Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Master thread COVID-19/Coronavirus; travel waivers, route changes, AC impacts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2020, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
Key points of AC COVID change/cancellation policy [as of December 10, 2021]:
(see this page under "Changes and cancellations")

Unlimited changes. No change fees. – Until December 31, 2021, if you want to change your flight, we'll waive the change fee. After December 31, 2021, you can make one change at no extra charge. If your new fare has a higher price, you only need to pay the difference from your original fare.

If Air Canada changes the time of your flight, you make a change for free.*
*Within 3 days for North American destinations and 7 days for international and sun destinations.

If your flight is cancelled, you get a refund – If your flight is cancelled for any reason and we don’t rebook you on another flight that departs or arrives within three hours of your original departure or arrival time, or if we add a connection to your itinerary, you can request a refund.

Need to cancel? Save the value for future travel – If you need to cancel a booking, the full value can be transferred to an Air Canada Travel Voucher, which never expires and is fully transferrable, or converted into Aeroplan points with a 65% bonus. Refundable tickets are always refundable.

Flexibility with Aeroplan bookings – Until December 31, 2021, if you want to change your Aeroplan flight reward, we'll waive all change fees. After December 31, 2021, you can still make one change without a fee.
Print Wikipost

Master thread COVID-19/Coronavirus; travel waivers, route changes, AC impacts

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2020, 2:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Stranger
I suspect f the PNR has not been updated these folks whom you sleak to go by the rule that the flights still exists. They are not in the GDS is not relevant from their perspective. Anyway, waiting for a couple of days might help.
Flights are taken down from sale sometimes when they get massively overbooked. Not being available to query for inventory does not mean it's been cancelled. It can mean that, but it's not a safe assumption in the general case.

You need to wait until the segment goes from HK to UN.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 3:10 pm

There will be a CBC GoPublic/Marketplace segment this evening at 8PM EST about airline's reluctance to issue refunds with coronavirus

Last edited by hoipolloi; Mar 20, 2020 at 3:16 pm
Old Mar 20, 2020, 3:11 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 75K, WoH Explorist
Was supposed to travel to MCI with two friends at the end of April. YYZ - MCI is getting canceled and we won't be going. I paid for all three of us and if I cancel are we getting individual credits per person or does it get attached to my ticket as I paid for them all? Anyone been in this situation yet?
Old Mar 20, 2020, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by SweFlyer
Was supposed to travel to MCI with two friends at the end of April. YYZ - MCI is getting canceled and we won't be going. I paid for all three of us and if I cancel are we getting individual credits per person or does it get attached to my ticket as I paid for them all? Anyone been in this situation yet?
AC credits are not transferrable, and can only be used by the original passenger, not by the payer. The credits are also not combinable and any residual value is lost if they are used for a flight that costs less than the credit's value
Old Mar 20, 2020, 3:23 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 75K, WoH Explorist
Originally Posted by hoipolloi
AC credits are not transferrable, and can only be used by the original passenger, not by the payer. The credits are also not combinable and any residual value is lost if they are used for a flight that costs less than the credit's value
Thanks for the information. Real bummer for my friends because they're not frequent flyers by any means and don't even know if they would fly within the two year period that the credit is good for. Have a strong feeling AC aren't making any exceptions fo E50K customers even if I were to call them.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by supatight80
Well I don't think AC is having your best interests either.

Look at the new rules. AC cancels your flight. Flight purchased is 2000$. AC tells you you can use that credit for future use. But if your future flight is 1300$, you lose 700$.

At least they should have made it as a travelfund. Where any residual amount could be used for another ticket. But no...
Don't get me wrong. I think for cancelled flights they should be giving refunds, but I don't know that legally/contractually individuals have the ability to force this.

Regarding the forfeiture of fare difference if a lower priced ticket is booked, this is nothing new. Over and above what the tarrif may say, AFAIK the fare rules for every non-refundable ticket I've ever purchased with AC have stated that price difference would be forfeit if a lower priced fare was selected. The key is to always select a fare that has a higher price when you rebook so as not to lose the fare difference in case you need to change again in the future. For example, if you have a $2000 credit, and your options when you rebook are Standard for $1600, Flex for $1800, and Comfort for $2000, buy the Comfort ticket.

