Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Compensation For Delayed/Cancelled Flights

Air Canada Compensation For Delayed/Cancelled Flights

Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 4, 22, 9:32 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Adam Smith
Wiki Link
AC Delayed/Cancelled Flight Compensation Threads

There are several threads on compensation for delayed/cancelled flights operated by AC.

If your question is about which regime(s) you're eligible for compensation under, or which would be more favourable, this is the correct thread.

For information regarding APPR (Canadian regulations), please see: Claiming compensation from AC under APPR (Air Passenger Protection Regulations)

For information on claiming compensation under EU rules (a.k.a. EU261 or EC261), please see: Claiming EU261 Compensation from AC
Print Wikipost

Old Aug 11, 22, 10:07 am

Programs: Air Canada 75k, AAdvantage Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by tracon View Post
What link or who did you talk to to get reimbursed?
I have a large hotel bill to send AC.
https://accc-prod.microsoftcrmportal...eRefundRequest

This form, flight cancellation/delay -> submit an expense . Got a response within a few hours, don't know how related that was to having 75k.
Old Aug 11, 22, 11:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Tit LT Sil, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Accor Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by kangarooflyer88 View Post
I second that request as my parents are still holding the bag for a $280 hotel bill as a result of AC cancelling their flight hours before departure and all they got was a silly coupon for 30% off base fare which for all intents and purposes is valued at $0.

-RooFlyer88
I'd value a 30% off coupon at well over $500, so if it's worthless to you, I'll take it.
Old Aug 11, 22, 12:04 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
I'd value a 30% off coupon at well over $500, so if it's worthless to you, I'll take it.
As would many of us here.
Old Aug 11, 22, 12:49 pm

Programs: TK *G
But, are you willing to trade that coupon for $280?
Old Aug 11, 22, 6:25 pm

Cancelled AC flight from EU, where to file claim?

I was scheduled to fly back to YYZ from BCN on August 9 but my flight was delayed x2 and then finally cancelled. I was re-booked the next day but the reason was "unforeseen aircraft maintenance". While at the airport, I ran into another passenger who told me that since the flight originated from Europe, passengers are entitled to EU passenger laws and he mentioned that he got 600 euros in compensation + any additional expenses (hotel, etc.).

Can anyone verify if this is correct? If so, where do I go to file this type of claim?
Old Aug 11, 22, 6:41 pm

Programs: MH Platinum, AC 75k, Accor All Gold, Marriott Titanium Elite
That passenger is correct.
File directly with Air Canada citing EU 261 legislation.
Chances are they try to get away with it. If you get that feeling , go to EUClaim. They'll go after the airline until they pay, take them to court if necessary. Costs you 25% of your claim, only when successful . They'll get it done though.
good luck chasing AC until the gates of hell!
Old Aug 11, 22, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyer_sam View Post
I was scheduled to fly back to YYZ from BCN on August 9 but my flight was delayed x2 and then finally cancelled. I was re-booked the next day but the reason was "unforeseen aircraft maintenance". While at the airport, I ran into another passenger who told me that since the flight originated from Europe, passengers are entitled to EU passenger laws and he mentioned that he got 600 euros in compensation + any additional expenses (hotel, etc.).

Can anyone verify if this is correct? If so, where do I go to file this type of claim?
Entitled to compensation and duty of care from AC.
As a guide read the first posts of---> The 2021/22 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004
Many airline subforums have a EC261 master thread
Old Aug 11, 22, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by quinzinho View Post
That passenger is correct.
File directly with Air Canada citing EU 261 legislation.
Chances are they try to get away with it. If you get that feeling , go to EUClaim. They'll go after the airline until they pay, take them to court if necessary. Costs you 25% of your claim, only when successful . They'll get it done though.
good luck chasing AC until the gates of hell!
Just did right now and the auto email said it could take up to 45 days to hear back! Any quicker way around this?
Old Aug 12, 22, 1:41 am

Originally Posted by flyer_sam View Post
Just did right now and the auto email said it could take up to 45 days to hear back! Any quicker way around this?
No. And they will likely resist, so don't expect a resolution within 45 days.
Old Aug 12, 22, 3:48 am

Programs: QF, CoUniHound Refugee
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
Perhaps I've not booked enough Air Canada flights but from my experience, rarely would I see base fares in the thousands of dollars unless of course you are travelling in international business class. But at that point, why would you even bother flying Air Canada when there are a number of other carriers which will provide better service, better recognition for status and are subject to air passenger rights legislation (i.e. KLM). Can such a coupon be used for travel on Qantas or KLM? How is this any different from the 25% off sales we see from time to time on the Air Canada website?

In addition, such a statement fails to recognize the fact that Air Canada did squat to provide any accommodation for my parents travelling in business class and the agent at the airport even promised that Air Canada would compensate them for their hotel. Meanwhile, my father's bags were lost by AC for several days and yet he managed to receive cash compensation for the sundry items he had to purchase. So clearly, Air Canada does have the capacity to make things right both by what the agents say and what they do when they lose passenger's bags.

