Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

YYT Blizzard - Day X of no commercial ops

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2020, 5:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: M-Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Aeroplan 50K, DragonPass, AMEX MR, NEXUS

What a storm we had here in YYT this past Friday! Not a single commercial aircraft has landed at the airport since 1:30 AM Friday morning...

I am sure we have seen longer times without any flights before, but this really seems unprecedented!

We will definitely be seeing some big metal when the airport reopens (if it does)! Lol
Old Jan 20, 2020, 6:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by codfather
What a storm we had here in YYT this past Friday! Not a single commercial aircraft has landed at the airport since 1:30 AM Friday morning...

I am sure we have seen longer times without any flights before, but this really seems unprecedented!

We will definitely be seeing some big metal when the airport reopens (if it does)! Lol
Can anyone get to or from the airport from the city right now?
Old Jan 20, 2020, 6:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Crampedin13A
Can anyone get to or from the airport from the city right now?
The airport is ready for commercial flight ops (apparently), but city is still under a state of emergency. Nobody is allowed to drive around unless you are a commercial plow operator or essential worker.

Pretty crazy! I feel bad for the AC employees already who are going to have to deal with lots of irate customers in the coming days when everything returns to normal...
Old Jan 20, 2020, 6:04 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Latest update from the airport authority is no commercial flights before the morning of January 22. The airfield itself is operational and being used by military / emergency aircraft only.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 6:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eigenvector
Latest update from the airport authority is no commercial flights before the morning of January 22. The airfield itself is operational and being used by military / emergency aircraft only.
Yes, that is correct!

Scroll down after you click this link to see all the before and after photos! It is absolutely wild.

Old Jan 20, 2020, 6:28 pm

Programs: AC P25
The airport is ready for commercial flight ops (apparently), but city is still under a state of emergency. Nobody is allowed to drive around unless you are a commercial plow operator or essential worker.

Pretty crazy! I feel bad for the AC employees already who are going to have to deal with lots of irate customers in the coming days when everything returns to normal...
Lots of social media reports of customers flights cancelled and no answer on the phone from AC and no way to rebook
Old Jan 20, 2020, 8:21 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE100K, Accor Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium Elite, BW Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
At least for once this is a TRUE weather delay/cancellation for AC to reject compensation.
D582 and ecc like this.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 10:13 pm

Programs: *$ Green
But there are flights taking off and landing!! This cant be weather!
D582, ecc and wrp96 like this.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 12:27 am

Programs: AC 75K (*G), NEXUS
Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
But there are flights taking off and landing!! This cant be weather!
Yeah it looks like the airport is holding out on commercial flights until the state of emergency is lifted.

Once AC gets the go-ahead it seems like an armada of widebodies will be on their way to YYT!

wrp96 likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 4:56 am

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
My dad was originally booked on a flight arriving yesterday, rebooked to Thursday. No indications of widebodies coming yet. And even though he was stuck in a connecting airport, no compensations were offered. Luckily relatives live in the transit point.

The town of Conception Bay South has lifted its state of emergency entirely, while my town allows normal lives for much of the day. Just in time for me to run out to get more fuel for my snowblower that was running on fumes 😂
Old Jan 21, 2020, 6:03 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
A runway clear of snow doesn't mean the apron is. I've never seen "C130" painted on a parking line, anyway.

Soldiers and dogs can disembark direct into a 20' snowbank.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 6:14 am

Programs: AC E35K
They can’t really open the airport until they allow cars and taxis to go to and from it. I’m supposed to fly there tomorrow on business, but if there are no taxis, won’t be able to get in and if office isn’t open due to SOE, what is the point?
Old Jan 21, 2020, 6:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YYT82
My dad was originally booked on a flight arriving yesterday, rebooked to Thursday. No indications of widebodies coming yet. And even though he was stuck in a connecting airport, no compensations were offered. Luckily relatives live in the transit point.

The town of Conception Bay South has lifted its state of emergency entirely, while my town allows normal lives for much of the day. Just in time for me to run out to get more fuel for my snowblower that was running on fumes 😂
Hahahaha in the classic Newfoundland fashion, the majority of people are just out looking around (or going for a gawk), but some people actually need essential fuel like yourself!

I wonder if we could get a B787 to clear the backlog of pax? That is the one aircraft we have never seen here for a relief flight!
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 6:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RangerNS
A runway clear of snow doesn't mean the apron is. I've never seen "C130" painted on a parking line, anyway.

Soldiers and dogs can disembark direct into a 20' snowbank.
And that is exactly what they did based on the pictures! Lol
Old Jan 21, 2020, 6:33 am

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
Hahahaha in the classic Newfoundland fashion, the majority of people are just out looking around (or going for a gawk), but some people actually need essential fuel like yourself!

I wonder if we could get a B787 to clear the backlog of pax? That is the one aircraft we have never seen here for a relief flight!
Air Canada should contract the Canadian Forces Hercules to clear the backlog NOW. Military aircrafts are allowed, no?

If this drags on and the airport is closed to commercial air traffic into next week, I might have my dad booked to come in through YQX. Roads in CBS and beyond are much better.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.