FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   AC2411 operated by Omni Air (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/2005596-ac2411-operated-omni-air.html)

david_oz Jan 21, 2020 11:34 pm

AC2411 operated by Omni Air

I’m travelling this Thursday YYC-YVR-HNL, and then on Friday at 8am on the island hopper (separate ticket). I purposefully booked a 3.5 hour layover in YVR because I wanted to be sure about making the connection, and purposefully booked the overnight in HNL for the same reason since it’s not a connection.

maybe I’m being paranoid, but I was just looking at FR24 for this flight, and the on time performance is abysmal. Four cancellations within the last week! Here’s the (potential) issue, by the time this flight is delayed and maybe eventually cancelled, there won’t be another way to get me to HNL in time for the island hopper. Can anybody suggest any tips for proactively managing a potential IRROPS situation with AC from either calgary or Vancouver? How willing will they be to reaccommodate me proactively rather than reactively?

and yes, I’m double checking my travel insurance and making sure I have trip interruption coverage. But I’m more interested in actually getting to Micronesia than getting a refund of a few hotel nights. Hopefully I’m just worrying for now reason, but better to have a plan than not.

thanks

Dave

ricktoronto Jan 22, 2020 12:07 am

Where does this Island Hopper (is that FR24 - OK nope that means Flightradar24) fly from (HNL..?) and to? And you have one AC ticket to HNL so AC has to get you there not to wherever the Island Hopper goes. Their IRROPS if any would affect arrival at HNL, and has no protection on a separate airline on a separate ticket. Could you have bought a single ticket including "Island Hopper"? That would be protected.

Flightaware has the last 10 flights arriving on time or early. Not counting three cancelled flights. (There are two different scheduled departure times over the 10 days - around 1800 and around 2000) Are these non flown flights scheduled or were they cancelled during the horrible YVR snowstorms? I bet the 14th and 15th were when it snowed and was -6, with snow, vs. the current 10 day forecast of 7-10 degrees C (+). No snow.

Usually these sort of have to get there questions (with where you are going) relate to meeting cruises and good advice is to arrive a full day or 2 days early. Not 8 hours early. It's not like you have to wait in Milwaukee in the winter. HNL for a few days would be pretty nice. IMHO no snow and typical YVR weather is not going to present an impediment to getting to HNL on time which is typical for the most part.

Sopwith Jan 22, 2020 12:09 am

Just looked at Flight Aware, which shows departure times of 5:56 - 8:53 pm daily since Jan 8, no cancelations. I’ve noticed that the data on these Omni flights is a bit wonky. The departure times are actually take off times, not pushback time.

ricktoronto Jan 22, 2020 12:29 am

Originally Posted by Sopwith (Post 31980207)
Just looked at Flight Aware, which shows departure times of 5:56 - 8:53 pm daily since Jan 8, no cancelations. I’ve noticed that the data on these Omni flights is a bit wonky. The departure times are actually take off times, not pushback time.

But the scheduled departure time is 5:56 pm daily so it's hard to imagine what they are doing for two hours if take off is 2-3 hours later. The snow cannot be an issue now (though boy they forecast over 130 mm rain over ten days). And three hours is a huge deice queue. Maybe it was. In any case all arrivals bar the snow cancels, in by 1 a.m. vs. 10 p.m. so 3 hours at the outside.

Indeed odd data but none that would breach 8 hours as a connection. And then some.

dinotoon Jan 22, 2020 8:01 am

Originally Posted by Sopwith (Post 31980207)

2410/2411 was cancelled on 18-Jan. I was on this flight and it was a disaster at HNL. Air CANADA was only able to find 16 hotel rooms for the entire plane. They were telling people to go back to Waikiki and find friends/family to stay with.

These flights were also cancelled on the 14th.

Both were mechanical and not weather related.

CZAMFlyer Jan 22, 2020 8:24 am

There are no weather, deice or congestion delays forecast at YVR over the period in question. Omni has been as reliable as AC itself over the past couple of weeks, including during the recent snow events. There are three Omni frames based here, all serving Hawaii with a pair of 767-200s and a single -300ER. An option the OP may want to consider if the HNL flight looks in jeopardy is seeing if he can transfer to the OGG flight in case of significant disruption? It should be easy to shuttle between islands from there.

Bohemian1 Jan 22, 2020 9:35 am

EF shows an OTP of 39% with an average delay of 39m. IIRC this is the same metal that eventually serves the YVR-PHX run which has also had issues. But in aggregate I'd be hard pressed to say these flights are any worse than 'normal' mainline.

But be aware that some / most of these OAI flights show as on-time in the various flight trackers even when they are hours behind the published ETAs. Dunno why.

YWG-RO Jan 22, 2020 3:49 pm

I don’t think you’ll have an issue YYC-YVR. The second leg may be another issue. Good chance you’ll make it to HNL, likely late. You’ve probably done all you can. Unlikely you can transfer to 2413 since it would have likely left and/or if you have checked bags. Good luck.

david_oz Jan 23, 2020 5:58 pm

So far so good. Boarded on time and looks like everything is good to go. Luckily I was worrying for nothing.

omni air is pretty ordinary... I guess no more or less than AC rouge though