FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   AC offering voucher instead of cash for EU compensation (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/2003992-ac-offering-voucher-instead-cash-eu-compensation.html)

theBeachBoy Jan 12, 2020 1:34 pm

AC offering voucher instead of cash for EU compensation

Juts got a call from AC customer service (wonder why on a Sunday when their lines are likely overloaded with calls!!!)

I submitted claim for the EU compensation for a cancelled flight LHR YUL last month. She told me I was not entitled to the Canadian compensation (of course) but I was to the EU one of 600 Euros

She offered either $870 CAD or a 1300$ voucher.

First time I get a voucher offered (last time it was paid straight), that is basically a 33% discount, but I cannot use it for Aeroplan.

Anyone got a similar offer? Thoughts?

Sometimes we see gift cards / vouchers on Kijiji I don't know if they are usually discounted more than 33% and I don't know if they can be combined with other discounts like 25% codes (from the email seems the only restriction is that you can use only max 2 eCoupons for total payment)

RangerNS Jan 12, 2020 1:45 pm

What do you mean "can't use it for Aeroplan"?

I'd personally take the higher credit than cash (not yet being obligated to use a corporate CC, it means cash in my pocket)...

I guess AC has a 33% margin, factoring in the chance of them expiring.

Often1 Jan 12, 2020 1:50 pm

You are being offered a roughly 50%, not 33%, premium to accept a voucher over cash.

If you fly AC a good deal, this seems to be an easy yes. If you do not, you need to find out from AC what the terms are of the specific voucher being offered. E.g., can it be used on other *A carriers, code shares, other individuals, must the ticket originate in Canada, what happens to any amount remaining?

I would not rely on what happens with other vouchers.

theBeachBoy Jan 12, 2020 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by RangerNS (Post 31941415)
What do you mean "can't use it for Aeroplan"?

She told me I cannot pay for Aeroplan fees using the voucher. Below says only ac.com, AC Res line and travel agent

These are the T&Cs and link to website T&Cs

ABOUT AIR CANADA eCOUPON

eCoupon is valid for one year from date of receipt and ready to use. Simply provide your eCoupon number at time of payment on aircanada.com Canadian and U.S. editions only), through the Air Canada Call Centre at 1-888-247-2262 or with your travel agent.

To pay for the flight, you can use:
- One (1) Air Canada eCoupon plus another form of payment if the eCoupon value is less than your grand total; or
- Up to two (2) Air Canada eCoupons if the combined value covers the grand total of your purchase.

Additional Terms and Conditions are as follows:

Terms & Conditions
Air Canada eCoupon is redeemable at designated locations towards the purchase of air travel and ancillary services offered by Air Canada, Air Canada Express and Air Canada Rouge operated flights. For ticket purchases, you can use up to two eCoupons provided the total cost of the ticket purchase is covered fully by both eCoupons. Only one form of payment is accepted when purchasing a seat or travel option for an existing booking. You cannot consolidate the value of multiple eCoupons onto a single one.

eCoupon cannot be used when completing a booking with your mobile device, for Flight Pass Purchases, to purchase an Air Canada Vacations package, when booking travel for a group of ten or more, for hotel or car reservations or on board our flights.

Treat eCoupon with care and retain this receipt for your records.

eCoupons are non-refundable, may not be sold, bartered or exchanged for cash except where required by law. eCoupons expire one year after received and upon expiry, any balance is reduced to $0.00 and holds no value. Use of eCoupon constitutes acceptance of all Terms and Conditions.

Air Canada reserves the right to change Terms and Conditions without notice.

For complete Terms and Conditions, or to check your balance, visit:
https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...-vouchers.html

Stranger Jan 12, 2020 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by theBeachBoy (Post 31941483)
She told me I cannot pay for Aeroplan fees using the voucher. Below says only ac.com, AC Res line and travel agent

That' correct. But then why would one want to? I believe they don't return change on vouchers so if you use a $1300 to pay for a $600 fee, you lose the remaining $700... Does that make sense in the first place?

