Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Master thread COVID-19/Coronavirus; travel waivers, route changes, AC impacts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2020, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
Key points of AC COVID change/cancellation policy [as of December 10, 2021]:
(see this page under "Changes and cancellations")

Unlimited changes. No change fees. – Until December 31, 2021, if you want to change your flight, we'll waive the change fee. After December 31, 2021, you can make one change at no extra charge. If your new fare has a higher price, you only need to pay the difference from your original fare.

If Air Canada changes the time of your flight, you make a change for free.*
*Within 3 days for North American destinations and 7 days for international and sun destinations.

If your flight is cancelled, you get a refund – If your flight is cancelled for any reason and we don’t rebook you on another flight that departs or arrives within three hours of your original departure or arrival time, or if we add a connection to your itinerary, you can request a refund.

Need to cancel? Save the value for future travel – If you need to cancel a booking, the full value can be transferred to an Air Canada Travel Voucher, which never expires and is fully transferrable, or converted into Aeroplan points with a 65% bonus. Refundable tickets are always refundable.

Flexibility with Aeroplan bookings – Until December 31, 2021, if you want to change your Aeroplan flight reward, we'll waive all change fees. After December 31, 2021, you can still make one change without a fee.
Print Wikipost

Master thread COVID-19/Coronavirus; travel waivers, route changes, AC impacts

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2020, 3:52 pm

Honestly I’d wait for CNY to pass, people return and they’ll see a rise in cases which will prompt panic and waivers to be issued.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 4:04 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Originally Posted by expert7700
your trip is over 2 months away and doesn't directly touch WUH

​​​​​​I admire your goal of hitting all the *G carriers. we are only missing one primary carrier (Shenzhen) and one connecting partner (Juneyao). We intend to do both before spring/summer is over.

Unless you need the miles to book a new flight, personally I'd hold on to your cool routing and watch the news updates in several weeks. Doing so now now the most you'd get is pay refund refund fees or change fees, and you'd have to find existing Aeroplan flight award inventory.

​​
Part of the problem though is that my actual ticket starts like...next week, it's a multi month RTW haha. I can only assume changing it after starting a trip makes it a bit messier.

While I know I'm not touching Wuhan, many carriers are offering waivers for all of China, which i think is the right thing to do. We all know the Chinese reporting of this will be spotty at best, and it's also not likely to just disappear in the next two months. So I will be waiting for now to see if the waiver gets extended, but I might give them a call next week when I'm home just to see if they'd be willing to do it for me. I might even pay the $150 if I can swap to what I found. I shouldn't be allowed more than 24 hours in BKK, but I found a BKK-TPE J award that lines up perfectly with my TPE-SEA flight, except I'd be breaking the 24 hours rule in BKK by like 2 days. If they're willing to let that rule slide I'll probably pay the $150 out of an abundance of caution.

That said, if I do, it'll be the 2nd time I missed my Shenzhen flight! Last time I tried flying ZH out of BKK and missed the check-in by like 10 minutes because I couldn't check in online and the taxi to the airport took a couple too many minutes. I couldn't get on the next ZH flight, so I had to take TG instead. I'll definitely get it one day though!
Old Jan 25, 2020, 4:09 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by kenlor
Just as a data point: I called both the Concierge and the 100K Reservations line today to ask about cancelling a YYC-YVR-TPE round trip that was booked in early January for travel Feb 1 - 5.

Both told me the goodwill waiver does not apply to TPE and the normal change/cancellation process & fees would be applied. If I chose to change, I would receive a credit that I could apply to any other routing on any other day, within 1 year. Concierge advised that since I would have to pay the change/cancel fees today, I should probably wait a few days to see if the waiver is expanded to include TPE, but made it clear she had no insider knowledge as to whether or not this would happen. I chose to wait a few days just in case.

I also have a HKG routing in later Feb, so will be watching for that one too.
I was going to mention that earlier upthread, but decided not to make it too political, because Taiwan is not a part of China despite what the CCP claims.

Taiwan does have three confirmed cases of the virus, but all are traceable back to Wuhan, so the situation is still somewhat under control. The Taiwanese government has put a stop to tour groups to/from China until month end and the ten tour groups from Wuhan that's currently in Taiwan are being told to stay in their hotels and asked to return ASAP.