I too wish AC had a travel bank concept, but unfortunately that isn't the case.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 3:30 pm

There will be a CBC GoPublic/Marketplace segment this evening at 8PM EST about airline's reluctance to issue refunds with coronavirus
Thanks. I think I'll set my PVR.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 4:06 pm

AC Refunds

Looking forward to seeing this. Somehow doesn’t feel right that if AC cancels my flight purchased in February for travel in April that I’m given a credit that has to be used by March 31, 2021. What other business gets to treat their customers like that. Who knows what the flight will cost after this is over. I’ll bet it won’t be less.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 4:14 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Sailor-man
Looking forward to seeing this. Somehow doesn’t feel right that if AC cancels my flight purchased in February for travel in April that I’m given a credit that has to be used by March 31, 2021. What other business gets to treat their customers like that. Who knows what the flight will cost after this is over. I’ll bet it won’t be less.
When did they cancel it? If it was before March 19th, you're still entitled to a refund. If March 19th or later, the credit should be 24 months from cancellation. According to AC's own policies.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 4:28 pm

AC Refund

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
When did they cancel it? If it was before March 19th, you're still entitled to a refund. If March 19th or later, the credit should be 24 months from cancellation. According to AC's own policies.
I actually haven’t been notified yet by Air Canada that it’s cancelled, but their update on March 17th says flights YYZ to VIE are “suspended” until April 30th. I presume they will eventually tell me it’s cancelled. My booking still shows as the flight is a go. The cancel option says I get a credit good until March 31, 2021. That’s less than 12 months.

I'm thinking I should just wait for AC’s notification since the flight is booked for April 25th and see what they say.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 5:40 pm

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
Just to be clear.. If a flight is canceled and a ticket says refundable but with a penalty of 44$, that entire ticket price (less 44$) can still be refunded?

Or thats not an option anymore with the new rules set on March 19?

Coz I got an email just now from AC with the whole 24 months future travel credit. No mention of ability to refund. But my original e-ticket email says can be refunded but with a penalty of 44$
​​​​​​
Old Mar 20, 2020, 5:50 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Just to be clear.. If a flight is canceled and a ticket says refundable but with a penalty of 44$, that entire ticket price (less 44$) can still be refunded?

Coz I got an email just now from AC with the whole 24 months future travel credit. No mention of ability to refund. But my original e-ticket email says can be refunded but with a penalty of 44$
​​​​​​
If it's refundable, it's refundable. The 24 month credit is for non-refundable fares.

Don't assume emails that are being sent are specific to the fare rules of your booking.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

​​​​​​
I cannot see that they would be able not to. But surely they don't want people to get their money back. So it appears they do their best not mention it, and perhaps to make it as difficult as possible...

From a legal standpoint, if they are not able to get you at destination within a reasonable timeframe, I doubt they can invoke force majeure not to give your money back, at least in court. And without penalty... With the CTA, who knows. But then it's not the CTA's job to enforce commercial law.

What I do find offensive is that if you exchange for a cheaper ticket the difference is forfeited. I would likely be able to consistently go for more expensive fares, but very occasional flier might not be able to. Of course they can argue based upon fare cnditions, but I suspect from a legal standpoint the above is much more dubious.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 6:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Another day, another SFO change:

Downgauge:
Old flight details: AC 738 SFO-YYZ 2020-04-10T11:50:00.000-07:00 - 2020-04-10T19:47:00.000-04:00 (333)
New flight details: AC 738 SFO-YYZ 2020-04-10T11:45:00.000-07:00 - 2020-04-10T19:49:00.000-04:00 (763)

Outright cancellation:
Old flight details: AC 757 YYZ-SFO 2020-04-12T12:00:00.000-04:00 - 2020-04-12T14:31:00.000-07:00 (320)
New flight details: Likely cancelled
Old Mar 20, 2020, 6:24 pm

Class action lawsuit filed in Quebec against Air Transat and Air Canada. Go get them!

https://lookaside.fbsbx.com/file/500...jPqrB3RM2ltu3c

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.