What I would like to know is what are the next steps on their end? We've already replied to their gesture (CC'ing the CEO of AC) but haven't heard back and it's been several weeks already. Is this something that needs adjudication by the CTA? How does one elevate complaints to someone who will actually listen? Perhaps I should include the Minister of Transport, Marc Garneau, to the email and that'll get the wheels moving?

-RooFlyer88
Old Aug 12, 22, 12:35 pm

But at that point, why would you even bother flying Air Canada when there are a number of other carriers which will provide better service, better recognition for status and are subject to air passenger rights legislation (i.e. KLM). Can such a coupon be used for travel on Qantas or KLM?
I don't claim to have any recent firsthand experience but, given what I have been reading as recently as today, I find your comments about Quantas and KLM offering better service than AC right now a bit of a non sequitur. Or perhaps these are not the "better" airlines that you are referring too.

And No, I don't believe that copying Marc Garneau would be useful, as the current Transport Minister is Omar Alghabra. Sending an email to him probably won't get you much more than a template response from his staff.
Old Aug 14, 22, 11:03 pm

Programs: AC50K, Marriott Platinum
So this one has me pretty irked.
AC7877 (YFC-YYZ) on 1 Aug was delayed 4 hours due to pilot scheduling/late inbound aircraft. They kept us updated at the gate. Anyhow, I landed in YYZ about 5 minutes after my connection to YVR left without me (it left exactly on time, which would have been a first for me this year, naturally). There were no more flights that night.
The AC agents at YYZ were amazing. Gave me a hotel and meal vouchers. Zero fuss at all. Gave me the compensation info package and told me how to ensure I got compensated. Left zero doubt that this was eligible.
Of course, I submitted the request ASAP. Not only was it denied, but they're now claiming it was a safety (mechanical) issue. I didn't even get offered a coupon. Nada. I know the industry is chaotic right now. But this one has just left me at a loss. How have we gotten to the point where the standard of care is merely laughable and this "industry leader" is just concocting false narratives habitually? All while flight prices are as high as I've ever seen?
Old Aug 24, 22, 2:59 pm

So... I will be claiming compensation for cancellation and rerouting from CDG to YYZ resulting in a 19:28 delay on arrival. The reason for the original flight's cancellation is "a technical issue". While the APPR compensation is potentially higher, I gather I would be a fool to not settle for what EU261 can get me under the circumstances. Does anybody disagree?
Old Aug 24, 22, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by blue2002 View Post
So... I will be claiming compensation for cancellation and rerouting from CDG to YYZ resulting in a 19:28 delay on arrival. The reason for the original flight's cancellation is "a technical issue". While the APPR compensation is potentially higher, I gather I would be a fool to not settle for what EU261 can get me under the circumstances. Does anybody disagree?
Without knowing all of the details, I would certainly go for the EU261 claim first since AC is likely to use the "safety" excuse anyway.

Again, you know the details here better than us.
Old Aug 24, 22, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I got to thinking about how Air Canada handled my APPR claim. The sheer arrogance of their response that crew scheduling is not their fault, thumbing their nose at APPR designed to protect Canadians against unpunctual flights. The fact that someone flying for 10 on RyanAir or EasyJet would receive their EU 261 compensation without so much as a fight meanwhile those of us spending hundreds of times more on said flight are lucky if we get a meal and hotel voucher. I also know that the fight ahead to get what is entitled may be a long way involving the ACCC, CTA, small claims courts in Australia, Ontario and New Brunswick depending on how things go. I can completely understand why many people would simply accept the coupon handed to them as compensation. I also see, looking at this thread that there are many people in a similar situation. For whatever reason I just don't think it's right for Air Canada to be flagrantly breaking the law.

Hence, what I propose for those interested is we form a class action suit against Air Canada to get this compensation doled it. I reckon there must be thousands of people in the same situation as I and clearly it would be more economical if we all joined forces and sought remedy through a class action than to go our own way and wait weeks, months or perhaps evens years for the CTA to get back to us given the many appeals they have to look at. I'll be contacting law firms here in Australia and in Canada ( I know a couple that deal with aviation related class actions) to see if there is any interest in taking up the case. I'll try and keep people posted on the progress of this as I go along.

I stand corrected. Notwithstanding this fact, this coupon will do little use for me as I book flights on Delta or Qantas in the coming months. It will not cover the expenses incurred out of pocket by the long layover by yours truly. Only cash can do that and per APPR this is what I'm entitled to due to a cancellation entirely within Air Canada's control.

-RooFlyer88
You can try the credit card chargeback route based on not getting the product that you paid for - as a matter of fact, it would be better if most people would just start filing chargebacks as a group to overwhelm their ability to respond.

At least if my flight tomorrow ex-LAX goes haywire, I have an option to just take AC to small claims court in LA County and probably land a default judgement that I can cash in at the ticket counter with the help of the County Sheriff.

Search this Thread