Depending on how the situation unfolds over the next few days, I am actually in favour of suspending all flights to China. They covered up SARS until it was out of control in 2003, and it appears nothing has changed.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by YYT82
Did you only fly the domestic portion or have you flown the international portion as well? If domestic only, you can apply for a refund of the residual value. The ticketing department will simply deduct the equivalent domestic fare from your international fare.
YWG-SIN//PVG-YWG in P
Flew the outbound already.
Personally I guess I will just wait and see how much worse it gets to see if the waiver becomes anymore flexible. Seeing as I basically now have a useless ticket.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 4:17 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by hydrogen
YWG-SIN//PVG-YWG in P
Flew the outbound already.
Personally I guess I will just wait and see how much worse it gets to see if the waiver becomes anymore flexible. Seeing as I basically now have a useless ticket.
If you are already in Asia can't you change the PVG-YWG portion free of charge to get you home without touching China on the way back?
Old Jan 25, 2020, 4:36 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by eigenvector
If you are already in Asia can't you change the PVG-YWG portion free of charge to get you home without touching China on the way back?
Exactly what I was thinking.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 6:42 pm

Programs: AC*SEMM
*** On phone with Air Canada for HONG KONG *** They are CANCELLING without any fees _ONLY_ until Jan. 31, 2020 (FOR NOW!) ... she recommended to wait .. that this could be extended to February in the upcoming days (according to her) ...
Old Jan 25, 2020, 6:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
Originally Posted by YUL_Around_The_World
I have a flight to HKG in 10 days ... they just declared a state of emergency ** IN HONG KONG ** ... 5 cases of Coronavirus . there's no way Air Canada can maintain the non-stop flights??

https://www.vox.com/2020/1/25/210814...kong-emergency
Maybe I made the right call by cancelling. I was supposed to return from HKG on Tuesday.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YUL_Around_The_World
*** On phone with Air Canada for HONG KONG *** They are CANCELLING without any fees _ONLY_ until Jan. 31, 2020 (FOR NOW!) ... she recommended to wait .. that this could be extended to February in the upcoming days (according to her) ...

Willing to bet it will? SARS took two years to get under control. Anyway, I would not worry, the window will be extended sooner rtaher than later.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by eigenvector
I left ASAP before waiver officially came out by about 24h. Besides, AC flights out of PVG were zeroed out in J/O/Y for the next few days. Ended up IKKing back.

So... did I lose half a ticket?
Old Jan 25, 2020, 8:33 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Why are people canceling trips to Beijing, Hong Kong and Taipei? This is not a zombie apocalypse; it's the seventh strain of the common cold. Yes, one of the other six strains is the infamous SARS, but this nCoV is a much less virulent strain. Of the 56* (!!!) reported deaths to date, the median age of the deceased is 61 (ie: senior) and the lone young fatality was an immuno-compromised 35 year old man. If you are healthy and possess a normal immune function, you are very unlikely to suffer more than regular cold symptoms, if anything.

I'd certainly understand suspending travel plans to any of the locked down cities, or traveling if you are also immune-compromised, but I personally wouldn't hesitate to travel tomorrow to other cities in the region, including in mainland China.

Chinese officials are NOT repeating their SARS-era coverups; the pendulum may actually have swung too far the other way this time in terms of them being over-cautious.

The advice we're receiving from the Public Health Agency of Canada is that the risk remains low in Canada and for Canadian travellers. There are no plans to suspend nonstop flights from China to Canada, although airport kiosks have been programmed to ask specific travel questions to people who have been in Hubei province the past two weeks. Agency nurses (ie: for CBSA staff) advise that immigration officials wear gloves only because they handle passports and documents from potentially affected travellers, and some opt to wear masks. The most effective preventative action is, as always, frequent hand washing.

This virus has killed a few people, but not nearly as many as have died here at home from the flu this winter. Educate yourselves, follow the advice of the health professionals, and don't succumb to fear and panic.

Now might be a great time to visit some of the regional destinations and take advantage of lower airfares, higher vacancy rates and all the sheeple staying at home.

Last edited by CZAMFlyer; Jan 25, 2020 at 8:40 pm Reason: *updated to include latest death stat...still a statistically minute number.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 9:32 pm

Simply because we don’t trust what governments tell us. Look at that pathetic press release by Toronto/Ontario health ministries today, bragging how they had this under control. Well they didn’t even include a federal representative, had no idea what flight that infected person was on and the paramedics union said EMS was never informed about the infection. Honestly this case was contained because the person made a 911 call after feeling sick.

