Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

*A Gold status determined at booking date or flight date?

Old Jan 14, 20, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA PG

Question regarding *A Gold benefits on AC through having United Premier Gold -

I currently have United Premier Gold but it will expire at the end of the month. If I book AC flights now and put in my United FF#, I'm guessing it would recognize this and I would get commensurate *A Gold benefits. However, the flights are farther in the future, so will AC still just go off of my *A Gold status at booking or will they run some sort of check again?

The reason I ask is because I know Air France is often really slow to recognize changes in partner status. For example, it's almost guaranteed that if your Delta Skymiles status goes up between booking date and flight date (e.g. from Silver Medallion -> Gold Medallion, so Skyteam Elite -> Elite Plus), then you have to remove and re-add your Skymiles FF# to your Air France reservation since they don't check on their own. Is AC similar or more on top of this?

Thanks!
Old Jan 14, 20, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

*A Gold/UA status determined at booking date or flight date for AC?

I'm currently UA PG but will drop off at the end of the month. If I book Air Canada flights now and put in my United MP#, I'm guessing it would recognize this and I would get commensurate *A Gold benefits. However, the flights are farther in the future, so will AC still just go off of my *A Gold status at booking or will they run some sort of check again later at check-in?

The reason I ask is because I know Air France is often really slow to recognize changes in partner status. For example, it's almost guaranteed that if your Delta Skymiles status goes up between booking date and flight date (e.g. from Silver Medallion -> Gold Medallion, so Skyteam Elite -> Elite Plus), then you have to remove and re-add your Skymiles FF# to your Air France reservation since they don't check on their own. Any experiences with AC being similar or are they more on top of this?

Thanks!
Old Jan 14, 20, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by N102DA View Post
I'm currently UA PG but will drop off at the end of the month. If I book Air Canada flights now and put in my United MP#, I'm guessing it would recognize this and I would get commensurate *A Gold benefits....
No. AC will look for status when you check in.
Old Jan 14, 20, 1:03 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Elite/Ambassador. NEXUS, National
That Air France remove/add FF# dance is also needed with Air Canada.

Or has been, anyway.

There hasn't been chatter on this subject, since the Amadaus change a few months ago. Amadaus may itself be smarter/faster/better.

Usually the question comes up when people are gaining status, not losing it. Losing it, it doesn't matter, either you get something extra you full well know you shouldn't have, or you don't.
Old Jan 14, 20, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. Yeah I would be pleasantly surprised if this actually worked and I didn't have super high expectations. I'm looking at some flights to YHZ/YDF/YYT and have the option between WS and a slightly more expensive AC, so this was just a potential tiebreaker (since DL benefits on WS are essentially 0...).
Old Jan 14, 20, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

Got it - thanks! Was expecting this would be the answer.
Old Jan 14, 20, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC S100K, Accor Plat, Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond
Pre-Amadeus, your status was pulled:

1. By res when the number is added (so removing and adding would pull it again)
2. By DCS when the flight record is created around 4 days before departure
3. By DCS when the number is added (so removing and adding would pull it again)

Assuming this hasn't change (and at this point, I think it's a fair assumption), the only way you'll be UA*G is if your flight is in the first couple days of February.
Old Jan 14, 20, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

Oh, interesting. I actually have a different reservation (already booked) on Feb. 4 for YVR-YUL-BRU. It's in J, so would the fact that the itinerary as a whole is international mean I get lounge access in YVR (in the event my UA*G expires before it's picked up by the DCS/flight record date 4 days out in 2.) or just YUL?
Old Jan 14, 20, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC S100K, Accor Plat, Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond
Oh, interesting. I actually have a different reservation (already booked) on Feb. 4 for YVR-YUL-BRU. It's in J, so would the fact that the itinerary as a whole is international mean I get lounge access in YVR (in the event my UA*G expires before it's picked up by the DCS/flight record date 4 days out in 2.) or just YUL?
AC provides lounge access on all J flights. Your status is irrelevant.

*G does very little on AC if you're flying J.
N102DA and Diabeetus like this.
Old Jan 14, 20, 1:25 pm

Programs: AC E50K, Marriott Titanium
Since you're flying J on AC, you'll have access in YVR and YUL. The fact that it is an international itinerary doesn't make a difference.
Diabeetus likes this.
Old Jan 14, 20, 1:29 pm

Programs: TK*G, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Gold
AC's glitchy system even denies valid AC*E and *G from time to time these days...
Old Jan 14, 20, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the clarification. I was just thrown because the AC *A benefits page states: "even if you don’t have Gold Status, you can still enjoy access to our lounges when travelling in international first or business class" but on the Maple Leaf Lounge page it doesn't make the "international" distinction.
Old Jan 14, 20, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, AA, DL, Marriott Silver
Got it - thanks! Was expecting this would be the answer.
technically, your status at time of flight is what matters. On UA-metal, a selected E+ seat if eligible at time of purchase would hold past status expiry, short of change of aircraft, etc, but shouldn’t be any benefits like that on AC.

You’d think they could cut off benefits based on knowing expiry date beforehand, and would be more consistent than having a new status added. That said, when I was YYZ-based and *G on AC, and that dropped, UA club (actually, RCC at the time) admitted me based on seeing me as *G on my Aeroplan several months after that officially expired.

Originally Posted by ericw View Post
AC's glitchy system even denies valid AC*E and *G from time to time these days...
yup, and who knows the status of the AC system as they continue the transition to Amadeus, which is apparently a big mess (though not sure if that has an affect on Aeroplan).

It’ll also be interesting to see what kind of bugs there are later in the year when the AC FF program moves from Aeroplan to ACs own.
Old Jan 14, 20, 2:48 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
How AC handles an expired *G status seems to be an AC questions and as the OP seems to agree by also posting in the AC, will move this to the AC forum for a merger. *A Gold status determined at booking date or flight date?

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Search this Thread
Search Engine: