Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: "Your are not boarding tonight, you're being deported", for asking gate agent's name?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: "Your are not boarding tonight, you're being deported", for asking gate agent's name?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2020, 7:12 am

Programs: AC SE, Shangri-La & IHG Diamond, & Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by yscleo
I sent the following to AC Customer Services, but no response yet. But can a gate agent really deny someone boarding, just for asking his name? This was for AC 7683 on 2020.1.1.

--

Hi.

On Jan. 1 night, my wife and I were starting our mini-RTW (round the world) aeroplan redemption, starting in Toronto to Chicago (connecting to Taipei). My wife and I both have TD aeroplan infinite visa cards. We were supposed to get zone 2 boarding as a benefit of the card, but on our boarding pass it's printed zone 4.

At boarding time, we lined up for zone 2 boarding, showed our cards, and explained to the two gate agents (a female and a male) that the card was supposed to give us zone 2 boarding. The male was very rude and yelled "You don't get zone 2 boarding, the card gives you priority checkin, but not priority boarding". He waved at us to go to zone 4 boarding. (In the past, when we showed the cards, the agents understood the rule, and did let us board)

We went to zone 4 to line up. After my wife's boarding pass was scanned, she walked toward the plane. I was behind her and after my boarding pass was scanned, I asked the male agent "What is your name?" I did not raise my voice or make a scene. I only asked for his name.

This male agent angrily shouted at me: "You are not boarding tonight. You are being deported". He then yelled at the other female agent: "Call security. He is not boarding tonight". I was shocked. How can I be denied boarding, for merely asking the agent's name. This is the start of our trip.

The female agent did not call security. Many more people boarded. I was still in a state of shock. I then said "Can I not ask for your name? What did I do wrong that I cannot board". He replied (loudly), "I know what you're doing. You're not boarding tonight. You are being deported" He then yelled at the female agent to call security again. I continue to be shocked, and very worried that I cannot board.

The female agent didn't call security. I was hoping she'd call, and I have a chance to explain that I didn't do anything, and hope I can board. But she didn't call. I asked the male agent, "Can I just go join my wife? She already went on the plane." He still said, "You're not boarding. You wait here"

I grew more worried about not being able to go on our trip. Eventually everyone else boarded. The female agent walked toward the plane. There was only that male agent and I. I pleaded, "Can I just go board the plane, my wife is already in there". He then said in a calmer voice than before, "I am a Priority agent. I worked as a priority agent for 5-6 years. You don't get priority boarding. TD and CIBC keep giving their customers wrong information. You get priority checkin but not priority boarding." He then showed his hand to want to shake my hand. I shook his hand. He said "Happy new year", and motioned for me to go toward the plane.

I'm glad I was able to board the plane. But the male agent (tall and strong) gave me a real shock and scare.

When I got to my seat, my wife was very concerned but relieved I got on the plane.

Oh, the flight was half an hour late, and the entertainment system (video) did not work for my wife and I (seat 12D for my wife and 12F for me) did not work. We saw many others watching movies on their system.

Please investigate this incident. I still didn't know that male agent's name. The female agents name is something like Ihsia. Please let me know/why a gate agent can yell "You're not boarding, you're being deported" just for asking his name.

P.S. I double checked the benefit of the TD aeroplan infinite visa card. It does still give zone 2 boarding. https://www.td.com/ca/en/personal-ba...infinite-card/
Its unfortunate you had to deal with this terrible behaviour from the male agent. What a way to ruin your start of the trip. On the other hand, you should have double-checked your boarding pass at check-in. Could have prevented everything had you found this out at check-in. Safe travels.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 7:15 am

