Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fast AC YYZ Baggage Handling

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2020, 8:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan 50K/Star Alliance Gold, Accor Gold, base level Marriott/Hyatt/Hilton
Fast AC YYZ Baggage Handling

Has anyone appreciated how fast bags come out in YYZ? Maybe it has to do with my bags being priority tagged, but coming off AC I have never waited more than one minute for my bag (usually it's waiting for me). It takes me about 15 minutes to get from my seat to baggage claim, sometimes less. This is even as a non-status holder in PE. I even notice the Y bags start to come off by the time I pick mine up and leave. I've also never had my bag damaged, even a crappy $50 one, whereas KL damaged 3 of our 4 bags a few years back (they had all taken at least 10 AC or LH flights). They lost my bag only once on a tight connection in AMS - returned to my place in Toronto within 3 days. Kudos to the rampers out at YYZ (and at outstations) - of course there are bad apples, but most of these guys are great.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 8:17 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
...said nobody. Ever.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 8:18 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
I don't mean to be rude but... Is this a joke? YYZ is one of the worst airports for baggage delivery time in the world.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 8:23 am

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by yyztozag
Has anyone appreciated how fast bags come out in YYZ? Maybe it has to do with my bags being priority tagged, but coming off AC I have never waited more than one minute for my bag (usually it's waiting for me). It takes me about 15 minutes to get from my seat to baggage claim, sometimes less. This is even as a non-status holder in PE. I even notice the Y bags start to come off by the time I pick mine up and leave. I've also never had my bag damaged, even a crappy $50 one, whereas KL damaged 3 of our 4 bags a few years back (they had all taken at least 10 AC or LH flights). They lost my bag only once on a tight connection in AMS - returned to my place in Toronto within 3 days. Kudos to the rampers out at YYZ (and at outstations) - of course there are bad apples, but most of these guys are great.
You positive you were at YYZ (Pearson International Airport)?
cowie, YVR72, JoePendleton and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 8:30 am

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
How do you get to the baggage belt in 15 minutes from the time you get up from your seat? Is this domestic or International?
Old Jan 6, 2020, 9:09 am

Programs: AC 50K (*G), Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
That doesn’t sound realistic. Even walking from the furthest gate I’ve never had the bags beat me to the belt. I’ve waited 40 minutes for priority tagged bags. Timing is very inconsistent.

The other night flying into YYZ from YFC my bag didn’t come out on the belt at all. The baggage agent said it was in Toronto and probably went on a connection runner by mistake and that it would be back over shortly. Long story short the bag was in Toronto, wasn’t found til 20 hours later, and received 30 hours later...
Old Jan 6, 2020, 9:57 am

Programs: AC*E35
My experience has seen a huge improvement over the past ~ 2 years when arriving from international destinations. Even with early de-planing and Nexus, I rarely wait more than 5 minutes. And often the bags arrive simultaneously with my arrival in the arrivals hall. Credit where credit is due. Now normally better than Munich, my benchmark.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 10:09 am
Suspended

Arrived internationally on a flight in November 2019, AC metal business class, my two checked bags were waiting for me when I got to the belt.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 10:35 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada 35K
I had a tight turnaround (50min) in August due to being delayed out of YUL and my bags made it onto my YXU flight no problem. Trust me, I was very surprised to see them pop out in YXU.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 10:50 am

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
These are two different issues. One is how long do you wait at the belt for the baggage to arrive?
Other is how long does it take you to get to the belt?
I have found out too that in domestic there is not much of a wait at the belt.
On the international if there is a huge queue at immigration then it's obviously a less wait at the belt and depending on how long the queue is at immigration there may be no waiting for the bags.
I can't believe that on International flights that normally it takes 15 minutes to get up from the seat in the aircraft and to pick up the bags in YYZ.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 10:57 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by dav662
These are two different issues. One is how long do you wait at the belt for the baggage to arrive?
Other is how long does it take you to get to the belt?
I have found out too that in domestic there is not much of a wait at the belt.
On the international if there is a huge queue at immigration then it's obviously a less wait at the belt and depending on how long the queue is at immigration there may be no waiting for the bags.
I can't believe that on International flights that normally it takes 15 minutes to get up from the seat in the aircraft and to pick up the bags in YYZ.
It can be done if you have Nexus and are at the front of the plane.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 10:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by dav662
How do you get to the baggage belt in 15 minutes from the time you get up from your seat? Is this domestic or International?
Really? My question's the opposite. Even international, how does it take you 15 minutes?

10 would be a slow day.

And then you wait another 45 for the bags to start coming out.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 11:01 am

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
I'm not sure my bags have ever beaten me to the belt at YYZ. Most of my flights are domestic, where I can be at the belt in like 5 minutes from the plane, but even arriving internationally, I don't recall ever not waiting for bags to arrive. Not even once.
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 11:09 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Maybe I am a fast walker but it's not abnormal to be at baggage claim in 10 minutes from the gate. Bags come out in fits and starts, a few at a time, over the next hour or so.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 11:10 am

Programs: AC*E35
Never my experience in the last ~ 12 international arrivals. 10 minutes maximum to the carousel and bag arrival shortly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.