Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC schedule change on partner award

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2020, 6:35 pm
Original Poster

AC has notified me of a 2+ hr schedule change to its flights for a trip booked with ANA miles.

Can I ask AC to be switched to an alternative routing on its metal, even if there is no award availability? Or am I stuck with whatever ANA has access to?
Old Jan 9, 2020, 6:38 pm

Programs: AC 75K
The ticket was booked through ANA, so you need to deal with ANA and whatever policies they have.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by Points Poppa
AC has notified me of a 2+ hr schedule change to its flights for a trip booked with ANA miles.

Can I ask AC to be switched to an alternative routing on its metal, even if there is no award availability? Or am I stuck with whatever ANA has access to?
In this case, ANA has access to any inventory on AC for which confirmable space in your class of service is available in substitution for the affected segments. ANA is not constrained by award inventory constraints on AC if AC has cancelled/changed one of its flights.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by pitz
In this case, ANA has access to any inventory on AC for which confirmable space in your class of service is available. ANA is not constrained by award inventory constraints on AC if AC has switched/cancelled/changed one of its flights.
I think this might only be "theoretically" true, but practically a real pain in the butt. It's gonna be a real struggle to get ANA to force AC to open up award inventory and I'm not sure that it'll be successful.
Often1 and gcashin like this.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90
I think this might only be "theoretically" true, but practically a real pain in the butt. It's gonna be a real struggle to get ANA to force AC to open up award inventory and I'm not sure that it'll be successful.
Reward inventory isn't required to rebook on an involuntary schedule change/cancellation. Only confirmable space.

Happens all the time for both reward and revenue tickets. Not at all controversial.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by pitz
Reward inventory isn't required to rebook on an involuntary schedule change/cancellation. Only confirmable space.

Happens all the time for both reward and revenue tickets. Not at all controversial.
You would think, but I've been given the run-around in this exact same situation before. It ultimately worked out, thankfully.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90
You would think, but I've been given the run-around in this exact same situation before. It ultimately worked out, thankfully.
Poorly trained agent perhaps? It gets trickier and riskier if there's multiple carriers involved, and schedule changing on one carrier may not trigger the easy inventory-constraint free rebooking on subsequent carriers. But if its just changing AC segments because AC initiated a change/cancel, that's really no big deal.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 10:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
You don't have to look beyond the AC forum to know that's not true.

Getting Aeroplan to do anything other than open AC space is virtually impossible. They'll waive YQ. They'll waive MPM. They'll waive the max 2 (now 1) stopover limit. Heck, when THEY screw up, they'll even buy you revenue space to get you back on the same flight. None of those have ever required me to say more than "hey these flights (with X/I/O space) would work for me".

But force open space on OAL? It's like pulling teeth, and rarely happens.

Regardless, this whole thread would be better off in the NH forum.
Adam Smith and ChrisA330 like this.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
You don't have to look beyond the AC forum to know that's not true.
Getting Aeroplan to do anything other than open AC space is virtually impossible. They'll waive YQ. They'll waive MPM. They'll waive the max 2 (now 1) stopover limit. Heck, when THEY screw up, they'll even buy you revenue space to get you back on the same flight. None of those have ever required me to say more than "hey these flights (with X/I/O space) would work for me".
But force open space on OAL? It's like pulling teeth, and rarely happens.
Someone's always at fault if a previously valid reservation is broken/changed. Whether NH has to 'buy' AC rev inventory and then merely bill AC for it, or whether NH just submits the desired changes to AC with the notation that they were necessitated due to an AC-initiated schedule change -- that's all back-end stuff, and as you say, passengers need not really concern themselves with the particulars, whether any money really changes hands or is just notionally accounted for and netted out between the carriers as they serve their respective customers.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 4:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is not day of travel IRROPS.

Indeed NH will only have initial access to other award space on AC and will need to ask -- I stress ask -- AC to open award space. AC may not do so and there is nothing NH can do to force AC to do so.

In that event, NH will attempt other reroutes or refund the ticket.

To the contrary on the day of travel. That is indeed AC's to handle and AC will rebook into any available space. If this were to occur the day before travel, I would nonetheless call AC and see if it will help. If not and NH is not helpfui, I would wait until the clock strikes midnight and call AC, it now being an AC problem.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 5:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
This is not day of travel IRROPS.

Indeed NH will only have initial access to other award space on AC and will need to ask -- I stress ask -- AC to open award space. AC may not do so and there is nothing NH can do to force AC to do so.

In that event, NH will attempt other reroutes or refund the ticket.

To the contrary on the day of travel. That is indeed AC's to handle and AC will rebook into any available space. If this were to occur the day before travel, I would nonetheless call AC and see if it will help. If not and NH is not helpfui, I would wait until the clock strikes midnight and call AC, it now being an AC problem.
You win the internet today.

NH told me they can only rebook into award space or provide a full refund. After I pushed them to ask AC, the supervisor literally pretended to call and then told me the same thing.

After a 100 min hold, AC told me they can't touch an NH ticket. I had to go so didn't push it. For now, will keep the free cancellation in my back pocket.

TLDR: Both airlines told me to kick rocks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.