Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Master thread COVID-19/Coronavirus; travel waivers, route changes, AC impacts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2020, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
Key points of AC COVID change/cancellation policy [as of December 10, 2021]:
(see this page under "Changes and cancellations")

Unlimited changes. No change fees. – Until December 31, 2021, if you want to change your flight, we'll waive the change fee. After December 31, 2021, you can make one change at no extra charge. If your new fare has a higher price, you only need to pay the difference from your original fare.

If Air Canada changes the time of your flight, you make a change for free.*
*Within 3 days for North American destinations and 7 days for international and sun destinations.

If your flight is cancelled, you get a refund – If your flight is cancelled for any reason and we don’t rebook you on another flight that departs or arrives within three hours of your original departure or arrival time, or if we add a connection to your itinerary, you can request a refund.

Need to cancel? Save the value for future travel – If you need to cancel a booking, the full value can be transferred to an Air Canada Travel Voucher, which never expires and is fully transferrable, or converted into Aeroplan points with a 65% bonus. Refundable tickets are always refundable.

Flexibility with Aeroplan bookings – Until December 31, 2021, if you want to change your Aeroplan flight reward, we'll waive all change fees. After December 31, 2021, you can still make one change without a fee.
Print Wikipost

Master thread COVID-19/Coronavirus; travel waivers, route changes, AC impacts

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2020, 3:45 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
AC has changed the page on suspensions. Now they're only showing the places they plan to serve in the next couple of months, with no indication as to what will happen after that. So, for instance, YYC-LHR is just gone. So is YVR-TPE. Same with YYZ-MXP and so on.

Very annoying.
Old May 26, 2020, 4:37 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by nexusCFX
....bookings to visit family for the July 4 weekend...
2. Operating but my 767 which was a 787 now turns into an A320 at which point I might just cancel myself because I don't want domestic J seat.
Scenario 2 is spoken like a true Flyertalker: dear family I *would* visit but my widebody pod became a domestic J seat.

On a side note, a friend just mentioned that starting June 2, AC247 is an A320 with a domestic J seat. 39 mile flight YVR-YYJ. Unsure if he will find it worth the extra cost for J or the difference for an Aeroplan redemption.
Old May 26, 2020, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
AC has changed the page on suspensions. Now they're only showing the places they plan to serve in the next couple of months, with no indication as to what will happen after that. So, for instance, YYC-LHR is just gone. So is YVR-TPE. Same with YYZ-MXP and so on.
AC is still being very optimistic about their international schedule for July, especially for Europe. Even if the borders do open up a bit, we will likely still need to self-isolate for 14 days in both directions, which means that very few people will be travelling.
Old May 26, 2020, 4:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by expert7700
Scenario 2 is spoken like a true Flyertalker: dear family I *would* visit but my widebody pod became a domestic J seat.

On a side note, a friend just mentioned that starting June 2, AC247 is an A320 with a domestic J seat. 39 mile flight YVR-YYJ. Unsure if he will find it worth the extra cost for J or the difference for an Aeroplan redemption.
That would have made EYW so much more tolerable.
Old May 26, 2020, 6:18 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Scenario 2 is spoken like a true Flyertalker: dear family I *would* visit but my widebody pod became a domestic J seat.​
It's more like, my value calculation was that this was worth 25,000 miles for the 787 pod. Then it went to 767 and I was like...okay, the A column seats are still fine. But when it goes to A320 now I would rather have just paid cash because I'm not skipping the signature service tariff with miles now, but now it's too late because the prices have gone up, and UA is cheaper on that route for domestic J anyway, but UA isn't flying it right now...sorry family see you for labor day maybe. So actually, yes it is exactly what you wrote there.
Old May 26, 2020, 6:32 pm

Programs: SE 100K

Very annoying.

To be fair, how can they know or predict?

It's virtually impossible to route plan that far out in a pandemic.
The situation changes day by day and week by week everywhere.
Old May 26, 2020, 6:53 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by CanadianMike
To be fair, how can they know or predict?

It's virtually impossible to route plan that far out in a pandemic.
The situation changes day by day and week by week everywhere.
We're all well aware of that.

I'm not expecting exact guidance on when YYC-LHR is going to resume, for instance. But where AC has already made a definitive decision to cancel a seasonal service, e.g. YYZ-MXP, or suspend a service for quite a long time, e.g. TPE was previously mentioned to be gone until March 2021, that would be nice to know.
Old May 26, 2020, 7:07 pm

Programs: AC 75K

I'm not expecting exact guidance on when YYC-LHR is going to resume, for instance. But where AC has already made a definitive decision to cancel a seasonal service, e.g. YYZ-MXP, or suspend a service for quite a long time, e.g. TPE was previously mentioned to be gone until March 2021, that would be nice to know.
I know this isn’t your point, but there’s a good update here: https://www.routesonline.com/news/38...as-of-21may20/

YYC-LHR currently planned to restart on August 1, 5x weekly with a 77W. Daily from August 22.
Old May 26, 2020, 7:57 pm

The late evening YVR-YYJ and morning YYJ-YVR have been running with an A319 since Friday. Perhaps not enough capacity on the Q400 with half the seats blocked and so many turns cancelled?
Old May 26, 2020, 9:36 pm

Programs: AC SE100K 1MM, FB Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold Elite, Hilton Gold

It would also be good to know what is happening to the Rouge 767 routes which are still bookable on both AC and AE when it’s pretty clear they won’t be operating with that aircraft.
Old May 26, 2020, 9:46 pm

Very annoying.
Just realized there won't be a single Transborder flight from YYC on AC metal until August at the earliest. Even than its just SFO & LAS? I guess they can codeshare with UA, but I have my doubts on them actually operating too. WestJet will be happy to have the market to themselves.
Old May 26, 2020, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by hollywoodcory17
Just realized there won't be a single Transborder flight from YYC on AC metal until August at the earliest. Even than its just SFO & LAS?
Who knows whether they'll even get that. AC seems non-committal beyond July.

I guess they can codeshare with UA, but I have my doubts on them actually operating too. WestJet will be happy to have the market to themselves.
Is WS really going to fly to many TB destinations though?
Old May 26, 2020, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by EdmFlyBoi
It would also be good to know what is happening to the Rouge 767 routes which are still bookable on both AC and AE when it’s pretty clear they won’t be operating with that aircraft.
Gift card sales masquerading as flights?
Old May 27, 2020, 1:18 pm

Who knows whether they'll even get that. AC seems non-committal beyond July.

Is WS really going to fly to many TB destinations though?
Indeed, I can see both of them along with LHR being pushed further into the fall. FRA is basically the only hope for any kind of an international ops this summer from AC.

Neither UA or WS has updated their July schedules, but based on what WS has scheduled in June it looks they plan to resume at least 3 TB routes from YYC (LAX, ATL & LAS).
Old May 27, 2020, 2:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
So I was just thinking... historically AC promotions always require you book and fly within a given window, so that past bookings don't count.

I wonder if that might change in the current environment, since it would create an incentive to not cancel bookings (which is happening a lot right now).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.