Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Master thread COVID-19/Coronavirus; travel waivers, route changes, AC impacts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2020, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
Key points of AC COVID change/cancellation policy [as of December 10, 2021]:
(see this page under "Changes and cancellations")

Unlimited changes. No change fees. – Until December 31, 2021, if you want to change your flight, we'll waive the change fee. After December 31, 2021, you can make one change at no extra charge. If your new fare has a higher price, you only need to pay the difference from your original fare.

If Air Canada changes the time of your flight, you make a change for free.*
*Within 3 days for North American destinations and 7 days for international and sun destinations.

If your flight is cancelled, you get a refund – If your flight is cancelled for any reason and we don’t rebook you on another flight that departs or arrives within three hours of your original departure or arrival time, or if we add a connection to your itinerary, you can request a refund.

Need to cancel? Save the value for future travel – If you need to cancel a booking, the full value can be transferred to an Air Canada Travel Voucher, which never expires and is fully transferrable, or converted into Aeroplan points with a 65% bonus. Refundable tickets are always refundable.

Flexibility with Aeroplan bookings – Until December 31, 2021, if you want to change your Aeroplan flight reward, we'll waive all change fees. After December 31, 2021, you can still make one change without a fee.
Print Wikipost

Master thread COVID-19/Coronavirus; travel waivers, route changes, AC impacts

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2020, 9:35 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by tcook052
Seems according to this article that AC will return to CUN in "early June".
Posted the wrong link? The title of that article is "Asked for his economic plan, Trump focuses on his 'feelings'", and it doesn't seem to have anything to do with AC flying to CUN

I didn't even realize AC flew to CUN in the summer though. Is there really much demand?
Old May 3, 2020, 10:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Posted the wrong link? The title of that article is "Asked for his economic plan, Trump focuses on his 'feelings'", and it doesn't seem to have anything to do with AC flying to CUN

I didn't even realize AC flew to CUN in the summer though. Is there really much demand?
I went to CUN in late May 2014 for a work "trip". Our YYZ colleagues came in on rouge, I believe.

I wouldn't go to CUN to escape the heat in August, but I might go to relax at an all-inclusive beach resort.
Old May 4, 2020, 7:37 am

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Posted the wrong link?
Corrected link. My apologies.

CUN has become a year-round destination in recent years with destination weddings and conferences adding to the all-inclusive resort traffic. The article doesn't mention frequency so could be once per week.
Old May 4, 2020, 11:48 am

If I wanted to change the date of an existing booking for this summer (since transcon availability is now wide open) is my only free recourse to cancel the booking and rebook it? Or are change fees waived too?
Old May 4, 2020, 12:08 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Points Poppa
If I wanted to change the date of an existing booking for this summer (since transcon availability is now wide open) is my only free recourse to cancel the booking and rebook it? Or are change fees waived too?
Change fees and phone booking fees are still in effect. Cancel and re-book.
Old May 4, 2020, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by Points Poppa
I was allowed to make a free change with an agent on May 1st, the rep said they have a waiver in place where existing bookings can get 1 free change prior to May 7th. Changes in taxes and fees apply however, but doesn't seem like it should be a big issue to you.
Old May 4, 2020, 10:27 pm

Maybe a nonstop to SIN in the future?

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapo...sume-essential

Coronavirus: Singapore, Australia, Canada, South Korea, New Zealand commit to resuming essential cross-border travel

Old May 4, 2020, 11:37 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by tracon

Coronavirus: Singapore, Australia, Canada, South Korea, New Zealand commit to resuming essential cross-border travel

It will be a very sensible route once we return to somewhat-normal, but I suspect it might be difficult to justify "essential travel" between Singapore-Canada now, given that we haven't ever had a nonstop (or meaningfully direct*) route before.

* the previous SQ service to YVR wasn't to serve Singapore-Canada, it was to serve SIN-ICN and ICN-YVR traffic separately.
Old May 4, 2020, 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
It will be a very sensible route once we return to somewhat-normal, but I suspect it might be difficult to justify "essential travel" between Singapore-Canada now, given that we haven't ever had a nonstop (or meaningfully direct*) route before.

* the previous SQ service to YVR wasn't to serve Singapore-Canada, it was to serve SIN-ICN and ICN-YVR traffic separately.
Maybe a YYZ-SIN-XXX (DPS/CGK/KUL/BKK or even Australia)?
Old May 5, 2020, 11:54 am

AC Covid-19 Loads and Service

Just some real, but statistically irrelevant, data.

Routing YYC-YYZ (AC), YYZ-FRA (AC), FRA-AMS (LH).

