Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Master thread COVID-19/Coronavirus; travel waivers, route changes, AC impacts

Old Jan 27, 2020, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
Key points of AC COVID change/cancellation policy [as of December 10, 2021]:
(see this page under "Changes and cancellations")

Unlimited changes. No change fees. – Until December 31, 2021, if you want to change your flight, we'll waive the change fee. After December 31, 2021, you can make one change at no extra charge. If your new fare has a higher price, you only need to pay the difference from your original fare.

If Air Canada changes the time of your flight, you make a change for free.*
*Within 3 days for North American destinations and 7 days for international and sun destinations.

If your flight is cancelled, you get a refund – If your flight is cancelled for any reason and we don’t rebook you on another flight that departs or arrives within three hours of your original departure or arrival time, or if we add a connection to your itinerary, you can request a refund.

Need to cancel? Save the value for future travel – If you need to cancel a booking, the full value can be transferred to an Air Canada Travel Voucher, which never expires and is fully transferrable, or converted into Aeroplan points with a 65% bonus. Refundable tickets are always refundable.

Flexibility with Aeroplan bookings – Until December 31, 2021, if you want to change your Aeroplan flight reward, we'll waive all change fees. After December 31, 2021, you can still make one change without a fee.
Print Wikipost

Master thread COVID-19/Coronavirus; travel waivers, route changes, AC impacts

Old May 15, 2020, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by Merlin666
I am considering a trip to Germany (FRA) in October, but it seems that AC does not have a revised cancellation policy similar to WestJet. I would not be interested in travelling if restrictions like quarantine for international travellers were still in effect at that time (which is quite likely). Can someone confirm that on AC the fare still determines cancellation policy and penalties?

A bit of background to this trip: I was supposed to be in Germany right now to visit my 85 year old mother, had booked with Westjet via CDG and intended to spend a few June days in Paris. So now I have the value of this trip in the WS travelbank, and could re-book into October but have lost interest in the Paris visit and hassles of train travel to Germany. Still if I book with WS and cancel, then the refund would go just back into the travelbank. The AC standard fare to FRA is about 50% higher than WS but it looks like they don't have a travelbank approach for covid related cancellations. So I am really torn between the options.
I don't specifically have an answer to your question, but personally I am not booking anything until it is clearer from airlines like AC that money spent now doesn't simply disappear into a future-use credit. Westjet's travel bank is an improvement over AC's policy, but it is still money that I can't access right now. There is currently some controversy in the EC over the EC's threat to sue member nations who do not enforce EC 261 rules that require airlines to refund money in the case of cancellations. I have not followed this closely, but my understanding is that the EC is requiring airlines to provide refunds and they are mostly not doing so. I hope that the EC situation will provide clarity and certainty for travelers at some point soon. If it turns out that European airlines will be forced to provide refunds then I would look to book something to Europe, but only on a European airline. Otherwise, it seems like we will just be in the same place where we are buying tickets we can't use, and worse, being provided with a credit in return that has to be used in a rebooking (with the potential for lost value if the ticket is cheaper; or, the need to pay more if the new ticket is more expensive).

I am currently going back and forth with Condor about a refund for a trip to FRA that was supposed to happen last week. It doesn't do me much good to have a future-use travel voucher with them, and if they raise fares then I will have to pay more to use it. Such battles should not be necessary. As for AC specifically, I'm not hopeful that should there be future Covid-19 cancellations that they will be handled any differently than they are now.
Old May 15, 2020, 11:15 am

Programs: Mileage Plus
I'm pretty annoyed at AC. Booked July 1 trip to Toronto from Las Vegas in economy and paid cash. Obviously, there is not going to be social distancing on this flight. I cancelled because I fear my wife and I are in the high risk group for covid-19. All AC would do is give me a credit to use good for 2 years, even tho it is not even clear if non-essential travel to Canada from US would be permitted on July 1. Other legs of the trip were booked with United using award miles and United is refunding everything, miles and the small co-pay.
Old May 15, 2020, 11:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
Originally Posted by jonsail
I'm pretty annoyed at AC. Booked July 1 trip to Toronto from Las Vegas in economy and paid cash. Obviously, there is not going to be social distancing on this flight. I cancelled because I fear my wife and I are in the high risk group for covid-19. All AC would do is give me a credit to use good for 2 years, even tho it is not even clear if non-essential travel to Canada from US would be permitted on July 1. Other legs of the trip were booked with United using award miles and United is refunding everything, miles and the small co-pay.
I thought Air Canada was blocking all middle seats now to help with the social distancing.

As for the refunds. Yes that's annoying. Also no need to cancel so early, you could have tried a wait and see approach with regards to the border reopening, however Im not sure what that has to do with refund vs credit in ACs eyes.
Old May 15, 2020, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by jonsail
AFAIK AC hasn't made changes to their July schedules yet. There are currently flights planned to be operating to LAS on July 1 from YYZ, YUL, YVR, YYC. While it is highly doubtful that these will all operate, the current situation is that the Canada/US agreement to ban non-essential travel expires in May, and there is no word on if/when/how it might be extended.

At this point in time, you've made a voluntary cancellation. I'm actually a bit surprised that you're allowed to have a 24-month credit for travel beyond the official border closure date, but upon checking the AC website I see that the only criteria for travel is that it occurs on/after March 1, 2020.

