Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Claiming compensation from AC under APPR (Air Passenger Protection Regulations)

Claiming compensation from AC under APPR (Air Passenger Protection Regulations)

Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 24, 22, 6:47 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Adam Smith
Wiki Link
AC Delayed/Cancelled Flight Compensation Threads

There are several threads on compensation for delayed/cancelled flights operated by AC.

If your question is about APPR (Canadian regulations), this is the correct thread.

For information regarding which regime(s) you're eligible for compensation under, or which would be more favourable, please see: Air Canada Compensation For Delayed/Cancelled Flights

For information on claiming compensation under EU rules (a.k.a. EU261 or EC261), please see: Claiming EU261 Compensation from AC
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 15, 20, 5:33 am

Programs: AC SE*100K
My flight this morning is delayed. Air Canada is listing the reason as weather affecting the inbound aircraft. The fin I’m on has been here since last night and has been sitting at the gate.

As long as there is no oversight on this and AC is permitted to tell bald faced lies about the reasons for delays then this whole thing is completely useless.
xanthuos likes this.
Old Feb 15, 20, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW View Post
My flight this morning is delayed. Air Canada is listing the reason as weather affecting the inbound aircraft. The fin I’m on has been here since last night and has been sitting at the gate.

As long as there is no oversight on this and AC is permitted to tell bald faced lies about the reasons for delays then this whole thing is completely useless.

Make sure you take screen shots from Flightradar, flightaware and AC to prove your side.
xanthuos likes this.
Old Feb 15, 20, 3:05 pm

Programs: AMEX Centurion, DL PLT, UA Gold, Stariott LT Plat., National EE
Have a friend that just went through a 6 hour delay on AC1561 YYZ-YVR today.

Looks like AC status page is saying it was delayed due to technical reasons.

We’ll see if this changes or AC going to argue safety lol

Last edited by secretalcoholic; Feb 15, 20 at 3:14 pm
Old Feb 15, 20, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
Can someone please post a link or address where we need to send claims?
Old Feb 15, 20, 5:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by bocastephen View Post
Can someone please post a link or address where we need to send claims?
@Jebby_ca posted this upthread (post 5)

Originally Posted by Jebby_ca View Post
Use the following form:

https://accc-prod.microsoftcrmportal...da-contact-us/

Flight Delay or Cancellation Claim

Submit your details there and wait for a reply.

I just did the same for a cancelled flight. Let's see what they reply with.
bocastephen likes this.
Old Feb 18, 20, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by secretalcoholic View Post
Looks like an inquiry has been launched.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/cta...463206?cmp=rss

"The Canadian Transportation Agency has launched an inquiry into allegations from passengers that airlines aren't adequately explaining their reasons for denying compensation for delayed flights.

The CTA said it has received "multiple" complaints from passengers who were not satisfied with the explanations they got. As a result, the agency will spend the next six weeks investigating the complaints and gathering evidence from the airlines involved."
Looking forward to see what cones out of it, though my expectations are low due to CTA's past complacency towards airlines
secretalcoholic likes this.
Old Feb 19, 20, 1:29 pm

Well, we have joined the group who has been denied compensation. We were late leaving to begin with, boarded the plane, started to taxi then went back to the gate. Pilot told us that there was a warning light that came on and that was the reason for the delay. Emails we received stated it was a mechanical delay.

Air Canada replied "In this instance, the compensation you are requesting does not apply because the delay was caused by a safety-related risk."

Um, yes, due to mechanical issue. They gave us 200pp in e-vouchers which we can't even use at the same time unless the second voucher covers the total cost of the balance of our flights.

My question is, where do I forward my complaint now? I intend to write to Air Canada but am thinking there should be somewhere else I should send the complaint. Any suggestions?
Old Feb 19, 20, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Tit LT Sil, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Accor Gold, UA Silver
Under the regulations, mechanical issues are not eligible.

I wouldn't even bother, as you're just conflating the real problem of claims being denied that ARE eligible.
Old Feb 19, 20, 5:10 pm

Programs: AC*100K MM, HHonors Diamond
Recently sent in a claim for a flight delay that was mechanical and caused me a 24 hour delay at final destination. Air canada rejected the claim on safety grounds. I pointed out the pattern of cancellations for that particular route in the preceding week and they gave me a $400 ecoupon as a good will gesture 😀
Old Feb 19, 20, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
Under the regulations, mechanical issues are not eligible.

I wouldn't even bother, as you're just conflating the real problem of claims being denied that ARE eligible.
I filled in the online form, but there was no place to add any detail to the claim, or I assume I do that after my denial?

I think my claim should be compensated, while it was a mechanical issue, it was an issue reported by a prior crew which the mechanics were suppose to fix before releasing the aircraft, and which they did not do so. This is within Air Canada's control. Furthermore, AC made a commitment to change aircraft, and failed to do so, then canceled the flight - I posit this is also something in their control at a hub location.
Old Feb 19, 20, 5:23 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
My flight this morning is delayed. Air Canada is listing the reason as weather affecting the inbound aircraft.
Am I the only one who realizes that late arrival of an inbound aircraft is not the cause of a delay? It is the result of a delay further up the line.
Old Feb 19, 20, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Tit LT Sil, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Accor Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Sopwith View Post
Am I the only one who realizes that late arrival of an inbound aircraft is not the cause of a delay? It is the result of a delay further up the line.
So what would you like them to list as the cause there?
Old Feb 19, 20, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
So what would you like them to list as the cause there?
Whatever caused the delay in the first place.
Old Feb 19, 20, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sopwith View Post
Whatever caused the delay in the first place.
You mean like:

Air Canada is listing the reason as weather affecting the inbound aircraft.
?
Old Feb 19, 20, 10:28 pm

I was talking in more general terms. How often have we heard “late arrival of the inbound aircraft” listed as the cause of a delay?

In the field of root cause analysis there is a concept known as the Five Whys. It goes something like this:

Flight 123 YYZ-YVR is delayed.
Why?
Late arrival of the inbound aircraft.
Why?
Aircraft from LHR-YYZ was required to divert far to the south of the normal route, which added 2 hours to the flight time.
Why?
Closure of a section of airspace over the north Atlantic.
Why?
A volcano erupted in Iceland.
Why?
Act of God.
Why?
God is displeased with AC.
Why?
AC is not being forthright regarding cause of delay.

... which leads to the root cause of the delayed departure from YYZ being AC’s obfuscation about the cause of delays.

It's a bit of a whimsical example, but I expect you get the idea.
blue2002, okazon69, D582 and 1 others like this.

Search this Thread