Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Master thread COVID-19/Coronavirus; travel waivers, route changes, AC impacts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2020, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
Key points of AC COVID change/cancellation policy [as of December 10, 2021]:
(see this page under "Changes and cancellations")

Unlimited changes. No change fees. – Until December 31, 2021, if you want to change your flight, we'll waive the change fee. After December 31, 2021, you can make one change at no extra charge. If your new fare has a higher price, you only need to pay the difference from your original fare.

If Air Canada changes the time of your flight, you make a change for free.*
*Within 3 days for North American destinations and 7 days for international and sun destinations.

If your flight is cancelled, you get a refund – If your flight is cancelled for any reason and we don’t rebook you on another flight that departs or arrives within three hours of your original departure or arrival time, or if we add a connection to your itinerary, you can request a refund.

Need to cancel? Save the value for future travel – If you need to cancel a booking, the full value can be transferred to an Air Canada Travel Voucher, which never expires and is fully transferrable, or converted into Aeroplan points with a 65% bonus. Refundable tickets are always refundable.

Flexibility with Aeroplan bookings – Until December 31, 2021, if you want to change your Aeroplan flight reward, we'll waive all change fees. After December 31, 2021, you can still make one change without a fee.
Print Wikipost

Master thread COVID-19/Coronavirus; travel waivers, route changes, AC impacts

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2020, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by YUL_Around_The_World
It looks like the goodwill policy has been EXTENDED to February 15, 2020 ?!

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...han-china.html

Update - January 26, 2020

Because of the recent outbreak of the novel coronavirus in Wuhan, China, we understand that you may want to make alternate travel arrangements. For this reason, Air Canada has extended its goodwill policy related to the outbreak.

If you are scheduled to travel during the affected period, you can retrieve your booking to change your flight, free of charge, to another date or another destination, subject to availability in the booking class of the ticket you originally purchased. Otherwise, any fare difference will apply.

Details and a list of affected airports are as follows.
Affected airport Ticket issued no later than Original travel date Rebook free of chargeBeijing Capital Int. Airport (PEK)
Pudong Int. Airport, Shanghai (PVG)

January 24, 2020

January 24 to February 15, 2020

Until April 15, 2020

Wuhan Tianhe Int. Airport (WUH).

January 21, 2020

January 22 to March 29, 2020

Until June 15, 2020

If you purchased your ticket with Aeroplan or Air Canada Vacations, please contact them directly.

And if you require assistance, you can always contact us directly (1-888-247-2262).

I tried canceling my ticket with Air Canada (directly) to HKG a few minutes ago but they said HKG is not on the list?

Only PEK and PVG are?

How did you cancel it earlier?
Old Jan 26, 2020, 2:42 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Oh sleuth, how ironic is your username.

these aren’t judgments or opinions I’m sharing. These are facts as stated by the Public Health Agency of Canada. I’m not claiming to be knowledgeable in medical or pandemic related matters; so I’m merely writing down what the doctors and nurses briefed us yesterday.

The 2019-cNoV (Wuhan virus) has killed 56 people globally. Each year, approximately 3500 people die in Canada from influenza and pneumonia. The Center for Disease Control estimates 80,000 Americans died last year from the flu. Using the rationale of the quarantine experts on this forum, Air Canada should cease operations to both countries and refund all issued tickets immediately. No other carriers should fly to mainland Canada either.

All elderly, young, ill and otherwise compromised people should be placed in sterile bubbles and we should probably for good measure maintain a safe distance of 10 metres from each other.

I’m guessing the sole reason AC is extending its travel waiver is because it knows it can’t win a battle between common sense and expertly-provided facts when faced against populist hysteria and irrational fear. The customers are always right, even when they clearly aren’t.

There’s a confirmed cNoV case in Toronto and almost certainly (according to PHAC, not me) there are undiagnosed cases in Vancouver and elsewhere.

Air Canada should suspend service to both cities immediately.

Last edited by CZAMFlyer; Jan 26, 2020 at 2:48 pm
Old Jan 26, 2020, 2:49 pm

Programs: AC*SEMM
Ok so how does it work if for instance I want to return from TOKYO instead of HONG KONG (where I have my return ticket) ... will they re-price the whole ticket return from TOKYO and just void the change fee?? or they can switch my return from TOKYO for free ?
Old Jan 26, 2020, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by usepointstofly
I tried canceling my ticket with Air Canada (directly) to HKG a few minutes ago but they said HKG is not on the list?

Only PEK and PVG are?

How did you cancel it earlier?
No I didn't cancel it (YET) ... by I read someone cancelled it for free from HKG ... not me

HOWEVER .. yesterday she was willing to cancel from HKG for free but only for tickets that fly BEFORE Jan 31 ... now the policy is extended to Feb. 15 . I will call to see if they extend HKG as well ...
Old Jan 26, 2020, 3:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Ok so how does it work if for instance I want to return from TOKYO instead of HONG KONG (where I have my return ticket) ... will they re-price the whole ticket return from TOKYO and just void the change fee?? or they can switch my return from TOKYO for free ?

Call AC and ask.

This quote is in a CBC article

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/cor...hina-1.5440950
Old Jan 26, 2020, 3:04 pm

No I didn't cancel it (YET) ... by I read someone cancelled it for free from HKG ... not me

HOWEVER .. yesterday she was willing to cancel from HKG for free but only for tickets that fly BEFORE Jan 31 ... now the policy is extended to Feb. 15 . I will call to see if they extend HKG as well ...

My flight is before Jan 31

​​​​​​I called and they said HKG is not on the list
Old Jan 26, 2020, 3:11 pm

My flight is before Jan 31

​​​​​​I called and they said HKG is not on the list
Try again .. she was willing to cancel mine ... but said up until Jan. 31 only ... unless they changed the rule since yesterday??
Old Jan 26, 2020, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by 24left
Call AC and ask.

This quote is in a CBC article

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/cor...hina-1.5440950
So... what are the odds I can get a refund/credit on a partially used ticket now?
Just want the value of the return fare and not the 1 million restrictions tied to the ticket...
*sigh*

Also note that it says "subject to availability in the booking class of the ticket you originally purchased". Previously for PEK/PVG it said availability of the cabin originally purchased, which could make it difficult for people who want to leave urgently.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 3:27 pm

Try again .. she was willing to cancel mine ... but said up until Jan. 31 only ... unless they changed the rule since yesterday??

​​​​​​Are you in HKG now?

I noticed you said FROM hkg
Old Jan 26, 2020, 5:00 pm

is It AC Res that’s disorganized or it’s just the type of ticket we are holding?

perhaps we should have a summary upfront on our ticket type, destination and response from AC
Old Jan 26, 2020, 6:08 pm

Unfortunately, I just tried calling again but no luck.

They kept saying HKG is not on the list.

Only PEK, PVG and WUHAN are on the list so far, and can change/refund at no cost.

I am from YYZ (Toronto), economy class.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 6:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
Maybe there is an unofficial more relaxed policy for SE's?
Old Jan 26, 2020, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by Nitehawk
Maybe there is an unofficial more relaxed policy for SE's?
Sorry, what's SE's?
Old Jan 26, 2020, 7:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
Sorry, what's SE's?
Altitude Super Elite (Top tier status, aka frequent customers). Could also be for status passengers in general.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 9:07 pm

​​​​​​Are you in HKG now?

I noticed you said FROM hkg
No i have an open-jaw ticket .. i'm still in the US now ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.