RangerNS Jan 12, 2020 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by theBeachBoy (Post 31941483)

These are the T&Cs and link to website T&Cs

What rewards ticket would you be booking that has $1300 in fees, anyway? Just book entirely with that in that case. Seems like $530 in free money to me, if you ever actually fly anywhere.

totti Jan 12, 2020 2:13 pm

Sounds like a pretty decent offer to me. I'd take the voucher any time.

As others pointed out before I don't understand why your are troubled by the Aeroplan issue. There is no good reason to use it for an award booking anyways. I'd rather go ahead and book a flight with AC.

theBeachBoy Jan 12, 2020 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by RangerNS (Post 31941492)
What rewards ticket would you be booking that has $1300 in fees, anyway? Just book entirely with that in that case. Seems like $530 in free money to me, if you ever actually fly anywhere.

We are 5 when we travel, but yes I was able to get to Vietnam for $800 for all 5.

I also think the voucher is better, I just didn't want to say yes on the spot .

Adam Smith Jan 12, 2020 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by Stranger (Post 31941491)
That' correct. But then why would one want to? I believe they don't return change on vouchers so if you use a $1300 to pay for a $600 fee, you lose the remaining $700... Does that make sense in the first place?

Wrong about the eCoupon. You can use $600 on one transaction, then later use $500, then later use the other $200, whatever.

The 49% bonus is a big win as far as I'm concerned. Of OP doesn't want it, I will pay him $900 for the $1300 eCoupon ;)

Sean Peever Jan 12, 2020 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by theBeachBoy (Post 31941382)
Juts got a call from AC customer service (wonder why on a Sunday when their lines are likely overloaded with calls!!!)

I submitted claim for the EU compensation for a cancelled flight LHR YUL last month. She told me I was not entitled to the Canadian compensation (of course) but I was to the EU one of 600 Euros

She offered either $870 CAD or a 1300$ voucher.

First time I get a voucher offered (last time it was paid straight), that is basically a 33% discount, but I cannot use it for Aeroplan.

Anyone got a similar offer? Thoughts?

Sometimes we see gift cards / vouchers on Kijiji I don't know if they are usually discounted more than 33% and I don't know if they can be combined with other discounts like 25% codes (from the email seems the only restriction is that you can use only max 2 eCoupons for total payment)

This is pretty standard with AC. All EU261/2004 claims I have had with them (granted some for much higher values) have been done in much the same way.

In EU261/2004 Article 7 section 3 states that it must be paid in cash UNLESS the passenger in a signed agreement agrees to a voucher (or other services). In order to get the passenger to accept the voucher, there is often a reasonable premium offered to do so. Typically when I submit I'll even note this article and say in advance that I'm willing to accept a voucher for X or cash for X, and they have always done the voucher (my X is usually in the same premium range).

I would take the voucher, it's a fair premium that's in line with what I've always seen in the past, and use it for future travel. Why bother with Aeroplan which has very restrictive seating when you are literally being offered a free flight would of credits to use with no limitations?

canadiancow Jan 12, 2020 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith (Post 31941594)
Wrong about the eCoupon. You can use $600 on one transaction, then later use $500, then later use the other $200, whatever.

The 49% bonus is a big win as far as I'm concerned. Of OP doesn't want it, I will pay him $900 for the $1300 eCoupon ;)

950 :p

SparseFlyer Jan 12, 2020 10:17 pm

$1000

yytleisure Jan 12, 2020 10:50 pm

$1 Bob
oh, wait..

KathrynInCanada Jan 13, 2020 7:58 am

Originally Posted by RangerNS (Post 31941492)

Two tickets, one way from YOW to BCA in business class, for example.

(Which I had to cancel when the cruise was cancelled but it was only a $150 fee which the cruise-line will cover.)

Altaflyer Jan 13, 2020 8:07 am

Taxes and fees

Is there still a restriction with the vouchers that they don’t cover taxes and fees? For a UK flight almost all of the cost is taxes and fees incl fuel surcharge.