Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC2414 late arriving and now sitting on the tarmac at PHX

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2020, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE100KMM, IHG Spire

Really a question. Would AC only have access to a limited number of gates at PHX? We departed YVR late due to late incoming aircraft so arrived late at PHX. Now we've a 30 minute wait on the taxi way as there is an AC aircraft at our gate. Given that PHX isn't a small airport and I would have thought that other gates would open up, is it that there are only a couple of gates that AC has access to?
Old Jan 13, 2020, 2:13 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium
Think staffing. AC likely only has one GA crew who cannot be boarding one flight and offloading another flight.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 2:19 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Ms. Boh was on the same flight as you in Row 25.

Like you said, the flight leaving late caused them to lose a gate slot. I seem to recall maybe two AC gates at PHX, but I could be wrong.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE100KMM, IHG Spire
Good point about the staffing. The post at least let me have a rant without it coming across as a rant!

First time I've been on a leased Omni flight. Unusual staffing, half Omni, half AC. Just learnt that we're about to move to the gate.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 3:56 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
They only have one gate that services a heavy. B28. It was 3/4 hour yesterday.
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 4:15 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Isotopist
Really a question. Would AC only have access to a limited number of gates at PHX? We departed YVR late due to late incoming aircraft so arrived late at PHX. Now we've a 30 minute wait on the taxi way as there is an AC aircraft at our gate. Given that PHX isn't a small airport and I would have thought that other gates would open up, is it that there are only a couple of gates that AC has access to?
@YEG_SE4Life (great to see you back on FT, BTW! ) has given a detailed answer, but yes, at any airport, an airline only has access to whatever gates it... has access to. I've had multiple multi-hour delays at IAH because AC only had access to one or two gates at that time and they were in use by other aircraft (YYC always gets the shaft vs the YYZ/YUL flights).

This just isn't as noticeable at places like YYZ or YVR where AC controls so many gates that it has significant flexibility. But at outstations, it can definitely be an issue.

Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Ms. Boh was on the same flight as you in Row 25.
Having met Mrs. Boh a few weeks ago and found her to be lovely, I'm shocked that you would make her suffer the deprivation of flying rouge Y!
Old Jan 13, 2020, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith

Having met Mrs. Boh a few weeks ago and found her to be lovely, I'm shocked that you would make her suffer the deprivation of flying rouge Y!
What can I say? She works for a 'thrifty' company. I couldn't even e-up her for some reason. But I did try. Her next trip is to SFO, so I may just join her.

But I've never flown on OAI, so she is one up on me.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 8:45 am

In a bit of a coda to the original post, Ms. Boh is on the return flight (AC 2415) today. Which has been delayed 2:30 due to "mechanical issues" (i.e. the dog ate my homework, so no comp).

The interesting thing for me is that I think I found a new winner in the AC OTP race for the bottom. According to EF, this flight is On Time 5% of the time with an average delay of 54 minutes. Wow!

I think I shall avoid flying AC to PHX any time soon. Or maybe ever.
eigenvector likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 10:04 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
While PHX certainly is a large airport, it is a small outstation for AC and AC only has routine access to the gates it leases. There certainly are emergency situations where the aircraft could be assigned to another carrier's gate or even offloaded at a remote holding area, but that certainly would not be in the timeframes here absent some compelling reason. It is also a bit of a toss-up because it would be close to inconceiveable at any airport such as PHX for AC to use another carrier's gate for a departure. Thus, the aircraft would have to be moved to its departure gate and that takes time to arrange and execute, thus delaying the departure of that aircraft even further.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.