Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada just not accepting calls today?

Old Jan 12, 20, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Four Seasons/Belmond Paid Guest

I don't often travel to Canada, and have just rang to make a change. The Director of 4 calls centres is playing a recorded message saying we can't take your call. Is this normal? I'm trying to book UM service for a child I booked online, and suspect it need be done in advance, not on the day of..
Old Jan 12, 20, 9:04 am

Programs: AC SE*100K
Intersection of:

a) AC call centers understaffed at the best of times and
b) still hangover from the Amadeus switchover, most people still cannot do things they used to do online and need to call in and
c) winter storm in YYZ / YOW / YUL last night in to this morning causing issues

So not exactly normal, but not exactly unexpected. Will probably be just back to the long on hold wait by Monday.
Old Jan 12, 20, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Four Seasons/Belmond Paid Guest
Nuclear scare this morning; Check.
Weather? Nope, sunny and blue skies in Mississauga!

Simple and ongoing solution to problem would be more call centres or greater online options. Taking away staff, and not providing a digital means to accomplish something is counter productive at best.
Old Jan 12, 20, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by deadinabsentia View Post
Nuclear scare this morning; Check.
Weather? Nope, sunny and blue skies in Mississauga!
I flew through YYZ yesterday before the rain turned to ice/snow. That is still going in in YOW and YUL. And even the heavy rain in YYZ was causing delays & cancellations. The lineups at the transfer desks were out of this world and e.g. AC put an A321 on YYZ-YOW to clear out stranded pax and get people out of YOW before the freezing rain started here. It was an IRROPs day in eastern Canada yesterday in to this morning, regardless of the weather in Mississauga right now.

Originally Posted by deadinabsentia View Post
Simple and ongoing solution to problem would be more call centres or greater online options. Taking away staff, and not providing a digital means to accomplish something is counter productive at best.
That would require a) Air Canada IT to get their act together and b) Air Canada senior leadership to care as much about the operational performance of the airline as they care about the financial performance. Don't hold your breath.
Old Jan 12, 20, 9:54 am

Programs: AC SE, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AAdvantage Platinum Elite
I've been on hold for the SE/Concierge line now for 10 minutes (second attempt). The SE desk was not helpful and they said their "system is down". So I'm probably being a jerk calling in for confirmation about why im not on my upgrade list for today, despite having put in my eupgrade request at booking. I assume weather IRROPS stuff at a hub generally throws everything into chaos.
Old Jan 12, 20, 10:03 am

d) AC IT issues which occurs more frequently than those winter storms out there

Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW View Post
Intersection of:

a) AC call centers understaffed at the best of times and
b) still hangover from the Amadeus switchover, most people still cannot do things they used to do online and need to call in and

So not exactly normal, but not exactly unexpected. Will probably be just back to the long on hold wait by Monday.
Old Jan 12, 20, 10:07 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Plat/Lifetime Gold, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat
I called at 7am this morning to the SE line, no wait.
Old Jan 12, 20, 10:13 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW View Post

Um ... it rained yesterday in Toronto. But that's about it.
Old Jan 12, 20, 10:17 am

Programs: AC SE, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AAdvantage Platinum Elite
Update: Got through the concierge - they were quick and efficient like always, but opened the call with "Air Canada Consierge - how can I help you? Also I can only help you with upgrades right now because the system is down."
Old Jan 12, 20, 11:29 am

Programs: AC P25K, WS Rewards, DL SkyMiles, UA MP, Priority Pass, AMEX MR, NEXUS, H-Honors, M-Bonvoy
System outage occurring since this morning it seems...

The Altitude line won't accept calls because of this. I have been trying to get my flights changed because of IRROPS related issues, but no way of getting through. I am not sure what to do at this point, thinking about going to the airport.

Would it be worth my while to go out there and see if they can do something for me?
Old Jan 12, 20, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No, Air Canada has not been accepting calls since late November actually. Except from the SE priority number of course.
Old Jan 12, 20, 12:28 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, BA Executive- Blue, Lifemiles, AA Advantage, VIA Rail Preference, Iberia Plus
I've managed to get through and be put on hold by calling the Montreal #.
Initially I called the toll free # and got the message "call us closer to the date".

While I'd be ok with that, I just booked a flight and the system combined my middle names into 1 instead of 2. I know that unless if this gets fixed now (24hr grace period), they're almost certainly going to try and charge me later on.
Old Jan 12, 20, 12:31 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Originally Posted by iceblueshoes View Post
While I'd be ok with that, I just booked a flight and the system combined my middle names into 1 instead of 2. I know that unless if this gets fixed now (24hr grace period), they're almost certainly going to try and charge me later on.
No they won't and it doesn't matter if your given names are squishedtogetherlikethis

Last edited by ABG; Jan 12, 20 at 12:55 pm
Old Jan 12, 20, 12:54 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, BA Executive- Blue, Lifemiles, AA Advantage, VIA Rail Preference, Iberia Plus
Originally Posted by ABG View Post
No they won't and it doesn't matter if your given names as squishedtogetherlikethis
Really?
Sounds too good to be true.
I'm still on hold... 35mins and counting...
Old Jan 12, 20, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by Symmetre View Post
Um ... it rained yesterday in Toronto. But that's about it.
I transited through YYZ yesterday. It rained in a day about as much as it rains in a month, causing delays and cancellations in YYZ, and in YOW and YUL that turned to freezing rain, ice pellets and snow, causing more delays and cancellations that are still ongoing.

Yesterday there was a travel waiver for YYZ, YTZ, YUL, YOW, YQB, YQM, YSJ, YFC, ZBF, YBG, YGP, YGK & YGR. Today there is a travel waiver for YYZ, YTZ, YUL, YOW, YQB, YBG, YGP, YGR, YGK, YYG, YQM, YSJ, YFC, ZBF & YHZ. If you don't think that qualifies as IRROPs that would affect Air Canada's call volume I don't know what to tell you.
Twickenham likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: