7. Everyone else
Print Wikipost

Meal Priority on AC (2020 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2022, 12:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Stranger
Incidentally, is there a policy whereby SE MM comes before regular SEs? I recently had an experience whereby it appeared she went though all other SEs beforec oming to me. I tried asking but the answer I ot was that she had a priority. I did not feel like pursuing.
The best of our knowledge is in the wiki.
Old Nov 25, 2022, 9:45 am

Programs: Aeroplan
I wrote in about my most recent issues I talked about in the increased service thread. Strangely got a response in like 2 days (typically way longer). I’m not sure why I even bother to write in when I get responses like this.

The inflight meal issue may have been a result of your travel on your eUpgrade credits. The usually do the revenue Business class passengers first and then make their way to eUpgrade customers for their meal choice. I am sorry to hear that we did not have enough of your preferred meal choice left available for you.
Upgrade confirmed 14 days out at the SE window. What this agent says completely contradicts the eupgrade terms of service.

Not offered anything. Not even a 10% code. I wrote back and showed the agent the terms of service and also informed him that the FA SOP’s indicate XM/X, SM/SE as the priority. Wonder if I’ll even hear back.
Old Dec 4, 2022, 4:06 pm

Programs: AC 75k
Originally Posted by The Lev
Next time order your choice of dinner for breakfast.
Can you do that? I’d love to try that on my next late night TATL.
Old Dec 4, 2022, 5:23 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Accor Diamond, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Stranger
No meal for upgrades, isn't that for gate upgrades only? Who used to have some mention on their boarding pass.

Otherwise the cabin crew cannot see if paid J or confirmed upgrade.
Pre-Covid I’d had a couple of instances where my upgrade cleared from LAX to YVR/YYZ well in advance, but I was informed on board that there would be no meal because I was “upgraded”. The flights were reverse-catered and they sold a number of J seats after the planes left Canada. Ideally they should model last minute J demand and cater for the unexpected, but they don’t.

In both cases the crew “created” a tray with some items from the back and a main entree (there were more mains than trays). The crews went above and beyond, but they shouldn’t have been put in that situation to begin with.
Old Dec 4, 2022, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by chris-price
Can you do that? I’d love to try that on my next late night TATL.
Yes you can. It's printed right on the J menu at the bottom with a box around it - "Dine on demand". The crew might look at you a bit funny but they'll do it.
Old Dec 4, 2022, 8:10 pm

Programs: AC 75k
Originally Posted by The Lev
Yes you can. It's printed right on the J menu at the bottom with a box around it - "Dine on demand". The crew might look at you a bit funny but they'll do it.
Thanks Lev, I assumed that meant delay it by an hour or so to catch up on work. So next flight I’ll eat in the YYZ SS, get some shut eye on board, and reserve the inflight dinner meal before landing in AMS ( I have an onward flight on a LCC with no lounge etc). I’m curious to see how the crew responds!
Old Dec 4, 2022, 9:35 pm

Thanks Lev, I assumed that meant delay it by an hour or so to catch up on work. So next flight I’ll eat in the YYZ SS, get some shut eye on board, and reserve the inflight dinner meal before landing in AMS ( I have an onward flight on a LCC with no lounge etc). I’m curious to see how the crew responds!
I'm confused, is this to mean you can eat dinner twice? Once when it's served and again next am as breakfast?

I'm also now leery of using eupgrades to find out they don't have meals for us lol
Old Dec 4, 2022, 10:11 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE; Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by Shylok
I'm confused, is this to mean you can eat dinner twice? Once when it's served and again next am as breakfast?

I'm also now leery of using eupgrades to find out they don't have meals for us lol
No. you only have one inflight dinner in this case, but you can choose when to have it.
Old Dec 4, 2022, 10:19 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by Benner
Pre-Covid I’d had a couple of instances where my upgrade cleared from LAX to YVR/YYZ well in advance, but I was informed on board that there would be no meal because I was “upgraded”. The flights were reverse-catered and they sold a number of J seats after the planes left Canada. Ideally they should model last minute J demand and cater for the unexpected, but they don’t.

In both cases the crew “created” a tray with some items from the back and a main entree (there were more mains than trays). The crews went above and beyond, but they shouldn’t have been put in that situation to begin with.
I’d write in about this. The eupgrade terms and conditions clearly state:

For airport standby eUpgrade requests on flights within North America, we will do our utmost, but cannot guarantee the meal service of the higher cabin, where available.
If your upgrade cleared well in advance, you were not an airport standby eupgrade. If you were confirmed in advance they knew you were in J and could have catered appropriately.
Stranger, Benner and canadiancow like this.
Old Dec 4, 2022, 11:14 pm

That's also... odd. Pre-covid, they shouldn't have known at all that you were an upgrade. I don't know what they see now.

The only time I had an issue was when the GA explicitly told the SD a few seat numbers before push-back, with no other information, so a few of us did not get meals. I was not an upgrade.

Well there was the other time the Jazz FA said I was an upgrade because all the documentation was wrong about what ML*1 meant (in this case, I was a downgrade). But those codes are gone.
Old Dec 5, 2022, 8:06 am

Programs: AC*SE MM , Marriott Lifetime Platinum
I've done this a few times and I would advise you to let the crew know as soon as you can after you board. If you wait until they come around and ask what you want they will most likely tell you it is already cooking. If you do catch it in time (so they can set it aside) they will tell you they need about 45 minutes notice before they can serve it (to heat it up).
Old Dec 5, 2022, 8:19 am

Programs: AC, BA, Marriott, SPG
I don't think crew knows upgrades from paid tickets on the PIL except for gate upgrades (where ML code is next to name). Maybe things have changed though?

I think any non rev passengers should still be last, not sure it is always followed though. I had a deflated seat once to TLV and there was one non rev in J and no open seats so they offered to kick them out of their seat and give me it for the remainder of the flight. Not perfect example of meal choice but demonstrates that SD will prioritize other passengers over non rev.
Old Dec 5, 2022, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
There are still many FAs that have no idea what "ST" means.

Added: Are there any (common) PIL codes that start with "S" that is not related to being any level of SE-ness?

Last edited by yyznomad; Dec 5, 2022 at 2:44 pm
Old Dec 5, 2022, 3:18 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by canadiancow

Well there was the other time the Jazz FA said I was an upgrade because all the documentation was wrong about what ML*1 meant (in this case, I was a downgrade). But those codes are gone.
There are 3 cabin Jazz flights?
Old Dec 5, 2022, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by RangerNS
There are 3 cabin Jazz flights?
I was paid J on a CR9 and they swapped it for a DH4. And she was absolutely certain I had not paid for J. Absolutely certain. Because I was ML*1.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.