With new growing cases everyday in difference places,
if this was a discretionary trip, why would I even want to put myself anywhere close in harms way? Furthermore if I had to travel w elderly, compromised immunity and young family members; why would I even chance it? Even on a good day they can come back from a trip sick w fever and cold, do I need to alarm everyone upon arriving canada?

Perhaps lecturing people with those useless government advice. Please educate yourself by minding your own business. You have no idea who’s travelling and our health conditions. If you want to seize this travel opportunity, do so at your own risk.

Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
Why are people canceling trips to Beijing, Hong Kong and Taipei? This is not a zombie apocalypse; it's the seventh strain of the common cold. Yes, one of the other six strains is the infamous SARS, but this nCoV is a much less virulent strain. Of the 56* (!!!) reported deaths to date, the median age of the deceased is 61 (ie: senior) and the lone young fatality was an immuno-compromised 35 year old man. If you are healthy and possess a normal immune function, you are very unlikely to suffer more than regular cold symptoms, if anything.

I'd certainly understand suspending travel plans to any of the locked down cities, or traveling if you are also immune-compromised, but I personally wouldn't hesitate to travel tomorrow to other cities in the region, including in mainland China.

Chinese officials are NOT repeating their SARS-era coverups; the pendulum may actually have swung too far the other way this time in terms of them being over-cautious.

The advice we're receiving from the Public Health Agency of Canada is that the risk remains low in Canada and for Canadian travellers. There are no plans to suspend nonstop flights from China to Canada, although airport kiosks have been programmed to ask specific travel questions to people who have been in Hubei province the past two weeks. Agency nurses (ie: for CBSA staff) advise that immigration officials wear gloves only because they handle passports and documents from potentially affected travellers, and some opt to wear masks. The most effective preventative action is, as always, frequent hand washing.

This virus has killed a few people, but not nearly as many as have died here at home from the flu this winter. Educate yourselves, follow the advice of the health professionals, and don't succumb to fear and panic.

Now might be a great time to visit some of the regional destinations and take advantage of lower airfares, higher vacancy rates and all the sheeple staying at home.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by global happy traveller
....t that infected person was on and the paramedics union said EMS was never informed about the infection.....
https://www.insider.com/canada-confi...toronto-2020-1

"Officials said Saturday that the paramedics had been wearing full protective gear when they picked him up,"

Anyone wearing a face mask because of this infection, should be wearing two bullet proof vests when they go stateside.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 9:59 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Well, global angry traveller, it appears you missed the part where I mentioned I'd understand refraining from travel if you were elderly or immuno-compromised. Why would you chance it, you ask? Yes, why indeed.
That there is a single person in Ontario who is suspected to have contracted the virus, and is currently isolated and in stable condition suggests that well yeah, they do have this under control. The reference to "useless government advice" betrays an attitude that relies upon personal hunch & fear rather than expert professional assessment. The leap to a defensive position implies that you might not be in robust health, and if that's the case, stay home or go to a hospital. Do not go anywhere near an airport. If you are in normal health, you should have little to be concerned about regarding this new virus. That's not my advice (as I wrote in my post, yet feel it's clearly necessary to repeat for you); it's the advice we received in this afternoon's briefing from PHAC and the quarantine nurses. It's literally their business, so maybe direct your vexation their way.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer

I think you are underestimating this. I would agree about Taiwan, and perhaps Hong Kong. Where there are likely effective mechanisms in place.

I would not go to Beijing except for a pretty compelling reason however.

As to China not repeating the SARS coverup, it's again not that simple. It does appear China as a whole is now taking the issue very seriously, but that may be too little too late. By all account local authorities in Wuhan did their best to minimize the thing when it could have been contained, until it truly got out of hand. And now the thing is more or less on the loose all over China, and it won't be easy to contain, now that is already all over China. Plus, there are likely many cases that might be hiding rather than seeking help if they don't trust the system.

As to there having been "only" 56 casualties so far, this is likely grossly underestimated. Perhaps more to the point, the number itself is more or less meaningless if for a while there is an exponential growth. It it doubles say every four days, it's about sixteen times in a month, 256 times in two months. At which point control measures might start kicking in and reduce the growth rate. Until numbers eventually peak.

But anyway, nobody really knows how bad this is, or not, at this point.

And yes, I would agree that Canada is currently well-organized to deal with the issue, and so are most western countries. But China is still a different story.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.