Don't confuse the ability to get a "refund" for award travel with what is happening with revenue travel. Similar to other programs, AC is giving full refunds on flights booked via Aeroplan too - in a sense it is no different than what is happening with revenue bookings. Just like the travel credit for a revenue booking, AC is keeping points and allowing the program member to use them at a future time. MP is simply returning your points to your account, its not like they're giving you a refund of the cash equivalent, you still have to redeem the points via MP at some point.

Further to previous poster, had you waited to make your cancellation until AC canceled the flight, you may have had legal recourse to a refund via DOT, etc. Worst case, had your flight not been canceled and you wanted to cancel anyways, you'd have had a longer validity period as the AC website states the credit is good for 24 months from the date of cancellation.
Old May 15, 2020, 12:45 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by Nitehawk
I thought Air Canada was blocking all middle seats now to help with the social distancing.
Seat blocking is currently only planned until June 30th.
Old May 15, 2020, 1:37 pm

Yyc to ywg route just changed.

A couple of weeks ago I booked a direct flight from Yyc to ywg in July.
it has just changed going from Calgary to Vancouver to Montreal then Winnipeg.
should I just hang tough and see if it changes again? Or change it now.
any information would be appreciated.
Old May 15, 2020, 1:46 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by maebun
Hard to believe that's the best available route.

If you want to change it now, change it. Just beware that they may adjust the schedule again and you may have to change it again at that point.
Old May 15, 2020, 1:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
There are so many people on FT who would love that routing.
Old May 15, 2020, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by maebun
AC hasn't operated YYC-YWG since they shut things down for COVID-19, and it looks like they are extending the route cancellation through to Labour Day. They could probably offer you a YYC-YVR-YWG option, but I'd likely be looking for a new ticket on WestJet.
Old May 16, 2020, 9:36 am

I've been combing through threads to piece together information, and my best best is posting this basic question here.

We had a big family reunion cancelled for the July 4th weekend, so we put in for a refund on our rewards flights YYZ-SFO. The bonus of that flight was the 777 lay flat seats - yes, even though it's a short flight. So now, we're trying to figure out what to do for our booked vacation time. I'm thinking YYZ-YVR, and spend a week or 2 on Vancouver Island. I believe the Dreamliner is still flying that route, so we get the layflats back. Access to lounge as well. We don't fly much (twice a year max), so having lounge and lay flats are a real treat for us - even on shorter flights. We have flexibility on dates, and we can both reschedule our work time off, but we're hoping to get away sometime during the first 2 weeks of July. Figured Canada was the safest best with the possibility of border restrictions.

So, few questions:
I assume YYZ and YVR lounges are closed? Any chatter about when in the reopening process they might open? Obviously just looking for educated opinions
Dreamliner still flying the YYZ-YVR route? I looked at flights this week, and it appears so.

Yeah, I know there is a little thing called Covid out there, and yes, this is a significantly minor inquir,y in the grand scheme of things, but I appreciate any help.
Old May 16, 2020, 11:48 am

Programs: CO Platinum/1K, SPG Platinum/Ambassador
Air Canada June Schedule

Is the June schedule finalized yet? I see they’re adding back more service particularly to Europe but wanted to know if it’s possible they still axe those.
Old May 16, 2020, 11:55 am

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by dparkinson
Is the June schedule finalized yet? I see they’re adding back more service particularly to Europe but wanted to know if it’s possible they still axe those.
These days, the schedule is subject to change on very short notice. You should consider what's on the schedule to be AC's best guess, and tentative at best.

They have no more insight on when travel restrictions, quarantines, etc will be lifted than most of us do.
Old May 16, 2020, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by Toddcan
I assume YYZ and YVR lounges are closed?
Yes.

Any chatter about when in the reopening process they might open? Obviously just looking for educated opinions
It's hard to say, because it's just just a question of when they'll be allowed to reopen from a health perspective, but whether AC will want to spend the money. With so little traffic, is it really worth their while to staff the lounges, clean them, etc? When they do reopen, the service offering will likely be cut drastically in terms of food and beverages.

Dreamliner still flying the YYZ-YVR route? I looked at flights this week, and it appears so.
Yesterday's AC YYZ-YVR schedule had 3x 789, 1x 77W, and 1x 319. The schedule for early July has several 789s every day. So there's no guarantee, but the chances are decent you'll still be able to get a pod.
Old May 16, 2020, 12:02 pm

Programs: AC SE100K 1MM, FB Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dparkinson
It does not seem finalised. YYZ-BOG and YYZ-GRU were seemingly to start the beginning of June but there is no availability until June 24th. The same is true for YYC-FRA. YUL-BRU has a start date of June 3rd. There are also Rouge 767 flights still in the schedule and these will be altered based on aircraft availability and stage length.

My guess is that routes will start based on travel restrictions and demand. DEL, for example, may not start for a while consider India is still in lockdown and cases are rising quickly. Suspect there will be further schedule revisions prior to the beginning of June.
Old May 16, 2020, 12:10 pm

Credit Card Insurance

Has anyone had success making a claim on Credit Card Insurance (Allianz) for “cancellation charges” on airline tickets purchased pre COVID and cancelled by the airline.

We had Air Canada tickets purchased in December before COVID and cancelled by AIr Canada in April. Air Canada offered refund less $300 cancellation fee or a 24 month credit. We opted for the refund and made a claim on Credit Card Insurance (Allianz) for the $300 cancellation fee about a month ago. Not a peep from Allianz Canada.

Curious if anyone else has gone this route and got anything from Allianz.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.