Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Crew bases - why YWG?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2020, 10:27 am

Programs: TK *G
Originally Posted by marchelli
RCAF is also headquartered there. I wonder how many pilots do both AC and RCAF reserves.
From what I heard, unlike US, in Canada most of the commercial pilots are not coming from the military.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 12:26 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by aubreyfromwheaton
It's a throwback from WW2 .. Winnipeg was felt to be safest from German and Japanese attacks. I made that up. Maybe it's true.
AC was originally a division of CN Rail. Winnipeg was always a key transit point between Western Canada and Central Canada.

When AC had DC-9 it was not unusual to see Winnipeg as a key transit point. The mid-day YVR-YOW flight would stop in YWG. Back in those days there was a summer seasonal service from YWG to Heathrow.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 12:31 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by Fiordland
AC was originally a division of CN Rail. Winnipeg was always a key transit point between Western Canada and Central Canada.

When AC had DC-9 it was not unusual to see Winnipeg as a key transit point. The mid-day YVR-YOW flight would stop in YWG. Back in those days there was a summer seasonal service from YWG to Heathrow.
That makes as much sense as the Atlantic ferry service being HQ'd in Moncton.

Oh.

Carry on then.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 5:30 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by RangerNS
That makes as much sense as the Atlantic ferry service being HQ'd in Moncton.

Oh.

Carry on then.
From a population center perspective it made sense 75 years ago and probably into the 1960s.

From an aircraft perspective a DC-9 could get to most parts of Western Canada from Winnipeg and most parts of Central Canada. Not the case with Calgary.

Today it no longer makes sense.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 5:47 pm

Programs: Back of the bus

I remember taking the YWG-LHR in 1980 ---- with a refuelling stop in Prestwick. I was 5 yeas old and back then AC gave out awesome kits to every kid ... loaded with chocolate, colouring, a plastic plane, etc. Good fun!

Last edited by jazzsax; Jan 18, 2020 at 4:46 pm
Old Jan 18, 2020, 7:48 am

Programs: UA Silver
... and there I was thinking Thunder Bay was a train hub for CP and CN...

but back closer to topic: I don’t see the connection between the location of crew bases and hubs. Porter has a crew base in YQT and there are plenty of smaller US regional carriers with crew bases in smaller communities (Colorado Springs comes to mind as a crew base for one of the UA regional carriers.)
Old Jan 19, 2020, 7:41 am

Programs: AC Elite
One must not discount the fact that Winnipeg is the centre of the universe. All things good and proper come from there! 😁
Old Jan 19, 2020, 7:48 am

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by Cloud Lounger
One must not discount the fact that Winnipeg is the centre of the universe. All things good and proper come from there! 😁
Amen to that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.