Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: "Your are not boarding tonight, you're being deported", for asking gate agent's name?

Question: "Your are not boarding tonight, you're being deported", for asking gate agent's name?

Old Jan 15, 2020, 6:24 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Why would you write a complaint starting with this line?

On Jan. 1 night, my wife and I were starting our mini-RTW (round the world) aeroplan redemption, starting in Toronto to Chicago (connecting to Taipei
No one cares (other than FT readers perhaps) it was the start of a a mini RTW and where you were connecting.

The complaint is far too wordy. Brevity is your friend. Long rambling complaints are frequently dismissed out of hand whereas a short to the point one is more likely to get attention.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 9:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mapleg

No one cares (other than FT readers perhaps) it was the start of a a mini RTW and where you were connecting.

The complaint is far too wordy. Brevity is your friend. Long rambling complaints are frequently dismissed out of hand whereas a short to the point one is more likely to get attention.
Yeah, I enjoy a good story on FT, but complaints need to be as concise as possible.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 9:42 am

Programs: AC 75K

To add to that 'mini-RTW' is an FT made up term. The person reading this letter will have no idea what they're talking about...they probably won't care either.
Twickenham and canadiancow like this.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 9:46 am

Programs: W/+1: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott Plat; Hilton/BW Diamond; Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by dav662
What a grouch. I mean the agent. He should have dealt with it politely when refusing. I don't think asking a name of an agent is against the rules. What is AC's rules on this? Can a passenger ask for the name?.
I have never worked at a company where you may refuse your name when asked. As usual, it is the cover-up that gets you in trouble. The agent may not get reprimanded for disagreeing with the pax, but should for refusing his name or employee.
Fiordland likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 9:49 am

Programs: NH Plat, AA Gold
If group 2 boarding is a perk of the TD card and AC does not honour it, the OP should complain to TD credit card and ask them to sort it out with AC.
Twickenham and RangerNS like this.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 9:51 am

Programs: W/+1: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott Plat; Hilton/BW Diamond; Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by JClasstraveller
Deboarded and deported are not similar sounding. The latter has a short “de” sound whereas the former is normally pronounced with a longer “de” sound (akin to “dee“.
Deboarding makes as much sense as "preboarding" (HT to George Carlin).
Twickenham likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 9:53 am

Programs: AC SE100K, *G, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Enterprise Plat

In this case, since the OP's credit card is a TD Aeroplan Infinite and Zone 2 is only a perk on award redemptions, the mini-rtw redemption is actually a relevant detail for this audience.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 10:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by yyckerr
In this case, since the OP's credit card is a TD Aeroplan Infinite and Zone 2 is only a perk on award redemptions, the mini-rtw redemption is actually a relevant detail for this audience.
No, "Aeroplan redemption from my account" is a relevant detail. "Mini-rtw" is not relevant, and confusing to non-FTers.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 10:34 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Then write to Air Canada that on an award redemption, etc, but putting mini-RTW and connection points adds no value (and likely subtracts value).
Twickenham and canadiancow like this.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 10:53 am

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
This thread is a good explanation of why we so frequently see people going to the news media about complaints with AC. There is no accountability at any level that I can identify; going through ACs normal complaint channels is futile; and upper levels of supervision and management have done an excellent job of insulating themselves from any and all customer contact. A classic failure of leadership.
Sandeep1 likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 10:55 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by rxgeek
I have never worked at a company where you may refuse your name when asked. As usual, it is the cover-up that gets you in trouble. The agent may not get reprimanded for disagreeing with the pax, but should for refusing his name or employee.
Is it not the weirdest thing? If it is the demand of the union they clearly don't understand the value proposition of their people.

Automation that checks-in passengers, board flights and compare and check ID with faces can all be done with automation and does not require a human. A good IT/software development group can easily automate all of these interactions.

Having a real person boards the flight, scans the boarding pass and interacts with the customer is all about the customer experience and the humans like interacting with humans. It provides a friction-less way of resolving issues and problems that passengers may encounter. The union should be demanding their staff wear name tags and have time to have positive interactions with customers.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 10:59 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Says who? TD or AC?

Some guy gives me a coupon for a free steak at the Keg and the Keg doesn't take a hand written coupon from some guy on the street, its really not appropriate to start a process to get the Kegs waitress fired.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 11:01 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by Fiordland
The union should be demanding their staff wear name tags and have time to have positive interactions with customers.
And yet one of the AC unions (either Unifor or CUPE) launched a grievance against AC's requirement that their employees wear a nametag/brevet. I believe this was with the launch of the new uniforms.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 11:34 am

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by rxgeek
I am aware of a long (as in 20+ year) grievance battle between AC and CUPE (FA's) and CAW/Unifor (CS Agents) over displaying or using a persons name. For FA's I believe they can use a pseudonym if they want. I know one FA who uses "The Sheriff" on her name tag. I don't know about CS Agents restrictions. One of the issues with CS Agent is their red card must be displayed at all times when on the job. Again this is a specific issue with AC as employer and Unifor or CUPE as union.

As for using employee ID number, that number is also critical in processing staff travel privileges. Back before the internet era (about 1998) I was required to know both my dad's employee number and date of hire in order to call the employee reservation line or do non-rev travel at the airport. Asking for an employees ID number is akin to asking for their SIN/SSN.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 11:46 am

Programs: AC SE100K, *G, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Enterprise Plat
Originally Posted by RangerNS
Says who? TD or AC?

Some guy gives me a coupon for a free steak at the Keg and the Keg doesn't take a hand written coupon from some guy on the street, its really not appropriate to start a process to get the Kegs waitress fired.
This analogy is ridiculous. This is a co-branded credit card with clear benefits.

If Sobeys runs a promotion that says show your Sobeys card at any Shell station for 5c off per litre and I see the same advertising at both Sobeys and Shell, my expectation is that Shell honours the promotion. If they didnt and I was standing at the pump, I would certainly take it up with Shell.

PS: In case you were wondering, heres the page with the advertised benefits from the AC side: TD Cards
IndyHoosier likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.