Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Master thread COVID-19/Coronavirus; travel waivers, route changes, AC impacts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2020, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
Key points of AC COVID change/cancellation policy [as of December 10, 2021]:
(see this page under "Changes and cancellations")

Unlimited changes. No change fees. – Until December 31, 2021, if you want to change your flight, we'll waive the change fee. After December 31, 2021, you can make one change at no extra charge. If your new fare has a higher price, you only need to pay the difference from your original fare.

If Air Canada changes the time of your flight, you make a change for free.*
*Within 3 days for North American destinations and 7 days for international and sun destinations.

If your flight is cancelled, you get a refund – If your flight is cancelled for any reason and we don’t rebook you on another flight that departs or arrives within three hours of your original departure or arrival time, or if we add a connection to your itinerary, you can request a refund.

Need to cancel? Save the value for future travel – If you need to cancel a booking, the full value can be transferred to an Air Canada Travel Voucher, which never expires and is fully transferrable, or converted into Aeroplan points with a 65% bonus. Refundable tickets are always refundable.

Flexibility with Aeroplan bookings – Until December 31, 2021, if you want to change your Aeroplan flight reward, we'll waive all change fees. After December 31, 2021, you can still make one change without a fee.
Print Wikipost

Master thread COVID-19/Coronavirus; travel waivers, route changes, AC impacts

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2020, 9:57 pm

Programs: TK*G, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat
Has anyone seen this - free covid insurance from AC for sun destinations https://torontosun.com/travel/intern...-no-extra-cost

It is not yet on AC website. I suspect it would be for new bookings only...
I am flying down to CUN next Monday when the new program begins....
That said, I found a cheap insurance option through https://safetywing.com/nomad-insurance - the only catch is that I have to buy once out of Canada (and certain US states including NY)... I can buy it on plane wifi or upon landing for same-day coverage.

[Edit: never mind - found additional info on ACV website. It seems it is only for AC vacation packages booked on or after Aug 31. Darn - I booked mine on Aug 27...]
https://vacations.aircanada.com/en/t...ssistance-plan ]

Last edited by ericw; Sep 2, 2020 at 10:02 pm
Old Sep 2, 2020, 10:06 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by ericw
Has anyone seen this -free covid insurance from AC for sun destinations https://torontosun.com/travel/intern...-no-extra-cost

It is not yet on AC website.
It's not on the AC site because it's not an AC product; it's an AC Vacations product. It's on the ACV site: https://vacations.aircanada.com/en/t...ssistance-plan

That means that if you just book a trip to CUN (or wherever) with AC, you won't be covered.

As for eligible bookings, August 31, 2020 onwards. So you're definitely not covered.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Sep 2, 2020 at 10:52 pm Reason: Corrected typo
Old Sep 2, 2020, 10:41 pm

China's aviation regulator said Wednesday it will resume direct flights to Beijing from eight countries including Thailand, Cambodia, Pakistan, Greece, Denmark, Sweden, Australia and Canada, starting Sept. 3.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/direct-flights-to-beijing-1.5709045

I
guess we are going to see imminent resumption of AC YVR-PEK flights?
Old Sep 3, 2020, 8:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
It's not on the AC site because it's not an AC product; it's an AC Vacations product. It's on the ACV site: https://vacations.aircanada.com/en/t...ssistance-plan

That means that if you just book a trip to CUN (or wherever) with AC, you won't be covered.

As for eligible bookings, August 31, 2020 onwards. So you're definitely not covered.
The distinction between AC & ACV is apparently lost on some in the media as the Toronto Sun gets the byline wrong and doesn't mention the coverage is only application only on packages until well into this article.
Old Sep 3, 2020, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith

Actually, ACV just called me and confirmed that bookings between Aug 28-30 are also eligible (likely Aug 28 is the day ACV's group policy went live but they didn't publicly roll it out till Aug 31st). They are still working on a procedure to retroactively add bookings between Aug 28-30.

Turned out, I booked mine on aug 28 instead of 27th. Based on Q6 of their FAQ, I suspected they would do something for booking between Aug 28-30th. I talked to 3 agents and the last one finally decided to email their internal insurance contact. She left a VM just now and confirmed that my file is now added to the eligible list and I will receive coverage ($100K pp for COVID only, max $2.5MM per AC flight). At least it gives me some peace of mind...

ACV.com FAQ #6 . I’m booked to travel after September 4th, but I made my booking prior to August 31st. Will I get the COVID-19 Plan?
The COVID-19 plan will be included on flight plus hotel bookings to applicable destinations in the Caribbean and Mexico made on or after August 31, 2020.
If you booked between August 28and August 30,, 2020, talk to an Air Canada Vacations expert at Toll-free at 1-866-529-2079.

