5. SM - Super Elite 1 MM
6. SE - Super Elite
7. Everyone else
Print Wikipost

Meal Priority on AC (2020 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2020, 9:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by daniellam
Perhaps they should take account of allergies (ones where there are no special meals for) as well?

Eg. No shellfish, no eggs, no beef (but can't have Indian spices so HMNL is out of the question) etc?

"What would you like to have for dinner sir? Any allergies?"
Lie and say you're allergic to everything except the meal choice you want?
Plumber and canadiancow like this.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 10:17 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Lie and say you're allergic to everything except the meal choice you want?
"Well, we have the option of your lifetime problem you did not speak up against... and a different lifetime problem you did not speak up against."
Old Jan 9, 2020, 11:16 pm

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by canadiancow
1. VIP
2. SE
3. Everyone else
4. Cons
FIFY
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 11:35 pm

Having lower status than the rest of the posters, and with the occasional paid J, I can confirm that status comes before fare. Last month on a paid J (P? Z?) Rouge flight, with the woman beside me on a full J fare, we were both told that the 1 option left was apparently great! To be fair, it was better than I expected .

There are better ways to deal with it, I think, but that's the game.

Dr. PITUK
Old Jan 10, 2020, 12:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by painintheuk
There are better ways to deal with it, I think, but that's the game.

Dr. PITUK
Yeah, the ability to pre-order online.
(one can only dream)
Old Jan 10, 2020, 12:57 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Everyone here is talking about the order in which orders are taken. The OP actually asked about the order in which they're served.

So, rok233 , was your question about ordering or serving of meals?

If it was actually about serving the meals, that's usually just done front to back, although may depend on which items have been ordered. Sometimes, for example, 3C might be next up but the meal they pull out is the one that 4D ordered so they'll take 4D's meal first.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 2:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Everyone here is talking about the order in which orders are taken. The OP actually asked about the order in which they're served.

So, rok233 , was your question about ordering or serving of meals?

If it was actually about serving the meals, that's usually just done front to back, although may depend on which items have been ordered. Sometimes, for example, 3C might be next up but the meal they pull out is the one that 4D ordered so they'll take 4D's meal first.
The thread title says "meal preference"... so yeah, rok233 what is it that you want to know?

For widebodies, it seems that it is front to back when there are FAs going down both aisles at the same time. But it seems that it is reverse horseshoe (like in the old days) when it's just the one cart.
And yeah, single aisle is front to back.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 5:58 am

Programs: AC SEMM, Nexus
Rouge wide bodies start serving from the back of AC/D moving forward and then doing F/JK as there are only 2 crew serving the cabin. As for asking, I was almost always asked for my meal meal choice after SE and SM as a DM except for those cabin crew who did not know what DM meant.
Delta does something different, west/northbound front to back, south/eastbound back to front or vice versa.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 6:00 am

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by rok233
I was in business class recently and noticed that the flight attendant skipped the first couple of rows and served a couple in the third row their meal first. Could someone tell me which order they decide to serve the meals?
Taking orders (for meal choice) and serving meals are two different things.

Taking orders is done in order by status, as adequately explained up-thread. Serving meals is typically done front-to-back in the J cabin. In my experience exceptions to this could be when a special meal is pre-ordered, or on a short long haul (YYZ/YOW/YUL to LHR) when the PAX requests the express service option.
--
13F
Old Jan 10, 2020, 6:18 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Serving the main course also seems to be done in batches: all the pastas get served at once, all the beef in another batch, all the fish next...
Old Jan 10, 2020, 7:06 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
Due to favouring Asian carriers lately I have fallen to the AC bottom pile (P25K), and despite having practically no status, I almost always get what I want (fish or beef).

If I pay for a J fare and have no status whatsoever, there better be a fish or beef dish for me even if I’m the last one to take the order. This has nothing to do with status, but rather what a paid J should get me. I can’t stand the pork or chicken mains they serve.
PB53x11 likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 8:30 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE100K, Accor Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium Elite, BW Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by theOtherHolmes
Due to favouring Asian carriers lately I have fallen to the AC bottom pile (P25K), and despite having practically no status, I almost always get what I want (fish or beef).

If I pay for a J fare and have no status whatsoever, there better be a fish or beef dish for me even if I’m the last one to take the order. This has nothing to do with status, but rather what a paid J should get me. I can’t stand the pork or chicken mains they serve.
I am SE and I also agree full paid J should get it before eUp SE..
Old Jan 10, 2020, 8:50 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Most people sitting in J have "paid", unless it's a non-rev or the rare op-up.

eUps are currency.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 9:46 am

Programs: status-free
Originally Posted by theOtherHolmes
Due to favouring Asian carriers lately I have fallen to the AC bottom pile (P25K), and despite having practically no status, I almost always get what I want (fish or beef). If I pay for a J fare and have no status whatsoever, there better be a fish or beef dish for me even if I’m the last one to take the order. This has nothing to do with status, but rather what a paid J should get me. I can’t stand the pork or chicken mains they serve.
"There better"... or what? You'll take away your infrequent business? :-)
Old Jan 10, 2020, 9:46 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE100K, Accor Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium Elite, BW Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
Most people sitting in J have "paid", unless it's a non-rev or the rare op-up.

eUps are currency.
Actually now that you wrote it, I agree that we chose eUps and they have a certain value as other perks like the WiFi

I stand corrected, keep taking my selection early

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.