Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: "Your are not boarding tonight, you're being deported", for asking gate agent's name?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: "Your are not boarding tonight, you're being deported", for asking gate agent's name?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2020, 4:24 pm

Programs: AC SE100k
Whatever happened to “the customer is always right”? I’m not sure I would have handled the situation as calmly as the OP did. We’re not sheep; we’re paying customers and we ought to be treated as such. Apologists should find a time machine and go back to the early 40s in Europe where they’d fit in better.

Years ago I had a confrontation with an AC gate agent (my phone autocorrected to “hate agent” and I debated not correcting it), and upon asking for their name, they insisted (and confirmed by their supervisor when I asked for the supervisor to be summoned) that their collective agreement with AC gave them the right to not divulge their name to passengers. Lunacy. This was a big reason why I switched from AC to OneWorld for about 15 years. Now that I think about it, this may have been pre-bankruptcy for AC so I don’t know if their collective agreements were renegotiated when they went under (one would assume so).
Twickenham likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 4:51 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I think a lot of it comes down to just how preposterous the situation is. No GA would ever react that way to these circumstances. It's insane... or at least it seems that way until you've encountered agents/employees like that.
Yup. I posted, a couple of years ago, probably in your "I work in the airport you are wrong" thread about an Air Canada agent in YYZ who completely lost their $%*! with me. In the days before skipping transfer security at YYZ I was leaving the international arrivals hall and I was heading down the corridor towards the bag drop area, just so I could talk to an AC agent about a flight change before I went through security back airside again. I just walked past the agent at the end of the hall who was busy scanning BPs for some pax and I was through the door and at the transfer desk with the first agent came through the door and started screaming at me asking what I was doing and how dare I walk past her or some such nonsense. I just said in a calm voice "I just need to talk to an agent to change a flight?" and then she huffed and turned around and stormed back through the door again. It was insane.

We'll probably never know what exactly happened with the OP and the agent (non-verbal communication says a lot too). But while most of my AC staff interactions are great (or at least okay) there are certainly some who, and maybe they are just having a bad day, are not above losing it and badly overreacting.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 5:02 pm

He could have ben "deported" to Canada, sort of. Because he had already passed US immigration.
I once had my flight changed while at the gate (cancellation) and the new flight involved a stop in Canada, rather than one in the US. So I had to turn around and pass Canadian immigration.
nk15 likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 5:09 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by JPDM
He could have been "deported" to Canada, sort of. Because he had already passed US immigration.
Even if that possible, it's not a decision a gate agent is empowered to make. If his clearance to enter the US is being rescinded, only a US CBP official could make that decision.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 5:16 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Thanks.

(re)-reading over that thread now, things seemed pretty ambiguous right up until post 90. This thread isn't there, yet
Old Jan 14, 2020, 5:20 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
To be clear (and fair): the belligerent passenger in the other thread was not allowed to fly. The OP in this thread, was allowed to fly -- so I'm not trying to assert the two situations were identical.

I'm just observing that sometimes, people may believe they are behaving reasonably ... and other observers may have a different perspective.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 7:27 pm

Programs: United Silver, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by SuperCargo
\

Years ago I had a confrontation with an AC gate agent (my phone autocorrected to “hate agent” and I debated not correcting it), and upon asking for their name, they insisted (and confirmed by their supervisor when I asked for the supervisor to be summoned) that their collective agreement with AC gave them the right to not divulge their name to passengers. Lunacy. This was a big reason why I switched from AC to OneWorld for about 15 years. Now that I think about it, this may have been pre-bankruptcy for AC so I don’t know if their collective agreements were renegotiated when they went under (one would assume so).
I had an incident with an AC employee in YVR several years ago. She knew I was going to complain and not only did she refuse to give her name, her hand immediately moved to cover up her name tag for the duration of the conversation. She wasn't even subtle about it. She did it so quickly I'm sure she had pulled that move before. You have to like the complete refusal to take any responsibility.
yscleo likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 7:36 pm

the agent should've had a brevette/name badge on. It's part of the AC uniform standards. I work for AC and never have a problem giving my name out.
Deported....could the agent have said "deboarded"?
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 9:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by GS4ACUSA
Deported....could the agent have said "deboarded"?
Originally Posted by s_yvr
is it possible he was saying DE-BOARDED?

Originally Posted by yscleo
I certainly heard him right. He said deported.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 10:48 pm

Programs: *$ Green
Wasn't he at pre clearance? If he was sent back home,he'd technically be deported back to Canada...

I guess this mystery is solved. We can close the thread. 🤣
Old Jan 15, 2020, 12:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by tcook052
Ugh I hate how nested quotes don't work.

I don't think a frantic passenger would be able to tell the difference between the two words.

I bet if I asked American Bovine or canadiancalf to write down what I'm saying, and I said "They told me I was being deboarded at Pearson", there's a good 80% chance they'd think I said "deported". And that's with the benefit of context, for two people who hold top status in various airlines and have to put up with explaining airline and AC minutiae all the time. For anyone who's never heard the word "deboarded" used around a flight (i.e. most people), I'd bump that number up to 99%.

The only reason it took so long to be suggested in this thread is that the words LOOK different. They do not SOUND different.

"Deported" makes no sense. "Deboarded" is completely correct if the GA wanted to prevent the OP from flying after scanning his BP.

It's like being adamant the baker told you he'd given away his flower, and you somehow concluding they were referring to something other than the white powder used in every baked good. On FT, it confuses people. But I guarantee the baker said "flour", not "flower".
Old Jan 15, 2020, 2:12 am

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
Ugh I hate how nested quotes don't work.

I don't think a frantic passenger would be able to tell the difference between the two words.

I bet if I asked American Bovine or canadiancalf to write down what I'm saying, and I said "They told me I was being deboarded at Pearson", there's a good 80% chance they'd think I said "deported". And that's with the benefit of context, for two people who hold top status in various airlines and have to put up with explaining airline and AC minutiae all the time. For anyone who's never heard the word "deboarded" used around a flight (i.e. most people), I'd bump that number up to 99%.

The only reason it took so long to be suggested in this thread is that the words LOOK different. They do not SOUND different.

"Deported" makes no sense. "Deboarded" is completely correct if the GA wanted to prevent the OP from flying after scanning his BP.

It's like being adamant the baker told you he'd given away his flower, and you somehow concluding they were referring to something other than the white powder used in every baked good. On FT, it confuses people. But I guarantee the baker said "flour", not "flower".
Deboarded and deported are not similar sounding. The latter has a short “de” sound whereas the former is normally pronounced with a longer “de” sound (akin to “dee“.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 5:02 am

Originally Posted by JClasstraveller
Deboarded and deported are not similar sounding. The latter has a short “de” sound whereas the former is normally pronounced with a longer “de” sound (akin to “dee“.
Key point here is "normally" pronounced. Maybe properly is better. YPMV: your pronunciation may vary.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 5:11 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Originally Posted by mathemagic
Key point here is "normally" pronounced. Maybe properly is better. YPMV: your pronunciation may vary.
Agreed. If the agent had any sort of accent, that may have blurred the difference. Or if the listener was unfamiliar with the term deboarded, it would be natural for him to think he heard "deported".
Old Jan 15, 2020, 5:59 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
This is getting off topic, talking about recognizing speech. Let's get back to strategies on wrecking a nice beach.
Twickenham likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.