID-19/Coronavirus; travel waivers, route changes, AC impacts

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2020, 9:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Until the government announces an extension of the quarantine requirements, I don't see AC being too proactive with canceling.

Give it a few weeks and I'm sure it will disappear.
Old Sep 12, 2020, 9:36 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by Legend717
Does anyone have any guidance on AC resuming service on the DEN-YYZ route soon?
I need to go to Toronto for training (essential infrastructure, whether I like it or not), and DEN-YYZ would be the ideal option.
But I see that their website is going from zero flights a day on the last day of September, to TWO flights a day Oct 1. That seems... unlikely.
Any thoughts?
AC hasn't updated their transborder schedule yet for October, so I'd expect most of the transborder schedules to be similar to September given that there hasn't been any movement on relaxing the border or quarantine requirements. Based on timing of the last updates, I'd expect AC to publish the October schedule updates by the middle of this week.

UA published their October schedule updates and DEN-YYZ has been cut for October. UA is operating a DEN-YYC as a potential one-stop option if there aren't any direct DEN-YYZ flights.

Either way I'd suggest waiting until AC publishes the October transborder schedule, hopefully this week.
Old Sep 12, 2020, 10:07 am

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
News about extending (or not) current US border closure should also be out soon. That will have an impact as noted above.
Old Sep 12, 2020, 10:12 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Until the government announces an extension of the quarantine requirements, I don't see AC being too proactive with canceling.
Yeah, until then, might as well keep swindling people out of their money.
Old Sep 12, 2020, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Yeah, until then, might as well keep swindling people out of their money.
Who in their right mind would buy non-refundable AC tickets nowadays, especially further than a month out.

Its not like the news that they are thieves hasnt gotten around.

I am sure there are still people who unsuspectedly expect a refund when their flight gets cancelled, and who are in for a nasty surprise, but one would expect that number to be dwindling every day.
Old Sep 12, 2020, 11:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExecPlat
Hi, I booked a ticket on AC a while back that routed SFO-YVR-YYZ with an overnight in YVR. About a week ago I got an email from AC and they had reissued my ticket to the SFO-YYZ non-stop the following day and in the Endorsements section it said "INVOL REROUTE". When I look at the schedule however, the flights are still operating and tickets are still being sold on them. Is this just AC preemptively rebooking me since they know they will be cancelling the flights I would have been on (even though they haven't yet)? Looking for the same flights this month shows they were cancelled or removed from the schedule.

I had originally wanted the layover in YVR to visit the city for a day, but that looks extremely unlikely to be possible. A secondary reason was that I wanted to route via YVR to increase the mileage (crediting to UA). Is it pointless to ask them to put me back on my original flights?

And I am pretty sure I know the answer, but is there any chance AC will allow me to get a refund if the country I am supposed to travel to (India in this case, and probably even Canada) doesn't allow me to travel there? I would rather not be stuck with an AC voucher if possible.
Old Sep 12, 2020, 11:55 pm

Programs: AC E75K, WJ Gold, NEXUS, Marriott Gold
Even if you get your connecting flight back you won't be coming into the city. Anyone arriving from international destinations are still subject to mandatory 14 day quarantine.
Old Sep 13, 2020, 3:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Different systems update at different times. If you were rebooked, it's likely the flights were cancelled. It may take a day or two before they stop selling the flight though.

You can certainly call and ask for anything reasonable, but as was mentioned, you're not visiting YVR, and if you're not Canadian, good luck even getting on a flight.
Old Sep 13, 2020, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looking at YYZ YOW in about 4 weeks.
Still a full 16 daily schedule incl mainline.

Obviously given that its only less than a handful of Express flights now, majority of these will get cancelled.

Amazing that only 4 weeks out they are selling flights they will never operate.
Old Sep 13, 2020, 10:31 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Obviously given that its only less than a handful of Express flights now, majority of these will get cancelled.

How is it not criminal theft by deception If they are advertising favorable flight options (nonstop or several better times a day) without firm commitment to operate them all?

Government could put a rule in that any flight not cancelled 2-3 weeks out must be refunded in full with additional cash compensation due. (Sort of like, say, EU requirements)

AC could offer something like a Covid Flex fare as they try to put flight routes for sale to see if they stick. AC could put an asterisk next to the too-optimistic flight #s and a banner saying pay later, you will be charged $50 now to hold then the remainder of your fare when you click online checkin for your boarding pass.
Old Sep 13, 2020, 10:42 am

Programs: AC SE
Looking at YYZ YOW in about 4 weeks.
Still a full 16 daily schedule incl mainline.

Yeah, it's even worse when you look at transborder. At least for the domestic routes, AC will still have a way to get you between YYZ and YOW. Right now I could book a transborder flight from YYC on October 1 to LAS, PHX, EWR, LAX, or SFO, which is less than 3 weeks away. Out of those 5 routes, I'd be surprised if even one of them operates as scheduled on October 1.

It's very poor ethics IMO to be advertising flights that close to departure that are highly unlikely to operate, and then refusing refunds when AC cancels the flight. Unfortunately the CTA seems to be enabling AC's poor behaviour with Canada's toothless air passenger rights and a transport minister who seems to be asleep at the controls.
Old Sep 13, 2020, 10:43 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by expert7700
Government could put a rule in that any flight not cancelled 2-3 weeks out must be refunded in full with additional cash compensation due. (Sort of like, say, EU requirements)
They could, but they're completely in the airlines' pocket.
Old Sep 13, 2020, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is it
a) Incompetence to plan ahead
b) Wishful thinking that the world will change in 18 days
c) a brilliant plan to steal more money from Canadians
d) all of the above

I ended up buying YYZ-YOW from united.com - a) its cheaper in USD b) I'll earn a handful more RDMs c) guaranteed refund if/when AC cancels and moves me >2 hours.

Who in their right mind would buy any tickets with AC right now?
Old Sep 13, 2020, 12:31 pm

Programs: AC 35K, Marriott Titanium/LT Gold, GHA Titanium, HH Gold, Centara Platinum
Is it
I ended up buying YYZ-YOW from united.com - a) its cheaper in USD c) guaranteed refund if/when AC cancels and moves me >2 hours.
Thanks for this piece of knowledge! I'll be looking into this for my BUD-YYZ I am about to book.
Old Sep 14, 2020, 7:03 pm

https://aviationweek.com/air-transpo...revention-plan

IATA is urging the Canadian government to replace mandatory quarantines and other travel restrictions with more stringent testing protocols that could help revive travel demand without putting citizens at risk.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.