Last edited by ericw; Sep 3, 2020 at 3:27 pm
Old Sep 3, 2020, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by tcook052
The distinction between AC & ACV is apparently lost on some in the media as the Toronto Sun gets the byline wrong and doesn't mention the coverage is only application only on packages until well into this article.
BTW, based on my searches, ACV actually did add about $30 to the cost of vacation packages. Not bad. However, if you are not senior and you are not going through the US, Safetywing's $10 USD per week full medical and trip interruption coverage seems like the cheapest option. I dig a bit deeper and it is underwritten by Lloyd's so it is probably ok.
Old Sep 4, 2020, 10:34 am

Cancelled routes for the upcoming winter....for now.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38...as-of-03sep20/

Calgary – Puerto Vallarta
Montreal – Holguin
Montreal – Port-au-Prince
Montreal – Puerto Plata
Montreal – Toulouse
Ottawa – Varadero
Toronto – Barcelona
Toronto – Belize City
Toronto – Copenhagen
Toronto – George Town
Toronto – Holguin
Toronto – Madrid
Toronto – Puerto Plata
Toronto – Quito
Toronto – Samana
Vancouver – Auckland
Vancouver – Melbourne
Vancouver – Orange County

The airline in May/June already removed following routes for winter season:
Toronto – Hartford
Toronto – Indianapolis
Toronto – San Jose CA
Toronto – Savannah

Last edited by tracon; Sep 4, 2020 at 11:08 pm Reason: Fixed link
Old Sep 4, 2020, 10:47 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
The link didn't work for me, but a working link to this list is here.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 12:46 pm

Looks like AC has begun updating it's schedule in October again as once again YYC-FRA & YYZ-CDG were removed now until October 25.

On another note, as of now the EU has not waived the slot restrictions for the winter meaning Air Canada (& WestJet) could be forced to operate empty 'ghost' flights to protect their slots at airports like LHR/LGW or risk losing them.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 5:55 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Flying Blue Gold, Accor Silver, Hilton Diamond
Yeah, my flight booked for early Oct to CDG has been cancelled and rebooked via Montreal As expected. Just don’t like the default connections provided. Should I call Aeroplan (it’s a reward booking) or Air Canada directly? They put me on short connection in YUL for the outbound flight (just 79 mins) and don’t really want to connect via YUL when retuning. I’d rather fly via FRA or LHR with a direct flight into YYZ. I may take part in the experimental COVID 19 testing offered at Pearson for retuning international passengers. Question: Any issues in the UK for connecting flights? I know there’s a 14 day quarantine for France residents into the UK, but what about connecting passengers?
Old Sep 11, 2020, 8:53 am

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Has AC reversed course on shutting down YGR permanently? I missed my chance to go this summer (I had it booked several times but had to cancel each one for a variety of reasons, unfortunately), but I see it's on the schedule for next summer again, 1-2 flights a day.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by wysiwyg
Yeah, my flight booked for early Oct to CDG has been cancelled and rebooked via Montreal As expected. Just don’t like the default connections provided. Should I call Aeroplan (it’s a reward booking) or Air Canada directly? They put me on short connection in YUL for the outbound flight (just 79 mins) and don’t really want to connect via YUL when retuning. I’d rather fly via FRA or LHR with a direct flight into YYZ. I may take part in the experimental COVID 19 testing offered at Pearson for retuning international passengers. Question: Any issues in the UK for connecting flights? I know there’s a 14 day quarantine for France residents into the UK, but what about connecting passengers?
-call Aeroplan to change your routing, they should be able to with no issues (as long as you get a competent agent) since your original flight was cancelled
-no issues transiting LHR, even if you have an overnight layover
Old Sep 11, 2020, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by wysiwyg
As ​​​YYCCL3 said, call Aeroplan, and they should be able to change for you.

Re your routing though, if Aeroplan can put you on AC CDG-YUL-YYZ, they're not going to buy you a revenue ticket on AF so you can do CDG-LHR-YYZ, and if you're trying to do CDG-FRA (or would MUC or ZRH be okay?)-YYZ, you'll be dependent on having reward space available on LH (or LX, if via ZRH) for the intra-Europe leg. Aeroplan can force open space on AC-operated flights (it's not guaranteed they will, if they've offered you another reasonable option, but they're often pretty flexible), but not on OAL metal.
Old Sep 12, 2020, 1:13 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Flying Blue Gold, Accor Silver, Hilton Diamond
Had no issues changing my outbound short connection to something earlier, but spoke to 2 different agents, they both told me that because I have a market fare reward, I can only fly on AC metal. Had it been a regular reward, it could have been any *A flight. So ended up keeping segment via Montreal for the return leg. Given the quarantine act, I wonder if they will stick me into a hotel if I miss the last flight out of YUL (19:00 most days recently). Never know with AC’s on time performance.

Last edited by wysiwyg; Sep 12, 2020 at 1:26 am
Old Sep 12, 2020, 5:38 am

Programs: CO - Onepass Gold Elite--> UA - MileagePlus Gold Premier--> Silver --> AS - MileagePlan MVPGOLD!
Does anyone have any guidance on AC resuming service on the DEN-YYZ route soon?
I need to go to Toronto for training (essential infrastructure, whether I like it or not), and DEN-YYZ would be the ideal option.
But I see that their website is going from zero flights a day on the last day of September, to TWO flights a day Oct 1. That seems... unlikely.
Any thoughts?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.