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
So while I always do find there is often more to the story than just one side (maybe the OP was more aggressive than he though, etc) I do find it HIGHLY suspicious that the GA refused to give their name. If the GA did nothing wrong (or if the GA believed that they did nothing wrong) then there would be no reason to withhold their name. At some level, they must have realized they did something incorrect if they were scared to give it.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by Sean Peever
So while I always do find there is often more to the story than just one side (maybe the OP was more aggressive than he though, etc) I do find it HIGHLY suspicious that the GA refused to give their name. If the GA did nothing wrong (or if the GA believed that they did nothing wrong) then there would be no reason to withhold their name. At some level, they must have realized they did something incorrect if they were scared to give it.
or their employer views any complaint as a black mark, founded or not.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 8:12 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Definitely feels like an overreaction. However, the benefit is Zone 2 on award tickets so I would expect they’d need something more than just the credit card. Personally, I would have stuck with what was on my ticket and complained to TD. You might get a $15 statement credit or something
Old Jan 14, 2020, 8:30 am

Programs: AC SE100K, *G, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Enterprise Plat
Originally Posted by colombianbrew
However, the benefit is Zone 2 on award tickets
This is true for the TD Aeroplan VISA infinite, but the Infinite Privilege gets zone 2 on all bookings. As OP stated they were on a mini RTW redemption so they qualify for the benefit. Either way an important detail.

Interestingly the T&C’s for the Regular TD Aeroplan VISA Infinite state:

Where zonal boarding is available, the priority boarding status will be recognized by a Zone 2 descriptor for the Primary Cardholder and companions travelling on the same reservation checking-in at the same time, which will be displayed on the Air Canada issued boarding pass. Priority check-in may also be extended to companions travelling on the same reservation checking-in at the same time as the Primary Cardholder. To access priority check-in and priority boarding, the Primary Cardholder may be required to show their TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite Card to the Air Canada agent.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite
I would have asked where he planned to 'deport' me to.
I'm wondering about this myself.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 9:13 am

is it possible he was saying DE-BOARDED?
Old Jan 14, 2020, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by s_yvr
lol, you just added another variable to the equation, well done
Old Jan 14, 2020, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by s_yvr
That was my guess as well.

As far as employees and identity - I've seen on a few occasions AC employees intentionally covering-up or otherwise arranging their ID tags to conceal all or part of their name (yes, it was obvious).
Old Jan 14, 2020, 10:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Are you sure you heard right? If you are a Canadian living in Canada, how could you possibly be deported?
I certainly heard him right. He said deported. I was not on the plane but waiting to board.

The female agent had her name tag clearly seen. Not the male agent.

The couple of times the male agent shouted to the female agent to call security, the female agent did not pick up the phone to call anyone. The facial expression of the female agent was "why are you (the male agent) doing this"
In the past when the BP did not show zone 2 and I pointed out to the checkin agent, the agent just shrugs shoulder and said there's nothing they can do.

I don't think I was aggressive when asking his name. It was a calm and composed short question "What is your name?" The response and the use of the word "deported" was shocking to me.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 10:41 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by yscleo
I certainly heard him right. He said deported. I was not on the plane but waiting to board.

The female agent had her name tag clearly seen. Not the male agent.

The couple of times the male agent shouted to the female agent to call security, the female agent did not pick up the phone to call anyone. The facial expression of the female agent was "why are you (the male agent) doing this"
In the past when the BP did not show zone 2 and I pointed out to the checkin agent, the agent just shrugs shoulder and said there's nothing they can do.

I don't think I was aggressive when asking his name. It was a calm and composed short question "What is your name?" The response and the use of the word "deported" was shocking to me.
In that case you were dealing with a low-IQ idiot. You can't be deported, it is an impossibility. Obviously (1) English is not his first language, and (2) he did not pay attention in training class. Reporting him up the chain was the right thing to do.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 11:09 am

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by canadiancow
What are the odds a security letter arrives in the mail?
Greater than zero.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 11:11 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by canopus27
Greater than zero.
Doubt it. The agent did not want to give his name and the female GA did not back him up. So they have likely done nothing to report this incident from the staff side.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 11:14 am

Programs: DL Gold, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
You should asked him to immediately call an immigration agent so you could have seen THEIR reaction when they were asked to deport a Canadian citizen. And if you were feeling cheeky, ask all the other passengers within earshot to stay around and record it on their phones.

Ok, maybe the first suggestion, definitely not the second, which probably would have gotten you "deboarded."
Old Jan 14, 2020, 11:43 am

Programs: AC-SEMM, AA-Gold
You were being bullied. End of story. Follow it up

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.