YYC-YYZ A220 Total Pax 6. All pax handed a bottle of water on boarding.
YYZ-FRA Total pax about 84, a few in J, 2 in PY, the rest in Y with most of them in the main Y cabin. A very small AC branded bottle of water handed out, small box shortly after T/O. Appeared to be some sort of wrap, I brought my own eats! Some CC wearing paper costs, looked ridiculous as a good sneeze would go right through. Various water runs later with warnings that drinking your own alcohol was verboten. My first taste of HD Y. OK in the exit row with no neighbours but can be imagined as pure hell if full. In FRA they only let 40 pax at a time de-board.
FRA-AMS. About 15 on an EJ190. FRA was a ghost town, with most outlets closed and LH with "stored" wide-bodies parked at some gates. Engines taped up, all inlets/outlets sealed, got to keep the birds out! AMS about the same.
Trying to imagine what Post Covid travel will look like does not bear thinking about.
Old May 5, 2020, 12:29 pm

Programs: AC*SEMM

CANADA-SINGAPORE non-stop flight ... NOT viable in "regular times" CERTAINLY not viable now!! 0% chance of happening ... Most Asian routes won't be viable in the near future because only business travel might be open. And that's not enough.
Old May 5, 2020, 1:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by YUL_Around_The_World
CANADA-SINGAPORE non-stop flight ... NOT viable in "regular times" CERTAINLY not viable now!! 0% chance of happening ... Most Asian routes won't be viable in the near future because only business travel might be open. And that's not enough.
Agree.

We can and should all have optimism in being able to return to our "regularly scheduled flying"

I take time to read other media from the Asian and SE Asian countries I travel to frequently, as well las the IATA travel docs page with the TIMATIC rules and other info listing the restrictions for entry. Plus I stay informed from friends and associates in these countries who have local knowledge and language skills.

It doesn't matter if AC or anyone else resumes flying pax to any of these countries. Currently, entry restrictions to some countries are limited to citizens, residents and in some places, specific visas and many other rules.

If we cannot enter Singapore or Taiwan, New Zealand, Australia or elsewhere, we are not likely to be booking travel. Certainly, we can be as optimistic as we want, but there are restrictions we cannot bypass.

Singapore and AC have been discussed a number of times in other threads not related to the current pandemic. Everyone from those who love SIN to cabin crew might wish for the route keep saying AC will launch the route. I've posted some reasons why it is NOT about pax for AC, it is about cargo. And, the pilots. So ministers speaking in virtual meetings does not change the issues that existed before the pandemic and certainly, the Singaporean restriction of entry to foreigners adds to the challenge.

AC has maintenance contracts in SIN and many of us fly there partly with AC connecting in TPE, HKG, NRT, HND or weirdly for me sometimes, BNE. If/when AC and the world recovers, SIN and existing routes can be re-evalutated and restarted.

I.M.H.O.
Old May 5, 2020, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by rally66
Just some real, but statistically irrelevant, data.
Speaking of statistics.
An employee told me the 787 fleet is doing about 35% of it's pre covid flying.
Makes sense with all the freight flying.
Old May 5, 2020, 2:00 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond *G/AC 35K *S/Marriott Bonvoy Platinum/Hilton Gold
Just got back after flying on AC64 today.

At check-in, they pointed at a sign and asked you to glance over it. The sign asked questions like "Do you have a fever?" or "Have you been denied boarding in the last 14 days due to COVID?", however, the check-in agent immediately took the sign back after a 3 second glance. I don't see the point of asking the questions if people have the opportunity to be dishonest about it very, very easily. This was the only flight leaving from ICN T1 within a 2 hour timeframe. Terminal was eerily quiet but all shops were open.

Boarding was a mess with no social distancing and a United-esque boarding process with one line for Zone 1/2 and Zone 3-6. The gate agents did not stagger boarding to let passengers clear the jetway, nor did they enforce social distancing. CleanCare+ temperature checks were not implemented yet and the mandatory questionnaire was not asked during boarding.

Passenger loads were about 40% in J, 100% in PY and 40% in Y. The first three May AC63/64 flights got upgraded to the 777-300ER v2 instead of the 787-9. J seat was dirty with food crumbs everywhere. Masks were required throughout the flight, except when eating. The only real good part about this flight was the Korean Air catering, which provided decent meals with acceptable portions compared to YVR catering.

Old May 5, 2020, 2:09 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
So if I am denied boarding for a fever, and then in 10 days try to fly again, and am denied since I was denied within the last 14, and then try again 10 days later... Can I ever fly again?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.